“Great hostel”

and 1 more site!
Academy Hostel
Ranked #36 of 333 Specialty Lodging in Florence
Reviewed February 7, 2013

A lot of conditions when booking. Best location. Decoration in the hostel is beautiful. Really clean. No bunk.Spacious room. Many books in the common room. Snack and cheap wine at 6:30 every day are good for meeting other travelers. Staff is friendly and helpful. I needed to scan and print something. And they did it for free for me. The big TV in the common room is good for movies in the night. But they only have Hollywood dvds…I think they should get more Italian movies. Since Italy is the place to watch Italian movies!!! I spent 4 more euro per night then my roommates, because I booked 2 months earlier than them. Do not book early in the low season!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed in the hostel for five days: four in a mixed room and one in a private room with a friend. The hostel is extremely clean and organized. The location is simply perfect. The staff was very helpful, specially Toto. Unhappily we had a few problems with another guests while staying in the mixed room (one guy started using my shampoo and a girl would arrive at 4 am and turn on the bedroom light), but the hostel staff did their best to solve the problems, even putting us in a private room for the same rate. I would stay there again, but would certainly book a private bedroom.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed the the hostel for 3 nights. The hostel is very well organised compared to other hostels I have stayed at. There's a really cool vibe that you feel as soon as you enter the hostel. I felt like all the staff were really helpful. The breakfast was really good and the whole hostel is very clean at all times however when they cleaned our rooms they never made our bed (we stayed in a double room) which I thought was weird. The only complaint I have was I felt there could be one or two more bathrooms but I guess there's no space for that. The location of the hostel is amazing right in the middle of everything. Overall it was a great stay and would recommend it to anyone visiting florence.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I didn't enjoy the Academy Hostel. The staff weren't exactly rude, but neither were they welcoming, and they were willing to help, but didn't seem very pleased about it. The rooms were clean, but that is to be expected given that everyone needs to leave the hostel between 11-2. It has got a very awkward atmosphere, with everyone using the WIFI on there phones in the common areas, and no one actually talking to each other. The free appertivo tries to encourage socialisation, but just doesn't work this way as people grab their food and leave. Overall, it is a nice place, in a good location of a nice city, but I just didn't enjoy the experience offered by the Academy Hostel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Bo P
Academyhostel, Guest Relations Manager at Academy Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

We cannot accept that,
As you can see, your review is in complete disaccord with the last 101.
Read about us on both Tripadvisor, Hostelworld and Hostelbookers, you’ll see that everyone was enthusiastic of our staff, and of the relationship we establish with the guests.

It's clear that this is not a party hostel, we do what is up to us for encouraging the socialization but every guest’s experience is unique and it is also influenced by the people they have around.

It is possible that during your staying you didn't found any other lively and proactive guest but, obviously, this is not attributable to the Hostel itself, it depend of yours and other’s attitude.

By the way , saying that our hostel has "a very awkward atmosphere" is the most offensive thing I heard(read) since we opened in 2008.

Sincerely

Toto & all the Staff

Reviewed January 24, 2013

You will love this hostel. The staff is outgoing and very helpful, the location simply can not be beaten (1/2 block from the Duomo), the place is spotless, and they do a complimentary happy hour every afternooon. I have stayed at hundreds of hostels over the years, and this is one of the greats.

Room Tip: Nice touch at every bed with the battery powered lights.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

A fantastic clean, friendly and centrally located hostel. The staff were great, extremely helpful. It is SO close to the cathedral and train station it's amazing. For the price the whole experience is excellent. The drinks/nibbles each night helps a single (or group) traveller connect and find people to hang out with.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank RM_Travel09
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Great place to stay! Location could not be better! No bunk beds is bliss! It's definitely NOT a 'party hostel' which is such a HUGE BONUS!... Here you can actually sleep when you need/want to! Staff are really warm and friendly and efficient! Plenty of opportunities to socialise - but in a very CIVILIZED way! They organise 'nibbles' early every evening - and it's a very nice way to meet people and actually TALK to them, instead of going out and getting drunk... Facilities are very good! The showers are fantastic! The only problem I found was not so much with the hostel itself but with the fact that girls these days seem to prioritize their 'fashion sense' over the need to respect others you may be cohabiting with... the high heels on the wooden and stone floors are a nightmare... so are the hair-dryers and the huge suitcases... Other than that, I felt really safe and confortable there for the whole of the 2 weeks I spent in Florence! Thanks, Academy! You're a number 1 in my Hostel book!

Room Tip: The rooms can be dark as they are on the first floor and light only comes in through the courtyard...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel