Academy Hostel
Orbitz.com
Hotel David(Florence)
$189
$181
All reviewsfree breakfasttrain stationamazing locationbedside tableeurope tripil duomoaccademia gallerycommunal areasprivate bathroomrooms are spaciousair conditioningside streetmain sightsgelatolockwifidorm
Reviewed December 21, 2011

The Academy is an incredible value for money and has absolutely no downsides. It's steps from Duomo, on the same street as David, plus rooms are clean, spacious, modern and designed attractively. I couldn't recommend it more highly and would actually choose to stay here over a tired, nameless three-star hotel that hasn't been updated since the 70s. Check out my blog entry on The Academy if you want more specific details: http://cosmogab.com/2011/12/21/the-academy-hostel-florence/.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 7, 2011

You won't be disappointed (so long as you aren't expecting a Four Seasons). The location is PERFECT, right next to Il Duomo in the center of town. Rosa/Maria? the lady who checked me in and is the owner/manager? was SO helpful and SO friendly. The place is clean, secure, and quiet when it should be and loud when it should be (social hour!).

This is THE place to stay for the adventure/budget traveler!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I stayed here for two nights and I have no complaints with the rooms or facilities. The breakfast and dinner (a real treat) were lovely and really made for a nice stay.
The only complaint I have is with the staff. I was very unwell on my first day in Florence. I went to the hostel at 12pm (check in is not until 2pm). I was clearly ill and asked if I could simply sit inside until my room was ready. I was point blank refused, despite my pleas. Instead I was forced to wait a further 2 hours in the cold. Just a warning that whist the hostel is good, the staff need reminding of customer care.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I am biased, it was only my second Hostel ever, but god if I could choose a Hostel anywhere in the World to stay it would have been this one. Right from the moment I arrived it felt amazing. Rosa on reception was the most welcoming person I have ever met, and genuinely looked after every person who I stayed in the Hostel with for those two days so well. Location was fantastic, and I met a whole goup of great people who made the stay even more special. Of all the places I have been in the world that was the first place I really did not want to leave, and am definitely planning my next trip to Florence. As far as everything else in the Hostel, it was very clean, and very modern. And not to forget a treat (some free red wine and antipasti) the hostel provides free of charge every night. 100% Recommend!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2011

There are a lot of things going for this place. Its location is brilliant, right between the Duomo and the Academia. Very close to every place of tourist interest. The place is really clean. There is a lock-out between 11 am- 2 pm so that they can clean the place everyday. The staff is very helpful and also does a great job of getting residents together and encouraging them to go and explore the city at night. Everyday at 6.30 pm they serve wine and snacks and even the breakfast served in the morning is pretty good.

There are bottles of alcohol left in the pantry and are good to kick-off a party. They have washing machines and the dryers and at 6 euros, seems reasonable. We stayed there 5 five days and that was the best place we stayed at during our holiday.

The only problem faced was the room we stayed in was really noisey and it was difficult to sleep beyond 7 am as there would be a very loud noise of some sort of dumping activity but I am not very sure what it is.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends