“Wonderful place, amazing location”

and 1 more site!
B&B La Casa dei Tintori
Ranked #9 of 654 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed in the Indigo Room for three nights in the middle of a two week European excursion which also saw stops in Rome, Dubrovnik and Paris. This B&B was the best all-around place we stayed in any of those locations, based on room, location and value for what you pay.

First of all, this place is two blocks from the Uffizi and one block from the Arno River. Need I say more on location? And because Florence is really pretty small, it was an easy 15-20 minute walk, even with roller luggage, from the train station. The was made even easier because Riccardo, the absolutely awesome host, sent me an email prior to arrival with a map that showed directions from the station to the B&B. Once at the B&B, we were warmly greeted by Riccardo, who helped us with our luggage, showed us to our room and gave us the lowdown on many different places to eat, drink and generally be merry in Florence. I cannot say enough good things about RIccardo, he was simply awesome.

The room itself was of average size with a very comfortable bed and good sized bathroom. It had plenty of amenities and free Wifi. The breakfast was absolutely awesome as well and should not be missed. Riccardo serves you on your schedule (up til 10am) and in particular our favorites were the delicious croissants that RIccardo got every day fresh.

All in all, we were very happy with our choice and would definitely stay here again in Firenze.

Room Tip: I liked the Indigo b/c it was separate from the other rooms, in the back. It was also on a quiet co...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brich013
There are newer reviews for B&B La Casa dei Tintori

Reviewed June 2, 2013

After 4 years since my last visit to Florence this place is still as lovely as it was. Nowadays the place is run by Valeria's son in law Riccardo. He is very helpful and friendly and gave us excellent restaurant recommendations. I stayed in the blue room, exactly the same as last time because the other rooms were fully booked. The whole place is very well looked after, doesn't look dated at all. This time around I took my mum with me and she loves the place as well and Florence in general. As I said previously, it's very conveniently located, there is a bus from SMN station that stopped right in front of the building. Valeria even came out to make me a cup of coffee and she is still as lovely as ever. There is really not much else I could say except that I really love this place I will be coming back hopefully soon!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2013

From the moment we arrived at Casa dei Tintori, our host, Ricardo, went out of his way to welcome us, including carrying our very heavy bags up the stairway to our room. The yellow room was just as beautiful and comfortable as described on the website, as was the stunning interior of the rest restored dyers house. Ricardo helped us plan our destinations to afford a good overview of the city and its history during our brief 2-night stay. He also gave us suggestions for good local restaurants. It was so nice to come home to a quiet retreat at the end of long days of walking. On our departure day, Ricardo even arose earlier to accomodate our schedule and provide us with another delicious breakfast, hot coffee and a sincere farewell. We would recommend this B&B with no reservations. It is an incredible find, made even better, because of the fantastic hosts!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barb R
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Whenever I am looking at room pictures on an establishments website, I'm never sure it they truly portray the rooms. We had no surprises when we checked into the Azzurra room - it was exactly as it appeared on the website. We were surprised at the amount of storage space: a large wardrobe, space under the TV shelf, and built-in shelves in the exposed brick wall of the room. Two of us were able to store are suitcases and backpacks out of the way.

I found the beds to be very comfortable and the bed linens nice. As is the case with most Italian accommodations, washclothes are not provided, but nice sized bath towels and hand towels were. The soap and shampoo provided was in very small quantities, but we were traveling with our own products.

As others have mentioned, natural light is at a premium due to the design, so both the rooms and the small public area feels dark. Also, as other have mentioned the Rosa and Azzurra rooms face a narrow street with a bar across from the B&B so noise is a problem - especially on Saturday night and Sunday morning. We could also hear conversations taking place in the Rosa room which shared a common wall with our room.

The location of La Casa dei Tintori is less than a 10 minute walk to the Uffizi, 5 minutes to Santa Croce, and 20 minutes to the Accademia. There are also plenty of eating establishments within 5 minutes of the B&B.

Although the establishment presents itself as a B&B, it does not have a B&B feel. It seems more like a small hotel or pensione.

We had no complaints about breakfast, which is served at 8:00 AM by Riccardo (Lavinia is in her last few weeks of her pregnancy). We were presented with baked goods, cereals, juice, coffee, yogurt, and toast, all well-presented on a rolling cart. Strangely, we never encountered our fellow guests at breakfast and ate alone each day.

Riccardo and his girlfriend Lavinia were very welcoming and friendly. As soon as we rang the buzzer on our arrival, Riccardo was running down the stairs, grabbing our bags and carrying them up the flight of steps to the B&B. When I was unable to secure advance reservations to the Uffizi and Accademia using the web, Riccardo had tickets ready and waiting for us when we arrived at the exact times we wanted. Riccardo provided us with suggestions for lunch, dinner and gelato. Both Riccardo and Lavinia made dinner reservations for us on various evenings - Lavinia even offered suggestions on what we might order for a true local meal. The last night of our stay, Lavinia presented us with our itemized bill, which we paid in cash as was requested. She also arranged for a taxi to pick us up at 5:00 AM for an early morning flight.

We enjoyed our stay, however if we were to return to Florence, we would choose accommodations further from the "action".

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This place is a great choice, and then the reasonable price makes it a great deal too, especially for the single traveler. Our group booked all five rooms, and if you have the right number of travelers to do this, you ought to. Having a private home base to start and end every day is a great benefit when traveling with a group.

All the rooms are generously sized and very comfortable, with individual climate control so you can keep yourself comfortable year-round. Breakfast is served at tables along the corridor alongside most of the rooms. There was a good selection to choose from, but I like my protein and asked if some cheese could be added, and like magic, cheese appeared.

Most important was the hosts. Riccardo very much wanted to make sure that we were happy and had all the information we needed. It had a very homey feel.

Tip: go to All'Antico Vinaio for a panino sandwich, then cross the street for gelato at Gelateria dei Neri. It's all just 2-3 blocks away and really among the best we had for panino and gelato.

Note that two of the rooms face the street (the red room and the room next to it) and there are some bars on the block. You might want earplugs, or else one of the other rooms, unless you sleep easily.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This was such a perfect find. I mean, the location alone is full of win; and it being in a medieval building *with the stonework intact* was pure gold for history nerds like me; but what really made Casa dei Tintori shine was how welcoming and warm and accommodating our hosts were. They took such good care of us! Breakfast was abundant and delicious, the coffee was perfect, good touristing advice was liberally given. I was also secretly grateful that I did not have to fall back on my feeble single semester of Italian 101 to communicate (though somewhat ashamed that I didn't take the opportunity to try).

I stayed in the "Verde" room with my best friend and her mother, and it was quite comfortable and spacious for us, all our clothes, and all the things we bought--which is no small amount of stuff, let me tell you.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 9, 2013

On our arrival on Monday morning Alfredo was there to meet us to take over our luggage so that we could go for a stroll and have some lunch while our room was being prepared. From then on Ricardo and Lavinia were on hand and looked after us impeccably right up to our departure on Friday afternoon. Nothing was too much trouble for them and all advice and suggestions were spot on, especially the restaurant some 20 metres away where we ate on 3 out of our 4 nights. Our room,the Indigo room, was spotlessly clean, quiet and comfortable. Breakfast was delicious with fresh croissants and pastries arriving each morning. The B&B is ideally situated and we walked everywhere apart from taking transport to the station when we left. I could not recommend this amazing 13th century house more strongly on all accounts. Janet and Michael.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple