“one captain taking orders from 21 tables”

Restaurant Il Falconiere
Reserve with
Restaurant Il Falconiere is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 104 Restaurants in Cortona
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: It is actually very easy to cook well and obtain great dishes if one begins with first choice ingredients, that's what we do every day, searching for the best products is our philosophy. We are mentioned by the most authoritative Guides with excellent evaluations.The restaurant is housed in the old lemon house with a glass and wrought-iron conservatory, overlooking the outside dining terrace with its ancient fishpond and rose-clad pergola. It is famous for its cuisine focused in the territory. A pleasant experience made of many different details: a refined and bright ambience, the terrace with its breathtaking view of the valley for romantic dinners, a superb Tuscan cuisine and a vast wine list with the Baracchi wines as well.
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Food, some dishes very good some very bad. No way this restaurant derserves a michelin star. I have just come from Paris I know what restaurant deserves a star. Not even close.

1  Thank golfbob
Silvia B, Proprietario at Restaurant Il Falconiere, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Dear Golfbob,
thank yuo for your review. Our Michelin starred restaurant has a very good service, we want every client has the best attention, for this reason only the Maitre can take the orders, organizes the arrival and time to seat for each clients in order to have the possibility to dedicate most time of possible to everybody. We don’t have 21 tables in the restaurant but just 16. Our terrace with its breathtaking view is the best place to enjoy summer evenings. We don’t have a fast food service because clients usually love to spend their time seating and relaxing, they love taste their wine in peaceful atmosphere. Calm, charm, cuisine, courtesy and character are our slogan! I’m sorry if your personal desires and taste are so far from our style. I hope to have the possibility to change your opinion next time!
Silvia Baracchi

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Looked forward to eating at this restaurant on a recent stay in Cortona. From beginning to end the service was top of the line except for our wine glasses being empty too long and having to summon a waiter for that which was a little uncomfortable. I must say though that I did expect a little more in the way of gustatory delight but was disappointed. The food was very good but very uninspired. This place can do better and needs to step up its game. The place was very beautiful and it was a lovely evening. Very friendly and not at all pretentious.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

My partner and I and two other couples went to Il Falconiere for dinner to cap off our stay in Cortona, and while the location is absolutely superb, the food disappoints. I say that not because the food is “bad”…but considering the prices (around 30+ euros a dish) and its status as a Michelin one-star, the food did not inspire or impress me like other Michelin restaurants have done in the past.

We started with a drink on the terrace as the sun was setting, which was very nice. The Bellini I had was not very high caliber to my taste buds, but the other people in my group liked their drinks. We were escorted to our table outside for seating, and the restaurant was practically empty. The location and view is honestly amazing! We were seated at dusk, and we could see as far as Montepulciano to the west. Il Falconiere is not as high as Cortona, but the seating area is still high enough to feel like you have an amazing view.

The service was, if I had to use one word, haphazard. Sometimes it was good, sometimes it was lacking. The main maitre d’ (a very tall guy) was running around furiously all the time. OK, but there were only 4 tables seated, what was he doing, because he clearly wasn’t paying attention to our table? When I had questions about the view or the food or a dish, it was very hard to get his attention. At a one-star (which this restaurant HEAVILY advertizes online, so I will happily judge it by that sriteria), that should not be the case, plain and simple. When one of us would get up to go to the bathroom, servers would just walk right past and not fold napkins. Once, one of the waiters picked up the napkin from the chair between his two fingers and then put it crumpled back on the table and walked away. What is that? And the wait staff seemingly did not know how to pour water without spilling or clanking against everything on the table – that just showed a lack of training and finesse. And when I asked one of the servers how to eat the amuse bouche orzo dish (since three of us instinctively ate it with our forks, and the other three with our spoons), he seemed confused and muttered something because I don’t think he understood the question. That’s fine, I don’t expect someone to speak English automatically…but then call over our main server who did.

The food was “fine.” It was very expensive, but I am not necessarily griping about that because I knew exactly what I was getting myself into. The tasting menu I had consisted of 5 dishes and was 90 euros, which is not outrageous in this type of establishment. However, Il Falconiere did not deliver on its assumed promise to serve me excellent cuisine. I took 3 pictures of the food, and of those three, two were good/average, and one was bad. The rabbit hamburger looked pretty, but it was probably one of the worst-conceived dishes I’ve ever had at a Michelin restaurant. There were just random (naturally bitter) truffles with raw red pepper and then sauces…huh? And the portion size of the rabbit (which was actually very good) was too small to justify the rest of the ingredients on the plate. Overall, the food was only average. I was expecting a lot better

Honestly, I don’t think I would recommend Il Falconiere. This is Italy, and great restaurants are everywhere, so I don’t think that their sky-high prices justify what they serve. The main selling point is the view, but other restaurants have that amazing view from Cortona as well!

And one final note, the bathrooms are very small, and all the girls at the table complained about that.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Wonderful setting, and dressier than many Tuscan estate restaurants. Correspondingly expensive as well. This place is overrun with English-speaking guests, some of whom have had too much wine and are obnoxiously loud. The owners spend much of their time mingling with regulars and subtly giving a cold shoulder to strangers who happen upon their establishment. The sommelier was clearly unimpressed with our selection of a merlot from Cortona (where the restaurant is located) and underscored his disdain with drab service throughout the meal. Actually the wine was quite good! Worst offense though was the food -- completely unmemorable in this region of great cuisine. Pasta was okay at best, but my duck breast was cooked gray beyond recognition with worrying green tinges at the edges, and was sprinkled with dessicated cabbage of some sort. Absolutely unacceptable. Locals appear to stay away like the plague, and with good reason.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

We arranged to have dinner on the outdoor terrace for July 4th. The view from the terrace is amazing, and the owners were very attentive. We were not impressed with the sommelier because he was not attentive, and it wasn't very busy that evening, but the rest of the staff was wonderful. We had a lovely waitress named Venus. The food is very good, but it's pricey.

1  Thank SuzPhilly