“Good little B&B - perfect if you like to be left alone”

Le Gelosie Bed and Breakfast and Apartments
Ranked #26 of 42 Cortona B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Good little B&B - perfect if you like to be left alone”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2009

I stayed in Le Gelosie B&B from Monday 31st August to Sunday 6th September 2009. I enjoyed my stay and found that the B&B really suited me. I do a lot of solo travel and like to be left to my own devices and do my own thing. This B&B was perfect for this. Other than check in, check out and getting breakfast vouchers, there was no other interaction with the staff.

It is a small B&B, 4 rooms I think, one per floor. The room has a decent size bedroom, a great, super king size bed (very comfortable), satellite TV (Sky Italia, good selection of english language channels and movie channels), decent dresser and wardrobe space and a decent sized bathroom with an unbelievably powerful shower.

The reception area is mostly unmanned, except for a few hours each morning and guests are given their own front door key (on the same keyring as the room key). The front door is locked when the reception is unmanned. The road that the B&B is on is reasonably busy with traffic (both human and vehicles) but this noise can be shut out by closing the windows. There are a lot of nice restaurants on the same street so there is plenty of choice for dining.

Like all streets in Cortona, Via Dardano is hilly and is an uphill walk from Piazza De La Republica. I got used to this after one day. There are no lifts in the B&B so at the end of your hill walk, you get a nice stair climb. Good for working off the pasta and alcohol! I was staying on the first floor so only had two short flights of stairs.

I didn't meet the owner (Andre) at all but spoke to him on the phone once and he was helpful. Most of my dealings were with Fabiana, an extremely pleasant and helpful Brazilian girl who spoke good Italian but no English. Despite this, I found that we were still able to communicate and she went out of her way to help.

There is no mini bar or any kind of food and drink available in the B&B. You are given a voucher for breakfast in the Nessun Dorma cafe nearby and this was a very nice experience, particularly when sitting in the outside area, watching people pass by and listening to the singers rehearse in the Teatro Signorelli.

In summary, if you are an independent traveller looking for a place to call your own in Cortona for the duration of your stay, then this is the place for you. If you are looking to be waited on, have a 24 hour reception, mini bar, restaurant etc and to have everything done for you, this place will not suit you.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank RobYounger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Copenhagen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2009

this B&B was simply perfect ! We stayed for 1 night , in a very nice room ,clean and very comfortable bed - and the bathroom was also very nice and equipped with the most trendy gear.And the TV had about 500 channels by SKY !
It is also easy to reach by car - and there is a parkingarea near by .
We have stayed in Cortona several times before - and this must be the best B&B in this city ! I will recomend it for any one travelling to Cortona.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2008

We spent two nights here in Cortona and would happily recommned Le Gelosie to anyone. We surprised Andrea by arriving a day ahead of schedule (our mistake, not his) and he couldn't have been more accomodating. Luckily, he had rooms available and while we slipped away to have lunch, he made hasty arrangments to have the rooms cleaned, beds made, etc. The B&B is comfrotable and well located -- in Via Dardano just above two of the town's principal squares. Andrea's dinner recommendations were spot on and had we stayed longer, I'm sure he would have been very helpful planning day trips in the surrounding area. He clearly loves what he does and his hospitality was warm and sincere. Hard to imagine a more inviting or comfortable stay elsewhere.

• Liked — character and cleanliness of the rooms
  • Disliked — the stairs
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2008

Interested to read some of the earlier reviews; I have to say I can't relate to the negative ones.

We found the owner to be very welcoming and helpful in pointing out various things to see in Cortona (make sure you walk up to Basilica S Margherita at the top of town going up past Severini's mosaic Stations of the Cross and then back down the winding streets to the centre of town).

We were staying in the room at the top of Le Gelosie. It had low ceilings due to original beams and was very individual in its layout as a result of the sloping roof. We loved that unique quality.

We found our bathroom to be well appointed with a very good large-headed shower. Admittedly the bathroom was quite small, but then I wouldn't have expected less of a room built into the ceiling space.

Our room was comfortable and when there was noise in the street outside (this is right in the middle of town let's not forget) we were able to shut the double-glazed windows which cut out all noise. Not that we really needed it but the room was air-conditioned.

The one down-side of this room is that there are 4 flights of stairs. This was fine for us but I imagine would be a problem for people less mobile.

Breakfast was served in a nearby cafe which served excellent pastries and coffee and we loved having breakfast on the terrace outside the cafe writing postcards and watching the world go by.

• Liked — The individuality of the room
  • Disliked — Not alot really
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2008

My 10 year old son and I stayed at Le Gelosie B&B in early July. I decided to stay there after reading such fantastic reviews on Tripadvisor.

Le Gelosie is a delightful place to stay. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The bathrooms are a good size compared to some hotels we stayed in where the showers were tiny.

Breakfast is included and can be had at a lovely little cafe a few steps away from the B&B. Le Gelosie is in a great location and only a short bus ride from the nearest train station.

Andrea, the owner, was very helpful prior to and during our stay in Cortona. If you are after a great tour of Cortona or nearby areas Andrea can organise this for you as well.

Andrea also recommended good places to eat.

We paid 85 euro for the 2 of us per night which I thought was very cheap for such lovely accommodation. The price could be different depending on what time of year you stay.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Le Gelosie B&B as a great, clean, well-priced place to stay.

Their website is www.legelosie.com

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Aussiegirl68
Portland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2008

This place had tiny, shabby rooms with no charm. The bathroom was clean, but the walls and floors were dirty. There was considerable street noise, but the rooms smelled moldy so we really wanted to open our windows. This place "welcomes" the visitor with a terrible dark and rusty (literally!) lobby. The young man at the front desk was “sick” and not available most of the time,although he was very nice while he was there. He gave us a key to the front door so that we could let ourselves in and turn on the lights while he was gone!

He did drive our car for us (!) and drove us back to the parking lot. He scraped the side mirror on the city walls, but luckily we had purchased the insurance policy to cover that. My room had no TV (I didn’t care), and the whole place smelled of stale cigarettes and musty mold. It was damp in there. The breakfast consisted of having to go to a café nearby and get breakfast there…no food on site (a complete surprise since I assumed that a so-called Bed & Breakfast would actually serve some breakfast!). In the morning when we were supposed to go to breakfast, the guy wasn’t there, so we didn’t know where to go. We ended up going on our own (and paying for it). There’s NO WAY that place deserved three stars. The city was charming, though, and the people were friendly and lovely. We would love to go back to Cortona, but we would stay somewhere else.

• Liked — I liked that it was very near one of the central piazzas...conveniently located in town.
  • Disliked — Pretty much everything else...the worst accommodation of our trip.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2008

Totally FANTASTIC!! And we're picky! Great place! Super comfy, clean and super location! Very modern in the middle of medieval Cortona! Very nice and helpful staff but... if you need an elevator it won't work-- stairs only.

• Liked — Beautiful rooms and great location-- super comfy bed!!!!!
  • Disliked — Stairs only
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple