“Just like Nona makes it!”
Review of Trattoria Tacconi

Trattoria Tacconi
Ranked #46 of 104 Restaurants in Cortona
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 17, 2014

The small restaurant is still run by Angelo (in his 70s) with his wife. Five tables, only lunch, no menu (so nona cooks what's fresh and in season) and only Italian spoken here. Simply priceless.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

Have been coming here for a quite a few years now. Happily for us, Graziella, her family, and the place, hasn't changed.. We had the pasta Pici, (a fattish hand rolled spaghetti) with a good choice of sauces. Then we shared a Beefsteak and a large portion of the Tuscan speciality Fegato.... A jug of 'Benzina Rosso', (Angelo speak for the local red wine). With only 5 or 6 tables, a great atmosphere, (a bit of which is the meat cooking !) We will always come here when we visit Cortona,

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Pasta was superb as was the cafe' following lunch. Owner and his wife were also a lot of fun. We would definitely come back!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We ducked in here to get out of the rain...what a wonderful piece of luck! This is one of my favorite restaurant experiences I've had in decades of travel to Italy and eating in all sorts of restaurants. The owners are wonderful and their generosity and passion for their food and service is apparent.

The place is tiny and they did not have seating for us (5 of us), but all of a sudden tables appeared from inside and out and benches and chairs and linens (from across the street) and voila'. We were seated!

Angelo is unforgettable. His positive energia is contagious and he is a one-man front of the house, bartender, barista, wait person, bus person and entertainment!

Graziella is a delight. I asked Angelo if I could send my compliments to her and he stood me up and marched me right into the kitchen! Graziella was pleased that I enjoyed my meal and we communicated as 2 people that speak different languages do (through the smoke of the charcoal grill and the scent of grilled meat, tomatoes and garlic....delicioso!!!) She consented to my taking her picture and even feigned stirring a pot for me. It is one of my favorite travel photos. It always makes me remember that special experience.

The food was excellent. Angelo explained that they served only the freshest products that are from the immediate area. He told us that he brought in his food for the restaurant daily...sometimes he serves tomatoes from the day before.

When we ordered, one of the party asked if the beef was good. Angelo said, "No," with the desired effect. Everyone in the restaurant laughed and a gentleman eating the steak at the next table offered us a bite of his! Among us we sampled several pastas with varied sauces, grilled meats, and salads. Everything was lovingly prepared and tasty. Of course, we were brought complimentary limoncellos by Angelo after our meal.

This is a MUST if you are in Cortona. Be certain to check their hours, as most places close in the early afternoon and it would be a shame to miss such a quinessentially Italian, experience of hospitality.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Our group of 7 celebrated my husband's birthday here. Angelo's enthusiastic personality makes for happy diners, and the food is very good - homecooking on a wood-burning stove, not gourmet. Excellent house wine and the steak and veal were very tasty. The spinach side dish was the biggest hit though. Do make reservations as there are only 5 tables. The trattoria is up a hill off the main square, so tourists often bypass this little gem.