“Sad to say....not up to snuff!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Relais Il Falconiere & Spa

Relais Il Falconiere & Spa
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Cortona
Kansas City, Missouri
“Sad to say....not up to snuff!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Over the years, I have had the pleasure of staying at various Relais & Chateau member properties. I must say my experience at the il Faconiere was disappointing at best. The grounds are wonderful and the property is quite historic but there were so many deficiencies for a fine hotel property that the list of issues is endless. I would encourage the owners to pay simple attention to the details that makes one a "fine property and worth the price one pays". That unfortunately is not the case with what we experienced. Like another reviewer stated, how in the world did this property qualify for the R & C distinction?

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Il_Falconiere, Proprietario at Relais Il Falconiere & Spa, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear sir
Thank you for your opinion about my property, I like take in consideration every review that can help to improve our service. This is not the case, I don’t understand what you liked or if you have had some matter and what. We are used to offer to the guests our efforts to make their vacation memorable ( I mean in positive way!). I recommend to the ladies at reception and to the staff to dedicate time to every guest to understand more about their whishes and try to make them happy! Unfortunately sometime clients are not very communicative and this make our job very hard.
I hope to have the possibility to welcome your again at Il Falconiere, personally, during your next trip in Italy and make your vacation special and memorable.
Silvia Baracchi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Orange County, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Let me warn you, this will be long, but if you are considering Il Falconiere, and in particular one of the cooking programs, please read on.

First and foremost, if you are looking for a shiny new place to stay which is perfectly updated, Il Falconiere is not the place for you. It is what used to be a family home that dates back to the 17th century. Yes, that means that it is older and that it has slightly older fixtures, etc., but I personally don’t agree with the prior negative reviews. Our bed and bathroom were very nice. We were able to cool our room just fine; the shower was not an issue nor was the bed. Again, the rooms are not modern but have a charm that we loved.

We booked the 5-day cooking package staying in a Junior Suite and our stay was one of if not the highlight of our trip. Just about everyone we spoke with did a cooking class somewhere in Tuscany, but I wanted more than just 1 class. Our program included three 3-4 hour hands-on classes all taught by Richard Titi (more on him later); the first class was with a bigger group of 9 people but our second two classes were just my husband, Chef Titi and me which were really cool. It also included pretty much all meals (you cooked a 4-course meal in each session and then ate the meal at either lunch or dinner), 3 different private tours with guides (1 of Cortona and surroundings, 1 day trip to Montepulciano and Siena and other stops, and one to the local market with chef Richard Titi to purchase ingredients); the tours also included meals arranged in advance by Il Falconiere. Our package also included a wine spa treatment (see below), a vineyard tour (which we ended up missing by our own mistake). In short, it was pretty much all inclusive.

I chose Il Falconiere because of their flexibility. So long as there were two of us (my husband was a trooper and joined in the cooking) we could do the classes pretty much whenever we wanted. We were also asked if there was anything in particular we wanted to cook but their menus were so diverse that we had no changes. In short, Chef Titi was awesome. He was extremely knowledgeable, clearly loves what he does (and is amazing at it) while also being a really nice, down to earth guy. We thoroughly enjoyed all of our classes as well as the market trip with him. Plus, most importantly, the food we prepared with him was amazing. If you want to cook in Tuscany, I cannot recommend Il Falconiere enough.

Silvia and Ricardo Baracchi, the owners, were both also extremely nice. They joined us for cocktails our first night, which was a very nice, personal touch. Silvia made a point of checking in with us every time she saw us; we also had a farewell drink with her and Richard Titi on our final night. Quite honestly, everyone went out of their way to make sure our stay was enjoyable. Want to reschedule your welcome dinner to the last night? No problem. Need a ride into (and later back from) Cortona? No problem. They were incredibly accommodating and we really did feel more like a friend/family guest than simply people paying to stay.

Our room was between the spa and the pool and was very quiet and private. It had a huge lawn in front (plus 2 chaise lounges shaded by fruit trees) which was basically all ours; it was bigger than our yard at home. The Junior Suite consisted of a good sized bedroom, a living/sitting area with a couch, desk, armoire, etc., and a bathroom. We felt like we were in our own private little cottage.

The property itself was amazing with spectacular views out over the hills and Cortona. There are actually two pools on the property, one by the main area and another up the hill past the vineyards where there are additional rooms. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. (One recommendation: bring mosquito repellant. The property is in the country and you will get bitten.)

Daily spa use is included, specifically steam room, Jacuzzi and a very nice lounge area with beautiful views. Our package also included “Wine Therapy” which was a Jacuzzi bath for two in a huge copper tub with a large bottle of red wine added to the water. To be blunt, it was awesome, if not completely decadent to be sitting in a wine Jacuzzi while drinking champagne. After, we relaxed in the lounge enjoying the view. A perfect relaxing afternoon. They have other treatments as well, but we didn't have time to try them.

Breakfast was good: the usual breads, cheeses, meats, eggs. We enjoyed all of our meals, both the ones we cooked and the tasting menu we tried on our last night. I do not understand the negative comments about the food, either at breakfast or dinner.

I will be honest, I was a little nervous before our stay as there are obviously mixed reviews of the property and I had no idea what I had singed us up for. But our stay was amazing and we highly recommend the resort, the restaurant and the cooking program.

If you have any questions at all, please message me. I am happy to answer any questions.

1 Thank SarahInSoCal
Il_Falconiere, Owner at Relais Il Falconiere & Spa, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear SarahInSoCal
Thank you for your superb review, I see that you are used to travel and write review, for that I like it a lot!!!
You noted many details and that make my work very pleasant.
Thank you and I hope to welcome you again soon
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

We found the estate to be lovely. Our room was in the "newer" section, a bit off from reception and the main restaurant, but it had it's own breakfast area and outdoor (unheated) pool. It was quiet, spacious and had exceptional views. Turndown service left fresh towels as well. The breakfast consisted of yogurt and cereal choices, fresh fruit and pastries, fresh pies and cake as well as a variety of cheeses and hams, coffee to-order and fresh squeezed orange juice. The staff were always courteous and friendly, though it did take 30 minutes once for them to bring a bucket of ice. We made use of the on-site spa (complimentary daily access) and enjoyed it, though we wished the pool was warmer! We enjoyed the tasting menu and restaurant immensely, dessert being the highlight. We would recommend a stay here if on the "3 nights for the price of 2" special rate.

1 Thank DMD06
Dear DMD06
Thank you for your nice review, I like a lot your descriptions about the hotel, it makes me fell better. I always try to make happy my clients and when I realize that it happened I’m very satisfied.
I hope to welcome you again and have the possibility to share my world with you!
A presto
ca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Could it be that Relais and Chateux now has a curve basis in a desperate attempt to add a relais in Tuscany. I have been to dozens of relais and this isn't close to measuring up to their standards. Most of the complaints on this site seem to be the same so pardon the redundancy. The air condition in the rooms do not cool the room, its hot. The mattresses are 30 years old and hard as a rock. My wife woke up in pain every morning. The showers good luck trying to figure out how to work it. No gym. The coffee pot filled with dust like its been sitting unsused for a year. What relais would pass this. Very bad service in bar. Breakfeast buffet the worst ever anywhere. Now on to the restaurant same issue as I am told they have a michelin star. For sure 100% this restaurant is no more deserving of a michelin start then McDonald's. The food, some dishes good some just plain bad. The service terrible you will strain your neck looking for the one captain who takes orders on 21 tables all by himself. I on both nights went and got him and made him come to my table and take my order. Once nice thing to say. It's a beautiful property in a beautiful Tuscan setting but after coming from the 4 seasons in budepest and the four seasons in Prague we know what perfect is. Relais in my opinion should be one better then a four seasons. Neither the hotel or the restaurant are close to dererving a michelin star or a relais and chateux membership

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
1 Thank golfbob
Il_Falconiere, Proprietario at Relais Il Falconiere & Spa, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
From Silvia Baracchi Chef and owner
Dear Golfbob,
thank you to spend your time to write a review about your vacation. For us your opinion is very important to make our Relais and service better and better. I see you made a reservation on September and our air conditioning was in perfect working all the summer and especially in September with a chilly temperature it worked perfectly ! Maybe was your sensation.
About the restaurant , we have this organization from many years, Luigi our Maître can organize the service and take the orders scheduling at the best the arrival of our clients to avoid stoppages in the kitchen. At the end we don’t have 21 tables at the restaurant , we have just 16 and spread in different dining rooms, so I think was not easy for you check our service, especially in the second floor. Our Michelin starred restaurant is not a fast food and we like to dedicate the best attention to every client. I don’t want a simple Chef de Rang takes orders but can do this just the Maitre or myself.
I opened at the first the restaurant on 1989, the hotel 4 years later , at the end we cannot have mattresses 30 years old , we changed all the beds 4 years ago and yes, they are not soft because they are orthopedic the best chice for the health of the body ( back and shoulders ) maybe you are not used to this kind of healthy attentions. We are always able to change our mattresses and pillows on request.
You are right we are nor a Four Season hotel , but we are very proud to be part of Relais & Chateaux , most of them are family hotels which excel in the art of hospitality with their personal touch and attention of every detail. I’m sorry to be far from your aspetations, but of course every clients is different and we love all of them a lot!
Hoping to be able to change your opinion on your next trip in Tuscany .
Greetings
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

As we planned our travels through Italy, we most looked forward to our stay at Il Falconiere. It not only met but exceeded all expectations. The setting of the hotel is breathtaking. Taking a walk though the grands is so enjoyable. Our Junior Suite was unique, highly spacious and very romantic. The hotel restaurant is exceptional. We had a meal there on our first night and it is something we will remember for years to come. The setting is the most romantic. Aside from the taste and quality of the food, the staff operated like a well oiled machine. The sommelier is outstanding. The chef sent a complimentary tasting plate of desserts to our table, the perfect end to a perfect dinner. We also took a cooking class with the resident chef Richard Titi. He is a very talented, yet most humble man, and we learned a great deal, but most of all enjoyed the experience. The facilities at the hotel are great, and all of the staff very friendly. By far the most enjoyable stay we have had throughout our travels in Italy. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Room Tip: The junior suites are impressive.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Il_Falconiere, Proprietario at Relais Il Falconiere & Spa, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Dear Joy,
thank you for your review it is very beautiful, you touch different aspects of Il Falconiere. I and Richard will be always happy to have guests like you inside our kitchen to work together hands-on!! Each clients is important for us and we can learn a lot from them too!
Thank you again for the time you dedicate to us, I and Richard are always ready with new recipes and we are looking forward to welcome you again.
Silvia Baracchi Chef & Owner
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in late August in a Suite the room was adequate however the room safe didn't work as well as the exhaust fan in the bathroom considering what we paid it was not up to normal standards

We ate at the restaurant twice the food was ok but not michelin star. The staff were friendly and helpful overall a comfortable stay but definitely not 5 star

1 Thank RobertMPerth
Dear Robert,
Thank you for your review, every comment helps us a lot to make better our job! I’m sorry for the misunderstanding, Relais Il Falconiere is a 4 stars hotel not 5 stars!!! Of course we have location and service good enough to be a 5 stars hotel. Italy is beautiful and full of taste, colors and sun, but for this, Italian companies in August are closed. Everybody is in holiday for about 4 weeks! For us it not easy to find or substitute something on that period! At the end, last August we were almost lucky because we have had just the problem with your safe and fan, of course immediately resolved as the couriers started to work.
Our restaurant is very beautiful, in summertime we serve dinner and lunch in our spectacular terrace with its incredible view. I don’t know what are your aspectations for you a Michelin starred restaurant, for me is a beautiful restaurant with beautiful tables with fine table clothes, and harmonious mise en place; very pleasant and clever service; a great wine list and this is my restaurant. About my menu, it has a large choices: two tasting menu, appetizers, pasta, fish and meat and desserts, every dish is cooked at the moment with fresh and seasonal ingredients. We serve a delicious aperitif, and with the coffee a very special tray with many small bites of fruit and cakes. I know perfectly that every guest has different taste and I’m sorry if yours are far from our cuisine. I would like to make satisfied everybody but it is a “mission impossible” sometime!
I hope to welcome you again, maybe in a different period, and try to change your opinion!!!
Silvia Baracchi Chef/Owner
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed in this area of Tuscany for two weeks during August and were hoping a dining experience at the Falconiere would be the gastronomic highlight of our trip. Apart from the food which is definitely not Michelin star standard, we did not receive the level of service you would expect from a restaurant with this reputation. Our fish starters was border line high. The white wine was warm for tasting. We never saw it again until the main course arrived when my husband asked for the ice bucket to be relocated to our table so we could serve our own wine which we did throughout the meal. Our over cooked lamb main course was served with blunt knives with a dollop of watery spinach on the side and a few scattered mushrooms. The focaccia bread was stale, two of the pre desserts were frozen. The toilets were filthy. The terrace dining furniture is wrought iron with no seat cushions. Now, I admit as a family we are all above average height but this seating was back breaking for us all, my husband had to sit with his legs out to the side the whole meal. We all could not wait to leave, which we did without any acknowledgement from the staff, for both service and food this is the worst Michelin star we have ever been to. The only upside is the view!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank kizzy19
From Silvia Baracchi Chef and Owner
Dear Kizzy19,
thank you for the time you dedicate to write a review about Il Falconire, seems you are talking about an other place! Yes we have iron furniture in the terrace but we have nice cushions cream and green color , very comfortable everyday!!!
Waiters and our sommelier Gianni are always very kind and professional, the wine is always at the perfect temperature, we have a beautiful cellar where we can collect red wine and special refrigerators for the white wine.
Toilets are the mirror of every restaurant, and ours are perfectly cleaned and more we pay attention to the hygiene of them.
About the meal we love to cook fresh seasonal ingredients, at the end is very easy realize excellent dishes with fresh fish, free range meat, local organic vegetables and more , I’m sorry your personal taste is so far from our style!
Maybe it was a wrong day for you and I’m sorry for your negative experience , I hope to have a second chance to confirm my statement and quality.
Greetings