“A chance to hand roll spaghetti and dine!”

Ristorante Ambrosia
Ranked #16 of 100 Restaurants in Cortona
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: In mythology, ambrosia is the food or the drink of the gods.From this I was inspired to give the name to my restaurant.I want my customers when eat the food cooked by me in a place with unique atmosphere and accompanied by the sound of running water behind them, with the Etruscan well, they feel special, like gods.To achieve this ambitious goal requires care and attention to every details, not only in the kitchen, trying to honor our tradition and at the same time knowing how to be innovative.Tradition and innovation are the basis for the construction of my restaurant since the renovation of an ancient property with its history and its remarkable passages then would become Restaurant Ambrosia.We've uncovered many elements hidden by time (the arches, the inner well and the beautiful stone wall with a fall of rain-fed), but at the same time we used the best materials and modern components to ensure high level services.Combination of tradition and innovation has also guided the choice of menu. This is divided into two parts, one with typical preparation, related to the area where I was born and raised, and one with with a cooking full of imagination, innovation and provocation.I think it's duty of every chef know how to prepare dishes that are part of the context in which they were born and raised, but at the same time to test changes on these bases."A classic dish with a little touch of fantasy becomes a dish unique that only you can find in THAT restaurant, cooked in THAT way, according to the fancy of THAT Chef."
Canmore, Alberta, Canada
“A chance to hand roll spaghetti and dine!”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

If you love great food and the smoothest of red wines (the house wine is particularly great and inexpensive), with a friendly and knowledgeable chef, this is the place to be. My husband and I spent four hours preparing a 4 course authentic Italian meal...expertly cooked by our amazing chef and served at our table. We began with panzenella - a great bread salad...followed by hand rolled spaghetti with a white ragu sauce... then deboned a chicken leg and thigh, stuffed it with veal and pork, herbs...then made fresh fruit and fig tartlets for dessert. We had such fun...just a great way to spend the afternoon and then enjoy a very leisurely dinner... and Cortona is a great place to visit...Thank you chef!!!!

3 Thank Mabes1975

“Cookery class”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Fantastic, best day of our holiday in cortona. Course was well organised and covered a range of dishes which we ate later with our fellow chefs in the making. Matteo a very good teacher and wonderful host. We will be back next year. Carolyn Lock and Richard Trainer 3rd 0ctober 2012

2 Thank Carolyn L
roseneath, ontario
“Best Cooking School in Italy!!!”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I have always wanted to attend a cooking school in Italy. At the last minute I contacted Claudia who is with Time Around Tuscany (www.timearoundtuscany.com) and she arranged for a private class with Maeto the owner of Ambrosia Restaurant in Cortona. He is such an acclaimed chef and it was such a priveledge to be in his kitchen for 4 hours learning to make traditional Tuscan food. Homemade Pici, Chicken stuffed with meat, Ragu sauce, Panzello, and desert. His teaching of the techniques was so valuable. After I was able to sit down and enjoy the meal that was prepared. So if you like to cook this is the Best Experience Ever. If you like to Eat, go visit Ambrosia Restaurant in Cortona!!!

3 Thank janethull
East Princeton, Massachusetts
“Our favorite restaurant meal while in Tuscany”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We spent a week in Tuscany, and Ristorante Ambrosia proved to be our favorite restaurant we went to - both in terms of the food as well as the family that owns the establishment. We were greeted warmly and treated specially throughout the dinner. My wife had a spinach flan for an antipasto, which she absolutely loved. I had a local meat cuts dish for my starter, which was good, though definitely too much for one person. (My only minor complaint is that it was just meat and would have preferred a little more variety with cheeses, etc..) For first course, I had a potato gnocchi, which was amazing and I would highly recommend. For second course, I had the suckling pig, which was crispy outside and very tender and moist on the inside. Yummy! We split a pear cake for dessert, which was good. Overall, we just had an amazing time and can't wait to go back again sometime!

1 Thank richwagner
Oshawa, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best find of our trip.”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We came across this restaurant by chance and liked the appearance and menu. In we went for lunch and were totally impressed by the service and food. In fact, it was the best meal we have had in our 10 days in Italy. The quality and presentation of each dish was exceptional...a credit to the young chef and our server added to our enjoyment. The pastas are fresh and hand made in the kitchen. The secondis included vegetables and prices are quite reasonable. The wine list was decent but the house wine would be hard to beat, especially with the price. We will be back in the next few days before our holiday ends.

1 Thank ldf2010