“Brilliant”

Ranked #16 of 103 Restaurants in Cortona
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: In mythology, ambrosia is the food or the drink of the gods.From this I was inspired to give the name to my restaurant.I want my customers when eat the food cooked by me in a place with unique atmosphere and accompanied by the sound of running water behind them, with the Etruscan well, they feel special, like gods.To achieve this ambitious goal requires care and attention to every details, not only in the kitchen, trying to honor our tradition and at the same time knowing how to be innovative.Tradition and innovation are the basis for the construction of my restaurant since the renovation of an ancient property with its history and its remarkable passages then would become Restaurant Ambrosia.We've uncovered many elements hidden by time (the arches, the inner well and the beautiful stone wall with a fall of rain-fed), but at the same time we used the best materials and modern components to ensure high level services.Combination of tradition and innovation has also guided the choice of menu. This is divided into two parts, one with typical preparation, related to the area where I was born and raised, and one with with a cooking full of imagination, innovation and provocation.I think it's duty of every chef know how to prepare dishes that are part of the context in which they were born and raised, but at the same time to test changes on these bases."A classic dish with a little touch of fantasy becomes a dish unique that only you can find in THAT restaurant, cooked in THAT way, according to the fancy of THAT Chef."
USA
“Brilliant”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

By chance a year ago I discovered Restaurant Ambrosia while traveling in Tuscany. It had been open for only one month. When I attempted to write a review on TripAdvisor, Restaurant Ambrosia was not listed! I was advised by TA that they would investigate the restaurant and get back to me about writing a review. Weeks later I was very pleased to read that TA approved listing Restaurant Ambrosia and that many other TA members had also “discovered” and enjoyed Restaurant Ambrosia. Now one year later I returned to enjoy yet another brilliant meal prepared by the very talented owner /chef. The service, atmosphere and Chef Matteo’s culinary brilliance was once again enjoyed by both my wife and I. Our four course dinner was once again the number one dining experience during our ten day trip to Tuscany. Bravo and thank you to chef Matteo!

• Visited September 2012

Girona
“a small restaurant with a cozy, quiet feel”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

we happened upon this restaurant while walking around the city. the menu was small, but with enough variety that it sufficed. I got the tuna steak which was perfectly cooked, and my husband got the tenderloin, also very well done. A few "gifts from the chef" made this restaurant a memorable experience. service was good, candle lit ambiance and all in all a nice evening.

• Visited September 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Refined, contemporary Italian dining”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Our meal at ristorante Ambrosia was one of the best we had in Italy. It is easy to miss from the street, but once you enter, you are in a beautiful, air-conditioned space which exudes the feel of this ancient city. There it a large glass panel in the floor of the restaurant which covers a cantina with a flowing spring inside it! The architectural design of the place is amazing. And the food! The food was truly Italian, traditional flavors and ingredients, sometimes in novel combinations. Everything was extremely fresh, carefully and precisely prepared and presented. The waiter was extremely polite and attentive. This is modern Italian cuisine at its best.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank hotelscrutiniser
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Ristorante Ambrosia”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We came across this restaurant by chance while we were looking for some restaurants I had noted down to visit while in Cortona. What a find! It is beautifully clean and cool and we sat near the Etruscan remains which you can see through a section of glass floor. Our server treated us to a prosecco to start and then a complimentary starter which were both delicious. The meal was very reasonably priced too which was a bonus! We both thoroughly enjoyed our meal which was beautifully presented and very tasty. I wish we had found this place earlier on in the week because we would certainly have returned. We will definitely revisit Ambrosia on future visits to Cortona.

• Visited July 2012
Teddington
“This is great restaurant......”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Having eaten in and around Tuscany and Umbria over the years and this is a great find. Recomended by friends the food is both traditional and with a modern twist. The menu imaginative and what's more the execution brilliant. Service, ambience and dining room are top class, with sense that food is what really matters. I cannot wait until my next visit to see what Matteo is up to. He is truly a chef to watch........

1 Thank garyhad