Review Highlights

A popular sight

Reviewed September 26, 2018
Borzov
Rijeka, Croatia

All reviews frances mayes under the tuscan sun old man private home lovely walk hill town fell in love author film villa butterflies shrine vase trek stroll beauty tuscany
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

If you're a fan of 'the' book, or 'the' movie, or of Frances Mayes in general, then you might want to stroll along this back road to nowhere in order to get a dog's eye view of Bramasole. It's a beautiful villa with very well landscaped gardens.

We stayed in a nearby villa (literally right beneath Bramasole) for a week and drove by the many pilgrims on the road daily. That's fine—to each his own. But to make the trek to Cortona for this alone seems silly. Without the book and movie I doubt that many would find Cortona worthwhile. It certainly does not have the beauty of the region near San Gimignano, or along the Chiantigiana (SS222); it is a relatively small and uninteresting town where parking (outside the walls only) is a nightmare.

1  Thank TuscanWino
Reviewed September 30, 2018 via mobile

If you’re a fan of the book and the movie it’s worth a drive by. Easy to find (Waze) and fun to see the house (from the street) and see the little nook in the wall where the old man would always leave flowers.

Reviewed September 26, 2018

It would be a shame to visit Cortona without seeing the villa, originally built in 1504, with a recognizable red orange facade. Thanks to the American writer Frances Meyes and her famous novel (which later became equally popular film), the villa located on the road to Torreone, made Cortona famous all over the world and very popular tourist destination.

3  Thank Borzov
Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

I stayed in Cortona 2 days because of the movie. Cortona is a very nice hill town but you can actually see it in 1 day. I wanted to walk up to Branasole but when I saw that it was uphill I said forget it-let's drive! It was easy to find and the villa was very beautiful. There were white butterflies in the garden and it looked magical. It's worth a visit,

1  Thank Ana G
Reviewed August 18, 2018

I was in Cortona 8/6/18 for the day. Very charming town. I found a very lovely restaurant located on one of the many stair alleys. I found an art gallery and met the artist and bought a piece of original art. Then off to Bramasole. As i was about to embark on the hike towards the tennis courts (one on landmarks on the way to Bramasole), I spoke with a local woman to get more specific directions. She discouraged me from proceeding with the long walk in 37 degree heat and said there is nothing to get excited about the house really. So I aborted my hike and took shelter under the first shade I could find.

3  Thank Inka A
Reviewed August 12, 2018

The house of Francis Mayes ..author ...under the Tuscan sun..
Her Beautifully restored villa is gorgeous.

Reviewed August 12, 2018

After reading the book twice and seeing the movie at least 6 times it has always been on my 'to do' list to see Bramasole and Cortona. A beautiful day and stroll down the quiet lane lived up to all my expectations. I even picked a wild flower and placed it in the vase

3  Thank Denise M
Reviewed July 25, 2018

As we were in Cortona for the day like many who'd never heard of the place until the film we thought it a good idea to visit the House. After a charming and hot walk we arrived to what is undeniably a pretty house with a spectacular view. But for me that was the end of it. Not much of the property is viewable from the road and frankly it wasn't worth the effort.

2  Thank rickydodah
Reviewed July 22, 2018

We had to drive to Bramasole. In the past, the visitors used to cut through the fields to visit Bramasole but this is no longer possible. When we pulled in front of the house, I was surprised to see so many terraced gardens, it was so beautiful. There were even sunflowers in bloom in the back. What fun to see where the movie Under the Tuscan Sun was shot.

1  Thank Linda R
Reviewed July 2, 2018

Took the walk before it got too walk, but took the wrong / long walk, still lovely. Dropped in at the Torreome cafe on the way back - so all good

1  Thank Gorm L