“Stupendous Day of Cooking”

Tuscan Culinary One-Day Cooking Class
More attraction details
Owner description: Our One-Day Cooking Class is informal, fun and hands-on. The class taught in English and designed around a typical Tuscan meal with fresh local in season ingredients. You will start the full day course by meeting the instructor, Shirley Ofria at a café in the historic center of Cortona. Over a typical Tuscan breakfast of cappuccino and pastry, you will choose from our recipe booklet what you want to prepare. After breakfast and menu planning, you will go to the various markets to collect all the necessary ingredients.When you finish with the shopping, it’s off to our home in San Egidio, just ten minutes above the wall surrounding historic Cortona. When you arrive at the house, the aprons go on and the work begins. You will start by making appetizers that will later serve as a light lunch break. After lunch, it’s back to work to start on the first course, second course, side dishes and of course desert. When everything is ready you will sit down to enjoy and critique your creations. The meal can be served inside or out, weather permitting.The course includes; menu planning, shopping, breakfast, lunch, dinner (all food and wine) and the recipe booklet. Dietary restrictions are welcome and if there is something specific you want to do, please contact us several day in advance of your class day.
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My sister and I took a cooking class from Shirley. Words cannot describe the stellar day we had and what we learned. We started out at 9 am and met Shirley at cafe in Cortona. We went to several local shops in Cortona including a produce market, two butcher and several other stops. The real work begins when you get to Shirley's house about 10-15 minutes outside of Cortona. We cooked two meals: lunch and dinner. I could list everything we cooked, but it would take too long.

Not only were the meals wonderful, Shirley was very informative as we were cooking. My sister and I commented to each other how much we learned as we were cooking. We did not leave until about 8 pm. It was more than I ever thought it would be and then some. If you want to take a cooking class, do hands on work, and learn a lot as you were doing it, Shirley is the lady to see.

2  Thank guennie60
in 3 reviews
"local shops"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed July 3, 2013

This was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. We were able to experience shopping in the Cortona market, and Shirley really took time to get to understand what we wanted to cook for the day. She was definitely sensitive to dietary restrictions (I'm gluten free) and we were able to make delicious homemade gf pasta and gnocchi. We cooked SO much and enjoyed a fun and delicious day.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

My sister in law and I booked this class months before our trip based on Trip Advisor reviews and we were far from disappointed! We met Shirley at 9am ( after driving 1 1/2 hours) in a cafe and over coffees and pastries with another couple we decided on a menu and shopped. Shirley took us up to her beautiful home and we had an absolutely magnificent day filled with cooking, eating, drinking as much wine as we wanted and chatted non stop. Shirley is passionate about cooking and loves sharing her stories and cooking experiences. We left very full, with bags of leftovers and a recipe book at 7:45pm after a fantastic day. As we are still travelling we have cooked many of the recipes. I would thoroughly recommend Shirley!!!

1  Thank Hawktoast
Reviewed June 3, 2013

In just one week after my husband and I were cooking with Shirley in Cortona we were in our home making Sugo Finto, Pici Pasta and Foccacia with our children and grandchildren! We couldn't replicate the view or the WINE (even with Chianti Classico from Costco)but we were so delighted with the class and all we learned. It truly was the highlight of our time in Tuscany. It was a pleasure getting to know Shirley and cooking with her at her home in the mountains above Cortona...and the cookbook she put together was SO helpful.I'm sure it will get many pasta sauce splatters on it! We were able to find the little boards for making the short pasta (my husband's favorite thing to do with the grandkids) while still in Italy. The other ingredients we needed we've found back in the states. I've planted my zucchini seeds and will look forward to stuffing the blossoms!

See more reviews
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I was staying in Arezzo with a group of 3 friends. The highlight of our trip was our day with Shirley. We got to pick out recipes that interested us. We are vegetarian/pescatarian and that was no problem. We not only made all the things we had picked out, but Shirley also taught us new recipes on the fly. Typically with cooking classes you make one meal and eat it, and that's fine. But with Shirley we made a full lunch, then a full dinner. We were full most of the next day as well. So we got to try all kinds of things. We were able to take home some of the stuff too, and we all now have a nice recipe book for posterity. She is deeply knowledgeable about regional cooking in Italy and her class has a fun hands-on style. She was able to size up our group (we are foodies) and manage all of us as we cooked in her kitchen.

The only challenge was that the bus from Cortona train station to downtown Cortona that we needed to take wasn't running, and we were a bit confused as to how to get to Cortona when we arrived at the train station. But in the end Shirley came to the train station to pick us up and also kindly dropped us off there at the end.