“Gluten Free”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Small and quainte little restaurant with a nicely varied menu of local cuisine, they can make almost everting gluten free and came highly recommended by our host though he has some connection to the owners.
the food was good but a bit pricey at 50 euros for two but the price did include a litre of very nice house red, and this is a tourist town.
The waiter was pleasant and full of recommendations.
It's always a pleasure to dine out in Europe, I always feel like a guest and not a customer.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

I spent six months (Jan - August 2013) in Cortona and stumbled onto Il Cacciatore my second day there. I knew no one in town but Stefano (the waiter) made me feel welcome immediately. The food turned out to be delicious, so I returned many, many times for lunches and dinners. Il Cacciatore definitely has the best tagliata in town. Over the six months I was in Cortona, I tried the tagliata everywhere. But Il Cacciatore has the best. Il Cacciatore also has the best pizza in Cortona.

Il Cacciatore doesn't have a bar, per se, but I sometimes went there for wine or beer and some appetizers. The wine selection is quite extensive and covers all price ranges. But of particular note is the fact that the house red wine at Il Cacciatore is quite outstanding.

Il Cacciatore became my home away from home because everyone there treated me like family. Stefano, of course, has to be the best waiter anywhere, always attentive, even helped me with my Italian. Alessandro, the owner, and his father Dino, who does most of the cooking, came to my table to greet me almost very time I was at the restaurant. The warm atmosphere of this restaurant radiates out to the customers and seems to make everyone friendly. Conversations among patrons at different tables is not uncommon. I made a number of new friends while having lunch or dinner at Il Cacciatore.

Alessandro also has a delightful b&b just on the edge of town called Villa Valenza (www.villavalenza.net). The B&B is on the same street as Frances Mayes' house (Bramesole) and has the same gorgeous views.

I'm returning to Cortona for three months this summer and the first thing I will do (after getting settled in my apartment) will be to go to Il Cacciatore to see my friends and to have a wonderful meal.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

I've been to Ristorante Il Cacciatore twice, both times for pizza. Not sure how its other dishes compare to other restaurants in Cortona, but it definitely has the best pizza I've tried. The service has been good both times I've been there. It's not a great restaurant, but it's one of the better values I've found here.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

My wife and I got married in Cortona in the summer of 1999 and were visiting Cortona this summer with our children and stopped in for lunch. The staff was extremely nice and welcoming and the food was excellent. We will be going back.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Contrary to the date indicated, it's four years since we were here but the memories linger and after researching this delightful ristorante for my current manuscript I stumbled across one of the reviews below which contained everything I needed to include about a dish and couldn't quite remember!
My husband and I found this little gem as we wandered the streets of enchanting Cortona on our first night.
We were the only patrons as it was near 'the end of the season' - which we found out later in Rapallo - and consequently we were waited on like a king and queen - something these two Aussie travellers will remember always!
The service was second to none - with our waiter bringing us complimentary extras that we couldn't possibly fit in but tried diligently to so as not to offend him.
It was our first time tasting truffles and those delicious little slivers enhanced the tender strips of steak and pasta of our tasty meal.
Such a delightful experience on an evening like no other in our first medieval town. Something to treasure...

1  Thank JenniferLarmarAuthor