All reviews small car world traveler magnifying mirror tight corners luxury travel ancient monastery welcome drink indoor pool upgraded room perfect position superb hotel cobblestone streets every staff member rain shower google maps very special place special experience
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The town of Cortona is one of the most wonderful magical medieval locations in Tuscany. It was made famous by the charming book Under the Tuscan Sun.
The hotel Monastero lives up to the magical beauty of the town. It is a recently renovated former monastery that provides not only the most gracious rooms you could desire but warm and friendly and helpful staff that complement the wonderful accommodations.

I could not recommend a location and an accommodation In such a wonderful location more highly! It would be fascinating to know what the former monks might think of this extraordinary transformation!

Room tip: Any room with a view of the town and mountains
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights mid week. Both the hotel itself which is an ex monastery within walking distance to the center of Cortona and the staff were fantastic.
We cannot praised the staff enough for their always courteous and helpful service. Nothing was too much trouble for them and we were made to feel very welcome. Fabulous breakfast with many choices. Higlhly recommended. !

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

A fabulous blend of old school charm, character and service with contemporary luxuries and comforts. Beautifully restored and maintained hotel 5 min walk from the centre of town. The staff were exceptional and all clearly took pride in their work. Special mention to Claudia who went over and above to support us in our stay.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had five nights at this high quality hotel. It is within the old city walls and naturally is a steep climb from the outside carpark. It is possible to drive up to unload and not enter the ZTL area. There is limited parking in the hotel garage which probably needs to be arranged in advance.
Apart from the very generous and comfortably furnished rooms the thing that set this place apart was the wonderful staff and service. We were greeted very warmly on arrival and as it was a hot day were given a cool drink in the reception lounge. All the staff, Susanna, Bruno, Luigi, manager Giuseppe and others were attentive and interested in doing their absolute best to look after us. All in all a very high quality establishment and we highly recommend you consider staying if visiting Cortona.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

What an amazing hotel! I stayed there September 4-9, 2019. Probably my favorite hotel I've ever stayed in anywhere in the world. I don't like big chain hotels and like to feel like I am in a special boutique hotel that truly captures the essence of whatever location I find myself visiting. This hotel is Cortona in all its Tuscan perfection. From the moment I arrived (or got lost trying to navigate the little streets to the hotel and was found and personally escorted in my car up to the hotel by the lovely manager, Giuseppe) to the moment I drove away with heavy heart six days later, after extending an extra night, every single moment in this lovely boutique hotel was just about perfect.

The hotel itself is stunningly designed. A perfect blend of old world charm and style with new world technology. Each room is a little different and has a different outlook on Cortona. My friend was in the room next door and each of our rooms had it's own distinct charm and views. The beds were dreamy, the rooms were charming, airy and beautiful with cozy robes and plush slippers and lovely spa products in the bathrooms that were light and not too floral. When I say they thought of everything, they have a magnifying mirror, a hair dryer, flip flops for the spa, fun lighting options for the shower, a handheld and rain shower, super plush towels and a towel warmer in the bathroom! The evening turndown service leaves the most delicious little cookies that I looked forward to every day. The staff was all just as accommodating and lovely as could be. From making dinner reservations to making sure this early riser had her cappuccino without having to ask, every morning before breakfast hours started each day and even packing us a bagged breakfast on the morning we had to leave at 7AM for our excursion. The early evenings were spent poolside with a glass of wine and appetizer as the we sat under the setting Tuscan sun and being taken care of by the wait staff who made sure our glasses of wine were filled and we had everything we wanted and felt not only taken care of, but that they genuinely put their customers first and truly want to make you happy. It was a level of customer service that has been lost in these times. I felt like I was in a dream for 6 days. I can't wait to go back and would only stay here when I return to Cortona. The spa was also lovely. The soaking pools with their various jets feel so good after long days of walking. I'm not sure why there is an extra fee for guests to use the spa, but it was certainly worth using. The breakfasts were delicious, especially that divine homemade apple cake. I loved that they were thoughtful in the renovation of the monastery and maintained the remainders of the original frescos in the breakfast room.

My tip for you is if you are planning to drive and park at the hotel, *be sure to read and write down the very specific directions to the hotel* If you try to drive and read on your phone or follow GPS once inside the gates, you will definitely 100% get lost or hit one of the very narrow walls through which you have to drive and make tight turns (which thankfully I did not hit the wall, though I came close!!) Once inside the correct gate, it's really quite simple: go through the gate and take your second left at the pasta shop and go up the hill which will veer left when you get to the steep part at the top and the hotel will be on your right. But even if you get it wrong, the wonderful manager will go out on foot looking for you and guide you in, which was actually pretty funny and a great way to start the trip!

My only complaint is that once word gets out about this special place that this hotel will get so popular they will be 100% booked all the time and I won't be able to get a room. All-in-all a 10 out of 10 experience and I look forward to returning! Thank you Giuseppe, Susannah and all the staff for your wonderful care and service. I look forward to returning soon!

Room tip: All the rooms are gorgeous, some have better views than others. Just ask and they will surely accommodate.