“So good we returned with our daughters”

Trattoria La Grotta
Ranked #19 of 106 Restaurants in Cortona
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 17, 2013

My husband and I ate at the restaurant several times last summer, so we happily returned with our daughters this year. We were not disappointed - and 'our' waiter remembered us! We all found something perfect to eat from the menu, and although the restaurant was busy the waiting staff were well in control and there was a happy buzz of happy diners throughout our meal. When given the choice of any restaurant in Cortona to visit at the end of our stay, our daughters chose this one! Two happy generations of diners!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

This place is down a little alley off of the main piazza. the food was quite good, and the service was good as well. It was fairly crowded the night we were there--always a good sign.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

On a very warm August night we visited the town of Cortona and discovered this restaurant by accident as it is nestled inside the wall of the piazza. Taking the last table for two on the terrace we were greeted warmly by our host. The menu was varied and we wanted to taste one of each, but being reasonable we started with a smoked salmon and mozzarella and trio of bruschetta with truffles. Each bite of the bruschetta was a delight as the truffles were sublime. My wife had the spaghetti in duck ragu and I had the tagliolini al tartufo fresco with a side of wild boar sausage. What a delightful meal. If ever you go there try the sausage house made, lean and so many subtle flavors. Portions were reasonable. So for desert we had decided to share a torta de limon. As the plate arrived my spouse took a first biteful and proclaimed as she pulled the plate towards herself that she was not sharing! So I promptly ordered another for myself and understood immediately why she did not want to share. It was one of the best tarts I have ever eaten period. All in all the visit to Cortona was delight and ending it with the meal La Grotta made it all the better.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

The food is very good and the prices are very reasonable. I ate there on a Sunday afternoon with 6 of my Italian relatives. It was like going out when I was a kid(a long time ago).We were late and the staff bent over backwards for us. The pici (a thick local spaghetti) with duck sauce is their specialty and is a must.Don't miss this if in Cortona.

1  Thank shogun93278
Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

We actually had lunch here twice during our stay in corona. The courtyard is beautiful, but inside is cozy too. We had the house wine, antipasti, and primi and were very full, for a very reasonable price. The gelato is fabulous. Also, the best bruschetta polmodoro we had anywhere. Devine, and not touristy despite being just off the main square.