“Believe the hype. This place was really great.”
Review of La Bucaccia

La Bucaccia
Ranked #3 of 103 Restaurants in Cortona
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Justifiably number one in Cortona. Service was excellent, food was unique, yet Tuscan. They had an extensive wine list and a rich menu. The prices were really very good, and they gave some free homemade goat cheese and some free biscotti for my dad on his birthday (which was awesome). I'd say the portions weren't "knock your socks off" but for Italy, they were great. The ambiance was perhaps the best of any restaurant I've ever been in. Really. It's like a little wine cellar. We'd go back in a second, if were ever in Cortona again.

There are newer reviews for La Bucaccia

Reviewed June 12, 2013

If you want quiet and privacy, this is not the restaurant for you. However if you don't mind close dining quarters, a proprietor that hovers, entertains and takes photos for you, this is the place. I recommend it for special occasions and its fun atmosphere and really good food. Reservations strongly advised. Our first time we arrived without and were graciously accommodated after someone failed to show. We were certain to make reservations for our return meal before we left because the excellent food alone was worth returning for and Romano could not be a better host. We were served an amuse bouche while waiting for our appetizer. Speaking of freebies, we were also served pannacotta with raspberry coulis while waiting for our dessert of baked apple in a filo pastry. So very delicious. Then there was the grappa before we left. The wine choices were excellent and my husband loved the raviolis with pecorino, pear and pepper sauce. So much so, that I ordered it at our next visit and he had the tagiatti trufalo. The pork and beef dishes were also delicious. The desserts are all excellent here. We ordered off the ala carte menu but there is an excellent prix fixe also. The proprietors work hard to be #1 in Cortona and their effort is apparent in all their presentations. There is a steep hill going up or going down from the restaurant depending on which direction you are coming from. I managed in the rain and with a bad hip so it is doable and we did not regret the effort.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Tucked away in the back streets of Cortona La Bucaccia is certainly worth finding. The dining area is quite small and table space is at a premium, my only complaint was that we seemed a bit cramped for space. I have eaten there several times and will return. The menu is quite different from the normal Tuscan choices and the wine list is comprehensive. The food is of a good quality and well presented. Service is a little slow but the food worth the wait. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for an entertaining evening.

1  Thank ContadinoDiVino
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stuck so close to the table next to me I could taste their food! The reviews state that this is the best place in cortona I would say the most over rated - please try another place the food was dated the service was poor & the owner very annoying

1  Thank Cm2209
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I recently experienced Italy for the very first time and was lucky enough to travel into the countryside to visit Cortona and find this gem. It was a group of 7 ladies (family) and we did not have a reservation. We were merely walking the streets and shopping the boutiques when we pulled it up on TripAdvisor once we were hungry for lunch. We were lucky enough to all sit outside and fill all 4 tables available. Inside was completely packed so it wasn't an option. I'm assuming a reservation would be a good idea.

Romano was a bit of a charmer and quite fun. We enjoyed a few different appetizers, All of us ordered different main courses and allowed everyone else to try their meal. We had multiple different pasta dishes and meat dishes, everything was wonderful. All the ingredients were fresh and in season. We were surprised by an array of desserts, which were all very very good. If you have any questions...leave it to Romano...he took great care of us. I will definitely go back the next time I'm in Italy.