“260 Miles, 3 Visits, Two Thumbs Up” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Bucaccia

La Bucaccia
Ranked #3 of 99 Restaurants in Cortona
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Rome, Italy
“260 Miles, 3 Visits, Two Thumbs Up”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I live in Rome part time and yesterday for the third time I made the 260 mile round trip drive to La Bucaccia in Cortona, with guests, just to have the filetto di manzo al vino rosso (filet in red wine). Owner Romano Magi and his chef wife Agostina remembered me and treated my party like royalty. We had crostini, truffled eggs, chestnut flour ravioli, fresh ricotta, the filets in red wine, potato, Tuscan beans and wine. After that we paid for nothing else and enjoyed, compliments of Mr. Magi, cafe, amaro, grappa, biscotti, and prosciutto that was made in house.

Everything was excellent. The knife sank effortlessly through the tender filets that were so soft they seemed to melt in my mouth.

After having properly prepared and cooked Chianina (Italian breed of cattle) filets, I find it impossible to eat steak in the U.S.

Although Cortona is a common tourist destination and this bucolic little town targets the tourist trade, this charming little restaurant manages to maintain its Tuscan integrity and identity with classic regional dishes. As an avid amateur cook I've journeyed into many Tuscan restaurants and always appreciate the presence of authenticity in the face of the tourist trade.

Mr. Magi is passionate about his restaurant and isn't shy about it. Two thumbs up.

1 Thank MarcelloSantilli

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta
“A true Tuscan treat . . . in a wonderful hilltown.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

During each of our trips to Italy, my wife, Amy, and I return to restaurants that are old favorites while hunting for something new and special. We discovered La Bucaccia years ago along with some other Cortona favorites. If you've looked at other reviews on Cortona restaurants, you may have disovered some of our other special places.

The owners of la Bucaccia are warm and very friendly. Sometimes, exceptionally friendly . . . read to the end of this review.

The food at la Bucaccia is always exceptional and the service is always very good. Because they allow you to dine, service at all restaurants in Italy is sometimes perceived as slow by non Italians. Take your time in Italy to enjoy the opportunity to relax and . . . dine.

La Bucaccia is another place where locals treat themselves . . . a good sign. Also, prices are reasonable and we are always very pleased with what we received for what we paid.

This is also a restaurant where you may want to make a reservation if you plan to be there for dinner. We watched several couples being turned away.

Regarding the extra warmth you might discover at la Bucaccia . . . we had enjoyed an especially nice time that night and shared some laughs with the owner and other guests. So, when we got up to leave, the owner invited us to the bar for a taste of grappa (a whole other story). Upon asking him to pose for a picture with my wife . . . he gladly agree, then kissed her!
It's Italian!!

This is a special place and special people to enjoy.

2 Thank TomRossAtlanta
London, United Kingdom
“Very friendly, but need to be improved some points...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

A daughter was loaming near the entrance, as I sat on the terrace I asked her to bring the wine I ordered. She just told me ‘call my mum’ and took a seat at the table next to me, which seemed not nice at all…. I had grilled vegetables, but the carrot was not cooked enough, it was shame that was the worst grilled vegetable I have ever had in Italy (I visit Italy more than 10 times per year). The pasta with Truffle was nice, I could see it was handmade pasta. But for me who had been to Truffle festival in Alba several times, it not good enough to fully enjoy. Their service was very friendly and nice, but the timing to serve the food was a bit slow, and they forgot to bring the wine I ordered. I have to say, I was disappointed by this restaurant as I had a big expectation based on the comments in Tripadvisor…

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
magiro, Proprietario at La Bucaccia, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Ms. Nana K
Thank you for your review, but we d 'agreement with his statements.Our daughter lives with us and sometimes comes to visit the restaurant during the service.
Like all parents are happy to see it and can not find anything wrong with that if you sit in the chair near a table to a customer. If then in his case he called his mother was just a polite gesture to keep her waiting.
His observations on grilled vegetables we would like them had at the time of the service, to receive the same dish often compliments. The timing of our services take into account the indications of the majority of customers who like to sit at the table to talk.
We are ready to follow the prompts for a faster service.
But remember that you by your order with the receipt took just 17 minutes to 1 glass of wine, 1 1tagliolino and grilled vegetables.
In general, it can happen that someone creates very high expectations reading reviews on tripadvisor as he points out, too.
We are happy because in many cases we have even exceeded expectations.
We greet you and thank you anyway for your review.
Romano Magi
Rome
“Exceeded Expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

For a weekend trip to Cortona we were very excited to try the best restaurants this beautiful town in Tuscany had to offer. La Bucaccia was ranked #1 so we figured we'd better give it a try. We reserved the same day (I think we were fortunate to get a table!) and we were able to get one their beautiful cozy tables outside, which made the experience even more memorable.

The meal was fantastic, and particularly memorable were the wine and the secondi (meat dishes) that my girlfriend and I had. The service was just perfect and after dinner the owner and chef came out to talk to us to make sure that everything was ok and he found time in his busy evening to have a nice chat with us. Genuine friendliness and interest in your customers makes all the difference!

What really sets this place apart is that even though they are #1, the prices are very reasonable and the staff are extremely friendly and down to earth. La Bucaccia has earned the top spot, and they don't seem to be resting on their laurels.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank RU_Noel
Pleasanton, California
“Say hello to Ramon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Bucaccia came recommended to us by a friend in Italy, so we tried it. Bucaccia is now one of our top two restaurants in Italy. Bucaccia offers wonderful ambiance, delicious food. good prices and a friendly staff. I cannot say enough good things about this restaurant. Just be sure to go... you will enjoy it!

1 Thank jilldenton