“Paridise”

Ranked #44 of 87 Hotels in Taormina
Melbourne, Australia
“Paridise”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

This Hotel was amazing!!! Staff were fantastic always ready to help you….and views from our patio were simply breathe taking….looking out to the pool and ocean!!! My room was great and food was amazing too….I would definitely recommend this Hotel….thank you to all at the Grand Hotel San Pietro for my very memorable stay!! :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I've just returned from a week's stay at the San Pietro and it was the restful tonic I needed.

The good things first: the staff were always exceptionally polite and helpful: the heel came off my shoe on the outward journey and, after umming and ahhing a little, the concierge managed to have it reheeled in the space of a morning.

I came back at 5am one morning, exhausted after a 12 hour driving odyssey (don't ask) and just left my hire car at the car park barrier and staff were happy to sort it out for me without even being asked.

I had a pedicure at the spa with the lovely German beautician, and that was a good experience.

The restaurant staff asked me with utmost courtesy if their amuse-bouche, that contained pork, would be OK for me.

Generally the staff were very gracious.

But the hotel could not, I think, be classified as a 5*L. Rooms are small and dark. Comfortable enough but slightly lacking in finesse, despite the very high thread count bedlinen. The minibar never worked in our room and the air conditioning was sporadic. I never use either of these so we discovered the malfunctions quite late in our stay but they should have been checked out before our arrival. We were offered another room to sleep in with functioning air conditioning but then the A/C came on of its own accord. Offering one free bottle of mineral water for a whole week's stay in such a hot climate is really not sufficient, I'd say.

The bathroom was vast but inadequate. I was given the room with the disability-friendly bathroom, but it's a pity that the handrails and other fittings for people with disabilities were of such a poor quality, white plastic finish. The shower was adequate, but only barely so in terms of water flow. I judge hotels on the quality of their showers so this has to be a thumbs down for me.

Free included wifi was sporadic. It was OK, if extremely slow, most of the time in the room, but did not work anywhere outside it. Again, surely this can be fixed. It is not right that it compares unfavourably with hotels in India, say.

I did use the gym, but the treadmill was only barely adequate and its placement on the floor meant that it rattled noisily as I ran. The video screen did not work.

The pool and the view from the pool were lovely and the attendants keep it very neat and tidy. Bar snacks were hugely expensive: Euros 10 for four small baguette pieces spread with chopped artichokes is extortionate, I'd say. Generally the quality of the food in the restaurant was adequate. Some dishes were far better than others: the sea bass was beautifully cooked, for example, but one just cannot make guacamole with unripe avocados. I found it quite expensive but actually Taormina is an expensive resort and restaurants outside are no more reasonably priced. There were very good wines available and restaurant service was always gracious and helpful.

Yes, it is a 10 minute walk uphill into town, but it is a pleasant walk and Taormina is a beautiful place. Although I have some reservations about the quality of the hotel offering, it is not really overpriced for what it is and compares favourably on price with many other similar places. I'd probably say it was a very good 4* hotel. All in all, I really enjoyed my trip and I'd be happy to return to the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room. Rooms facing the road might be noisy.
2 Thank MsAlliance
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed at the Grand Hotel San Pietro for eight days in july based on Tripadvisor reviews and were so happy we chose this resort.
The rooms were comfortable and we had a wonderful view of the ocean from our patio. The pool area was beautiful - we could have sat by the pool for hours on end. The breakfast was limited in selection but we didn't mind because everything was fresh and delicious. We had lunch and dinner at the restaurant in the hotel which we enjoyed very much. The beach is at their sister hotel a few minutes away by shuttle but it was very rocky and difficult to get into the ocean.
They offered a free shuttle service to take us to town and they accommodated us whenever possible. We didn't use the gym as it was very small.
Taormina town is very quaint and pretty with many shops and restaurants .
We took a walking tour of the town one morning which we enjoyed very much. I would suggest you take a boat tour of the bays in the area as the coastline is quite beautiful.
We didn't mind that the wifi was sporadic-- we needed a little downtime from our phones anyway.

I would have to say that the best asset to this property was the staff. They couldn't do enough for us.
They arranged our tours, suggested wonderful restaurants, and gave us directions over and over again with pleasure. I must say a special grazie to Vera and Paulo who made our vacation so enjoyable.
I would highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a relaxing vacation at a luxury hotel in Sicily.

Room Tip: stay in an ocean view room with a patio
1 Thank saulsgirls
Pinner, England
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Just returned from 8 days in Taormina at the Grand Hotel San Pietro.
Starting with the resort and surrounding area. Taormina is a great resort. It's set on a hill with the town at the top and a cable car to take you down to the beach. The views are stunning.
The nearby towns on the coastline are a bit hit and miss though. Giardini Naxos is also worth a visit but that's about it.
The hotel has several good points. It's classically Italian, nicely decorated, friendly staff, superb views and a good swimming pool area. Rooms are OK but as stated in other reviews in need of a bit of a make over. Another good point is that room rates are a bit less than some of the other 5 star options in town.
The downsides are...
Hopeless wifi. It works intermittently and even then at a snails pace.
Breakfasts are boring unless you pay for a la carte extras. Location isn't great. Its a 10 minute, uphill walk into town although there is an hourly shuttle bus. Other 5 star hotels seem to be better located.
Probably wouldn't book there again if I went back to the area.

Room Tip: Get a sea view room
2 Thank PeterSF
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We have just returned from a 12 day stay and would commend the Hotel on its friendly helpful staff and overall cleanliness throughout .
However on our second evening we returned to the Hotel at 10.30 entered the Bar outside area ( which separated from the restaurant area ) only to be refused service due to the fact that I was wearing shorts. I could understand if the shorts were beach or sports wear but they were tailored chino shorts and smart looking obviously we left and never returned .to have to wear trousers ( ironically jeans are ok !) when the temperature is still 20 degrees is outdated and ridiculous especially as a paying guest. At the end of the day it was to the cost of the Hotel as we had our evening nightcap else where.
I did take this up with the Hotel reception and asked them why there were no signs in the Bar or in the Hotel literature and they agreed that it was a rather an old fashioned rule and that they should at least make guests aware to save the embarrassment of being refused service. The pool bar was also very limited on its selection of snacks and overly expensive, again very few guests used it. Perhaps the Hotel will take note- hope so as they have many things correct

Room Tip: Sea view a must
2 Thank 970rob1
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We have returned from a 10 day holiday in Taormina and enjoyed the Hotel.
We paid quite a bit extra for a superior room with a sea view. Whilst we were glad we did as the view was excellent and a very spacious room and balcony we felt it was a lot extra.
However if you can afford to do this I would reccomend as you will not get a view otherwise.
We had clean sheets daily and towels twice daily.
The staff on the Reception were quite helpful and the shuttle bus was there if required.
We felt breakfast was the same daily and expensive if you required a cooked breakfast.
We had dinner for our anniversary and it was delightful and the staff very attentive.
We always stay in a 5 star hotel and I would not say that this standard is better that any others we have been in and this is certainly a lot more expensive.
All in all I will not return to Sicily in the near future as I have lots of other places to visit.
If you can afford it and you want quiet and a spectacular view I would certainly reccomend.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are the best if you can afford it. High rooms for the view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank yvonne_sharp
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We are accustomed to staying in 5 star hotels and I picked this hotel for our 12-day stay in Taormina based upon Trip Advisor reviews. I was not disappointed. Words like perfect, wonderful, and fantastic seem so inadequate when describing the Grand Hotel San Pietro, Taormina. The hotel is what I would call understated elegant. Common rooms are beautiful, yet cozy. The entire atmosphere is relaxed. Sit down on a lobby sofa and a staff person will appear from nowhere to ask if you want anything. And of course, you order an espresso and sit and relax.

The pool area has a wonderful panoramic view of the town. Our room had a view of the Ionian Sea that stretched endlessly on the horizon. Every morning sunrise was a natural wonder. We were lucky enough one afternoon to see a huge pod of dolphins swim by over the course of an hour. Whiling away time is pretty easy here.

The hotel’s outdoor dining is elegant yet comfortable. One day, as we sat waiting for our lunch, we watched one of the hotel kitchen staff cut lemons off the potted trees that surrounded the dining area. It was hypnotic to sit and watch this simple act of farm to table. The food was very good and breakfast was wonderful. Each and every staff person at the hotel was warm, friendly, and oh so helpful. Our needs were anticipated before we could voice them. One morning we left before dawn to attend a sunrise festival about an hour away. We had told the front desk we would be leaving early, and wouldn’t you know, our car had been brought around and was waiting at the front door at 4:00 am.

The hotel is a very short walk from the main streets of Taormina. The walk is scenic and Taormina is a town I would love to live in. The hotel does have a shuttle, but we never took it because the walk was entertaining. Even when it sprinkled rain, we just walked. All of the concierge restaurant recommendations were very good. This awesome hotel made our stay in Taormina absolutely perfect. We will return again, and again.

Room Tip: definitely a sea view with balcony
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family