“Probabily the best view up Taormina”
Review of Sole Castello

Sole Castello
Ranked #60 of 87 Hotels in Taormina
Reviewed February 13, 2013

From the balcony of my room the best view up Taormina and the Etna volcano
ever seen. The hotel is located on the hill top of the town near the ancient castle and the curch of Madonna Rocca. There you find a small terrace with a wonderful view up the Teatro Greco and the sea.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 888Thomas_M
There are newer reviews for Sole Castello

Reviewed November 7, 2012

The staff is not only arrogant but aggressive and threatening. I would never stay here again for that reason alone. The overall condition of the hotel is that of a low-grade 2 star hotel in need of a serious renovation. Getting to and from the center of town is at best a nightmare (from the hotel you have to first walk down several hundred steps) to impossible (back up a steep hill using those same stairs). Every "extra," from breakfast to wifi access to taxi services (20 euros for a less than 10 minute ride to the center!) is a price gouge. Any other option in Taormina has to be better than this!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank tom m
Reviewed October 5, 2012

No carpets, doors opening and closing all night and morning, the staff starts cleaning at 7a.m., cigarette burns in the bed spread, virtually no hot water, surly staff morning, noon and night. Go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank John M
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel has an amazing view....However it is located in between Taormina city center and Castemola. I agree with everyone else the hotel management was HORRIBLE...very rude and made the stay unpleasnt. Also if you are going during the summer they only run the air condition from 2 pm to 4 am, and it doesn't work very well at all. Also be prepared as their credit card machine didn't work when we went to check out... the receponist insisted we go to the city center to the atm...however the people that checked out behind us were forced to leave their luggage as colleteral for when they returned with the money to pay their tab. Overall I would rate this hotel itself amazing....when you add the horrible staff I would give it a one star.....

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maria1810
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I have just returned from my 6 days stay at this hotel and I cannot decide what the first thing I should mention is: the ecstasy brought by the breathtaking panorama or the instant and continuous repulsion caused by the services provided by this hotel.
The road to the hotel meant ascending on numerous hairpin turns on a narrow road and praying that the bus driver has a great day (I must mention that the drivers were excellent, to say the least). It was all worthwhile, as the view was astonishing, like an impressionist painting of a genius artist. The majestic volcano Etna and the crystal clear azure sea at its feet, brought together in the perfect scenery….
The attached photo was taken from the balcony of my room, a few moments after my arrival… Heaven before the fall, right? Right. However, returning in the room to unpack, I had a surprise of the worse kind: the floor was full of long black hairs completed by numerous specks of dust. The walls were scratched and dirty (how expensive is lime this days?). I found that the room was not at all isolated and I could hear every breath from the hall of from the neighbouring rooms (so I always woke up with the earliest riser in the hotel, because I could hear him perfectly). In adition there was a constant shouting of the cleaning ladies. This is an indulgent description of the conditions in a room from a hotel that charged EUR 3 for a bottle of water and EUR 5 for a small local beer…
Hotel in which English was an extraterrestrial language, as nobody seemed to understand it, let alone speak it. However, with my little knowledge of Italian, I have managed to understand the buses’ routes and schedules. Last bus to the hotel left the square at 23:45, thing that we usually remembered while eating an ice cream or having a beer on an adorable terrace, always long after midnight. We climbed the infamous stairs every night and it never took us more than 25 minutes from the town square. I actually enjoyed the climb. The scenery was wonderful, there was a light breeze and all that effort helped me sleep better, feel better and, why not, exercise a little even on vacation.
The hotel (which, by the way, forbid bringing any food or drink from outside the hotel) displayed a very high level of staff rudeness. One day, we were the only persons at the pool. We’ve ordered soda and coffee, and also brought a bottle of water from the room (ordered the night before from the hotel bar) in order to empty it before buying a new one. This angry waiter shouted at us long minutes as if we were guilty of a majour crime (and I mean the “cover your ears” type of loudness). We’ve tried to explain that it was bought from the hotel, but our English words were of no use there. So I found myself yelled at for minutes by a rude bartender, guilty of spending my money in their hotel.
The wireless password changed every day and last morning, though I had paid (paid I tell you) the wi-fi for the entire stay, I was refused internet access, on the grounds that I was leaving that day and I couldn’t be given a password that would be valid for another 24 hours (?!).
I would turn this review into a novel, should I depict all the rudeness I was subjected to. Overall, I was disappointed to find that TripAdvisor recommends this hotel. I never would.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Andradac
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I chose this hotel from a website based on the stunning views it showed - when we were driving up steep multiple hairpin bends I realised why the view was so amazing and hoped it was worth it...

We had a worrying start with an unfriendly hotel receptionist who tried to give us a room without the view of Etna and the bay. Luckily, I produced an email that promised this would be available for us and a smiley receptionsit quickly and efficiently checked us into a small, clean room that opened onto a huge balcony with the most amazing vista. Wow. This view was described in DK guidebook as 'one of the greatest in the world' & I think this budget hotel's view beats some of the more expensive places further down the mountainside.

Bathroom was small and clean. Air Conditioning was very weak but kept the room just bearable overnight. Rooms were cleaned perfectly - even an item I thought I had lost was put prominently on the bed for me to find. A typical European budget room. The swimming pool was small but perfect for an early evening dip and lounge before preparing to go out again. I sometimes felt a bit ripped off by the price of beers at the bar but it's an expensive resort and we did enjoy those beers!! Breakfast was adequate.

Other reviewers have complained about the steps. Well, the reception staff were really helpful about providing information on bus times and we quite happily walked down the steps to town - amazing views of Taormina square and the Greek Theatre on the way - and then caught the last (cheap, modern, air conditioned) bus home at about midnight. It was great fun being slightly tipsy and going round those tight hairpins in a bus! One night we missed the last bus and paid €15 to get back which was comparable to Sheffield prices regarding distance etc and worth paying rather than climbing the steps. We also had a hire car which made going to the local beaches quick and easy during the day - good, free parking at the back of the hotel and cheap parking at the beach. But one day we went down the steps and used the cable car to the beach which was fun too, so quite manageable without a car. Recommended as long as you're not too fussy.

Room Tip: Insist on a room with a view - email in advance.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Faye K
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I would have given this hotel a better grade without this incident below with the hotel manager. And moreover, you should know that the hotel is in the top of the hill in Taormina - so every time you want to go the city center or anywhere in the neighbourhood, you have to climb down and up hundreds of stairs (~half an hour). There are two busses that go to the city center, but the last one goes around 18:30 and they don't go that often anyways - so we ended up using a bus only once during the whole week. Taxis cost around 15 euros to the hotel from the city center, so it would become an expensive option to use them every time you want to go somewhere.

We tried to cancel the last night at the hotel because our plane was leaving at 8:00 in Catania, and there was no way we could get there with the public transportation that early. The hotel manager said it is ok but eventually it turned out that he tried to cheat us the money for the last night, even though we wouldn't have stayed there. And even though he let us understand it differently. Luckily we were in contact with hotels.com and they told what the situation really was. Basically, the manager was lying us. A very slimy guy he was.

The manager also promised us that they would make us early breakfast because we were leaving "by taxi" before the breakfast time. We woke up half on hour earlier for the breakfast, but there was nothing there.

"The taxi" what the hotel arranged us to the airport, was not a taxi - didn't have a taxi sign, meter or anything. It was obviously someone in the family. The price was the same as it would have been by normal taxi. But I guess it was a good way again to earn some extra money - and avoid taxes.

Apart from the manager, the other staff was really nice, and the view from the hotel was breathtaking.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends