“prominent location - could do better”

Trattoria piazza Badia
Ranked #80 of 262 Restaurants in Taormina
Good for: Dining on a budget, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Thames Ditton, United Kingdom
“prominent location - could do better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

In a prominent location on Corso Umberto close to the Messina Gate and access to Greek Theatre, we had a table for lunch for 6 on the narrow front terrace. Attractive appearance and not a big restaurant, a few tables available further inside. The menu was decent enough and had a good range. We had various choices - service was pleasant but somewhat slow (not over-busy but seems to be a common feature) - the food was mostly ok; my swordfish was quite nice; other average but a carbonara was spoiled by the egg being overcooked and almost scrambled. Under €20 per head incl drinks and gratuity for a single course. It is Taormina which is over-touristed and we did not feel huge enthusiasm for the meal.
Probably would try elsewhere if we returned - but note that 2 of our party who arrived early had tried another nearby and walked out, given up waiting over 20 minutes for any service.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank stanmansurrey

• Polish first
West Midlands
“Dissapointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

We were encouraged to go into this restaurant by a very 'pushy' waiter who grabbed my arm and pushed a glass of prosseco into my hand when we wandered up to look at the menu. Having been drawn to the restaurant by live Sicilian music playing (which was on my wish list of holiday things to achieve...eat at restaurant with live Sicilian music) imagine my disappointment when comments of 'Americano' were banded about and the music suddenly changed to songs that were far from Sicilian! When querying it the waiter told me to wait for the lovely young lady to start singing that had just arrived as she was a beautiful singer. I reserve judgment on that as we never did hear her sing! - Disappointment 1
Encouraged by the waiter and his enthusiasm for the meal he was describing we ordered the tourist special....yes I know...stupid of us!...but having never had a bad meal before anywhere we have travelled in Italy we figured that the waiters description of the food would be reliable. Well it wasn't. The meal was at best just about passable - Disappointment 2
Being a family of three we like a full bottle of wine with our meal to share. For some reason the waiter poured a glass each then disappeared with the bottle. When asked where our wine had gone he explained that it was cheaper for us to buy wine by the glass but on challenging this he decided that maybe he would do us a deal and suddenly appeared with our bottle and emptied it into our glasses. - Disappointment 3.
I know we were 'tourists', I know that we should have not allowed ourselves to be 'persuaded' to go into a restaurant without looking first, I know that we should not have allowed ourselves to be 'persuaded' to choose something that maybe our gut instinct told us wasn't a good idea. At the end of the day though we have never had an experience like this before where quite obviously we were being treated as 'tourists' and worse still as 'tourists' who can't speak Italian so we can rip them off with mediocre food and half a bottle of wine.
We were told this restaurant had only opened that week by the waiter. Well if this is true they have a lot of hard work to do to ensure that their guests get what they want, whether tourists or not. There are so many lovely restaurants and so much competition in the town I would recommend you choose somewhere else to experience 'true Sicilian' food and hospitality.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank RDCoventry
gabrielezeta, Proprietario at Trattoria piazza Badia, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
I apologize for the inconvenience.
the waiter was on trial.
I hope to see you again and accommodate free of charge, to say sorry personally