“Small, friendly, great value for money in an expensive area...”
Review of Hotel Condor

Hotel Condor
Ranked #26 of 88 Hotels in Taormina
Norwich
“Small, friendly, great value for money in an expensive area...”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

My wife and I liked the idea of visiting Sicily and had the money for a good trip. However, the shocking costs of the hotels in Taormina were very off putting. After some careful research we concluded that the area was quite an up-market tourist trap and plenty of money would be required to eat well and enjoy the island generally. So, we looked at the reviews and gambled on a 2 star hotel that had raves. So most of the local hotels were in 4 figures to stay for 9 days and we felt this was money wasted when the Hotel Condor was getting such good reviews.

I am pleased to say it deserves the positive reviews thoroughly, but it is a 2 star hotel. The hotel is very clean and the rooms are serviced every day. The rooms are a good size and the beds are much more comfortable than the last few 4 star hotels I had on Greek Islands! Free speedy Wifi, lots of storage space, good bathrooms, great staff always on hand and helpful. The location is great; I am writing this from the terrace of the hotel which has an amazing view to the mainland and shores below.

Breakfast is included and is as good as any 3 or 4 star I have generally had. Plus they serve it til 10am. Most places in Greece finish at 9am and the fare is not! There is Sky TV in the room, but it is mostly Italian and not much use. That said, Sky News is in English and usual Music TV is available 24/7. A "nice to have" for quiet moments. The aircon works really well, more than most 3 star hotels can say!

So what are the things that make this a 2 Star? Not sure overall, but somethings that could be an issue are:
No evening meal available, some of the rooms are a little dark due to the building design, the whole place suffers from echo and noise does travel throughout the building. I would not like to be here with a stag do crowd or hen night party.

Apart from these things, I am very happy here and recommend this place for what it is. A comfortable and affordable hotel in a beautiful town called Taormina.

Room Tip: If you can get a bigger room, go for it. Ours is dark with no view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tolleyr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Storrs, Connecticut
Reviewed September 9, 2012

The hotel is not too far from the bus station and main street. I was able to walk with a few bags with the help of people and some signs on the street. However, the room is too small, not to mention the bathroom. I'm very slim guy and I didn't have enough space in the shower!!

It gets very noisy. I could hear every move/every flush of the toilet from adjacent rooms! Staff need to learn to speak English and be more friendly as well.

I heard from people I met at a conference there that there are much nicer hotels around. I think most of the positive reviews are misleading! I regret staying at this hotel

Room Tip: If you have to stay at this hotel. Never accept a room on the reception floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Samora007
Cumbria
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had two weeks this August 2012 in Hotel Condor in Taormina. We couldn't fault anything about the hotel or the service. The hotel is situated in a quieter part of Taormina just a 5 mins walk from the town, which is great as the town is very busy and its good to come away from the noise of that. The hotel is small with just 18 rooms, which suited us perfectly. The family that run the hotel were very friendly and helpful...full of useful info about where to eat or what to see, bookibg trips for us, organising taxis. Nothing was too much trouble. The room was fairly spacious, clean and although classed as a non view room...we still had balcony to sit on with a bit of a view of the sea...The bathroom was small but adequate for all our needs. On occasions we could hear people coming and going in neighboring rooms..but I've never been in any hotel were you don't. We had breakfast on the terrace outside everyday and it was spot on. Continental breakfast with tea or coffee, fresh juice, croissants, fruit, cakes, ham, cheese etc just lovely. On the whole a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Sammi41
Kells, Ireland
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My girlfriend & I stayed here for the first 3 nights of our trip to Sicily. It has a great location about 5 minute walk to the main shopping/bar/restaurant area and 10 minutes to the Greek Amphitheatre ruins. the hotel also provide a secure car park nearby at the cost of 10 euro a day....this is well worth it as getting parking around the town seems to be nearly impossible. The hotel has 2 terraces, the mid level one where breakfast is served (a very filling breakfast...bread/cheese/ham/eggs) and top terrace which was great for sitting in and relaxing in in the evenings. there is also free wifi which had a strong connection. The staff were very helpful & friendly, pointing us in the direction of the less expensive places to eat/drink in town and never once pushed any of the very expensive tours that were advertised in their lobby on us. The hotel also had a strong wifi connection.  The only negative I have with the hotel is the room and bathroom size, they were very small with very little room to move around & unpack bags. The bathroom was so small anyone over 6 foot would have trouble sitting on the toilet properly. However dispite the room size and the fact that we think it's a little overpriced (though Taormina is an expensive town) I would recommend the Condor Hotel for anyone thinking of staying in Taormina.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GerbinhoPower
Dublin
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Sorry for the late review.
We stayed in 2011 for 2 nights.

We were given a room downstairs which was lovely and spacious, bathroom was fine, not very big though, but modern with a good shower. Beds were comfortable. The rooms were clean and perfectly comfortable. As we were in the basement it was nice and cool without needing the aircon,

It was a short walk to the town of Taormina. Marcello was very welcoming and helpful during our stay, can't fault him. The view from the terrace is gorgeous, but unfortunately on both mornings we were there it was quite foggy so we didn't get to take advantage of the views.

Downsides are: the parking is very limited and an additional charge.
The room we had, whilst large and airy, was very very dated decor wise and this seems to be the case throughout. Whilst I appreciate sometime this adds to the charm, in our room it was dated 80's early 90's style, so not charming or stylish at all! The bathroom was newly decorated though, and very nice. But the most important this is that it was spotlessly clean, and I can forgive decor once the facilities are clean, so overall I was happy.

The breakfast was not very inspiring - I was anticipating something a bit more substantial or exciting based upon my breakfast experiences in other parts of Italy and Sicily. But having said that, it was perfectly fine, just nothing special.

All in all, a nice hotel, lovely welcome. Decent facilities, even if decor is a little dated. Excellent location.

Price is good for Taormina (which is to say honestly a bit expensive compared to some European Capital cities - this 2 star hotel is priced at similar rates to what you would get a 3 or 4 star hotel in Berlin or Dublin or Amsterdam! but that is part of the 'charm' of Italy and particularly Sicily - it's expensive prices! lol)

For a 2 star hotel this is of very good standard and in its price range and star rating I would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a basement room - ours was a corner room at the end of the hall on the lower ground floor...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pinky-fiver
London
Reviewed July 31, 2012

This hotel represented exceptional value. I stayed here for 14 nights in June with my partner. I made the booking by credit card directly with the hotel using its secure website, the first time I have done this. The hotel took our passport details on our first night and we paid on departure. This all went without a hitch and the English-speaking staff were happy to deal with my e-mail enquiries pre-arrival, and indeed all my enquiries post-arrival!
The hotel itself is very clean and rooms have LCD tvs with multi-channel digital tv. Some reviewers have complained about noise but we had no problems whatsoever. There was very effective air conditioning Breakfast is provided on the roof terrace with lovely sea views, and a waitress comes to take your order. On offer were mostly cereal and rolls, with cheese, ham etc and even cakes! We would have enjoyed the addition of fruit / real fruit juice but for a 2 star hotel we are not complaining. The roof terrace does have a bar but the hotel's excellent location close to the 'Corso', the main street on which there were a huge number of bars, meant we never made use of this. You do not get a fridge in the room but again this is to be expected for 2 stars. We found the cheapest place to buy bottled water is at the top of Via Pirandelli, only 1 euro for a 2 litre bottle. The hotel does not have its own laundry service but reception can arrange for a local launderette to pick laundry up and return it at a very reasonable price.

Overall we had an excellent stay, and while the hotel did not have the luxuries of a higher grade hotel we were more than comfortable, and glad to have additional money for excursions and nights out.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cornholio67
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We recently enjoyed our stay with Marcello and his family at the Condor Hotel in Taormina. Set high on the cliffs on the periphery of this charming town, this hotel offers superb views across the Straits of Messina towards the Italian coast and is only a quick stroll to the centre of town.
Spotlessly clean, bright and very comfortable, our double room with balcony, was a delight to return to each day after exploring this wonderful part of the world.
Marcello and his staff were always present at the front desk with helpful advice on travel and dining destinations all of which proved to be first rate.
Breakfast on the rooftop in the warm morning sun with a view across the water was an inspiring start to the day.
Thank you Marcello....we hope to be back one day soon!

Room Tip: Ask for balcony room with sea view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple