“Disappointing - but we had been spoilt in Salina”
Review of La Plage Resort

La Plage Resort
Ranked #44 of 87 Hotels in Taormina
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

We decided to finish our trip in what we thought would be the ultimate 5 star luxury. Unfortunately we had been sooo spoilt on the island of Salina we were very disappointed.
Tiny bungalow, no garden privacy, on a noisy path. So we asked to move. Weren't advised of the price change which was already too high on my first impression.
Although brand new bungalows not 5 star in my opinion 3 star.
On the beach made to feel uncomfortable by staff, went to use the beds, was told they were for hotel guests only!!! When I said I am a hotel guest, was looked at suspiciously, don't get me wrong I wasn't dressed head to toe in Gucci but equally was dressed nicely. Never felt so uncomfortably.
Only positives, breakfast was amazing and we did a cooking course which was fun

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank ANix1

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed here in May 2013 for 10 days, in a garden bungalow. I'll split the review in positives and negatives.

POSITIVES:
Stunning location, at the feet of Taormina, directly on a small, quiet beach. The bungalows are in a beautiful, lush green garden overlooking the sea and Isola Bella. The place is very calm and peaceful, perfect for a relaxing vacation.
Breakfast is on a wide, open air terrace facing Isola Bella and with a 180' degrees view of beach and sea.
Our room was very clean and staff came by at least twice daily to tidy up and clean.
A beach umbrella + sunbeds + beach towels are included and the two life guards on the private hotel beach were very friendly and helpful.
Every evening the staff comes by to leave sweet treats on your pillows.
The hotel has a private, fenced parking, so no worries if you rent a car.
Reasonable room price considering the unique location.
The fitness room is not very big (1 weights machine, 1 treadmill and another workout machine) but has a beautiful view over the sea.

NEGATIVES:
The beach is a pebble beach.
The town center is a good hike uphill with lots of stairs (you can take the nearby cable car but there's still some 100 steps to hike).
The Bungalows are modern and new but rather small (about 18 m2).
The fusion restaurant is expensive, especially considering the portions are not generous (I was charged 18 Euros for a small Caprese salad, that is, a sliced raw tomato with mozzarella cheese!).
There's few dining options unless you walk/drive up to Taormina, especially before Mid-May, you can have dinner only at the hotel's restaurant. Lunch can be eaten at the nearby Mendolia or Pizzichella Cafes/restaurant on the beach.
There are train tracks running right behind the garden bungalows, with trains passing by every half hour or so.
Room fittings, particularly in the bathroom, need some proper fixing, as they are often wobbly and shaky (faucets, magnifying mirror) or not working correctly (air conditioning, minibar fridge).
What annoyed us the most, was that the hotel management didn't seem to prioritize our needs. For example, we had phoned before our trip to ask if a water boiler was available for making our baby's food and were assured we would find one and therefore didn't pack ours. At our arrival we found a baby bottle heater instead. It was nice of them to buy one for us, but unfortunately it was not what we needed. I was told we would get one the day after (a 5 star hotel should have a boiler in every room!) and even after two further requests never got either boiler nor an answer from the staff. When I told them about the other probems in the room (air conditioning and fridge not working, wobbly fittings) I got the impression they didn't really care.

Garden bungalow vs Beach view bungalow? If you plan on staying a lot in your bungalow and garden, it's probably worth upgrading to a beach view bungalow where you have more privacy, otherwise a garden bungalow will also do and save you some money (Taormina is quite expensive!). Note that some garden bungalows are really crammed next to each other with basically no garden space of their own.

A tip if you come by car from Catania airport: at the exit of the highway, after paying the toll, turn right (follow direction "mare", not Taormina center) and then make a right again, following "Catania". After about 1-2 km you'll have the hotel parking down on your left and you'll avoid getting lost in Taormina!

Overall: we had a pleasant vacation, the grounds and location are gorgeous, but the hotel management needs to work harder to improve service and those details that make a 5 star worth its rating.

Room Tip: Garden Bungalows 401-402-403 were tucked away from the rest and had a little bit of garden of their...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank FantasminoFormaggino
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Location- the hotel is right on the beach so it gave us easy access. The views are amazing especially from the breakfast terrace and restaurant. Access to town is via some steep steps and a cable car (takes about 20 minutes) but we preferred to be by the beach rather than in town, much more chilled out which is what we were looking for. There is a train line by the hotel but this didn't bother us even though I'm a light sleeper.
Room- we were in a garden view bungalow which was very cute, comfortable and private.
Food- the breakfast was amazing! A great start to the day. The pastries were so tasty and fresh. Good selection of cooked food as well as cereals and fresh fruit. The fresh orange juice was gorgeous.
Beach- pebbly beach so you need beach shoes. The hotel life guard was friendly and very helpful, giving us towels and reserving us some loungers. It wasn't too busy so we could relax and enjoy the stunning views. We did a boat trip for 25euros which was worth it. It's cheaper if there are more of you. There are hawkers on the beach so be prepared to say a polite no. Also Chinese ladies giving massages, I had Dinah who gave a pretty good massage. Very relaxing.
I'd highly recommend this hotel for the location, beach, cute bungalows, breakfast and helpful staff.

Room Tip: Bungalows are nice and private. Not massive but very cosy.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

This was a truly beautiful hotel. We stayed in an immaculate bungalow and the service was equally as good. The food in the restaurant was excellent and the views over the ocean stunning.

It is expensive but worth every penny even if you just stay one night as we did.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I returned, it can't be avoided! It's still a fantastic hotel! I can go on, but one thing I didn't write about in my last review was the food. Yes the waiter was a jerk, but the staff were impeccable this time.
Fusion restaurant is outstanding!! Even if you don't stay at the hotel, eat here! It's wonderful!
I ate the freshest swordfish, cooked two different ways...mouth watering! And the pasta is amazing!
The chef Simone and his team are super talented. We had no idea what to have for desert, and he sent out his new creation ( I have no idea if this is on the menu) called 'Etna'. It was a strawberry concoction that literally exploded in your mouth!! Haha :-)
Along with wonderful food, and yes, it's not cheap...is the wine selection. I have become a huge fan of Sicilian wines, especially the Chardonnay.
Mario is the man! He has an impressive selection of wines, and selected one for us that was in our budget and was excellent.
And if you like your drinks mixed NY style, not Aussie style...you will be impressed!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MissSydney
Reviewed April 6, 2013

The separate rooms (bungalow) concept is ideal for privacy and that sense of being alone in this wonderful location in front of the Isola Bella. Staff is very cordial and helpful. Breakfast was very enticing and the Fusion restaurant for dinners wass amazing. Highly recommended to anyone.
Thanks for the wonderful stay. We really enjoyed it.
David and Ritianne from Malta.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DavidZahra
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We went here in October 2012 for our honeymoon and WOW! When you arrive through an automatic gate you are met by a porter to carry your bags down some steps and through a well-designed tunnel where you reach reception. I asked my wife to wait outside and went into reception where Giuseppe was waiting with a large grin on his face. He was expecting us, and confirmed that they had made some "special arrangements" for our first night of our honeymoon. He walked us round to our private bungalow, it was dark at this point but we could hear waves lapping on the beach. They also arranged at this point for dinner to be brought to our garden. When my wife opened the door to the bungalow, even though I knew about the special arrangements, we were both blown away. The whole room had been scattered with rose petals, and a bottle of champagne on the side waiting for us with a congratulatory note from the staff. Our bungalow was large, neat, clean and well presented. The garden was amazing with a hammock, table and chairs, sun loungers and the best of all a clean and hot Jacuzzi. In the morning when the sun came up we saw actually how amazing this place was. Dinner and breakfast could be eaten overlooking the sea and Isola Bella. The beach was quiet, private and clean. The staff at the hotel would bend over backwards to help, even to the point that I had run out of cigarettes and the restaurant manager gave me a pack of his own free of charge. To finish off our honeymoon we booked dinner on the beach which blew our minds. Our own table within feet of the lapping waves, torches lit the way and we had our own waiter standing by. The food was out of this world. I would certainly recommend this hotel to couples and we cannot wait to return again and again for anniversaries. We are not the sort of people who would return to the same place no matter how good it is, but this place is so heavenly that it must be the exception to our rule.

Room Tip: The bungalows with sea view are amazing!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple