This hotel (which is over a hundred years old) has a slightly old-world elegance with wonderul gardens, swimming pool and outlook towards both the sea and Mount Etna. Our room was very spacious with generous storage and a shower more powerful than any I have previously come across in a hotel (room 022 - oddly, next to the room where a previous reviewer complained of the low pressure in the shower!). The room gave us views across both the gardens and Mount Etna. The air con was swithched off at night which was a bit of an irritation and be warned that you need to make provision for mosquitos - I got several impressive bites. Having said that, the hotel staff were happy to supply a plug-in mosquito repellent when asked.
The location of the Hotel is perfect - just at the start of the Corsa Umberto, so that it could not have been easier to take an after dinner stroll each evening down this wonderfully atmospheric pedestrian street. The Hotel is also ideally located for exploring the whole of Taomina and Castelmola.
Food was good overall, with 4 courses available at dinner. Staff were pleasant and generally efficient although we did have a couple of 'Manuel' moments at meals... The bar area and the interconnecting lounges were lovely and the 'extras' served with pre-dinner drinks a very nice touch.
The swimming pool was theoretically closed but my husband was told he could use it and there were towels available in the pool area. He felt the pool was very impressive for a hotel in terms of both length and depth, and it was certainly situated to make the most of the views.
I can definitely recommend this hotel, though B & B might be better than Half Board if you want to sample the best of Sicilian cuisine.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Excelsior Palace Hotel even to day after more then one hundred years its building is considered one of the most appreciated hotel structure in Taormina.Its architecture draw its origin from a context cultural and natural,Greek,Roman and Medieval.The Excelsior Palace Hotel looks over one of the most beautiful wiew of the world:Etna and the Bay of Naxos, the Greek Theatre, and the immense space of the Jonian Sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Excelsior Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excelsior Palace Taormina
- Hotel Excelsior Palace
- Excelsior Palace Hotel Taormina, Sicily