“Steps steps and more steps”
Review of Hotel Villa Greta

Hotel Villa Greta
Ranked #43 of 87 Hotels in Taormina
Reviewed July 11, 2013

In room facilities at this hotel were very basic and poor. The room was very small and cramped for 4 people. The bathroom although large was so poorly designed it was almost impractical to use. For example the shower cubicle was squashed next to the toilet. so when one sits down on the throne to do whatever nature demands, the shower cubicle plastic walls are touching one's knees.

We are average to fit people and found it difficult. There was plenty of room to move one or the other to another corner of the bathroom.

Nowadays it is so necessary to have a electrical socket in the rooms in order to charge the multitude of electrical gadgets. Here there was no socket in the room and we had to use the shaver socket in the bathroom.

Now we move to the location and access to the hotel. Hmm, there are two entrances to the hotel which lies on what can be described as a cliff edge. The bottom one means you have to climb up a multitude of steps to get to the reception. The top entrance means you have to climb down to reception. Our room was one flight up from the reception. To give you an idea, the number of steps to the top entrance was around 50!, and very narrow.

Then to go to the town centre you have to go walking down steps for about a Kilometre. Coming back up is very ardous and tiring. Get the picture?

OK so we made it through the night and went for breakfast, which was the same every day. The meat section had at least 5-10 wasps on the cut meat.

Now to the staff. The owner was friendly enough, but the lady in charge of reception was, we all felt very cold and abrupt. I don't think she was Italian. The other overseas staff were friendly but being from Sri Lanka, not very knowledgeable on the local area.

In summary, unless you are training for a marathon, this is not the place for you. If you are of a medium or a large build, again this is not a place for you. If you are with any health conditions this is not a place for you.

Some people have said the views are great from this hotel, but then the views from almost any place in Taormina are great.

Would we stay there again? NO

I hope this helps.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Villa Greta is driven by a family and that is something you feel while staying there.
The atmosphere is lovely and the staff is very friendly and helpful. I really liked the friendly/family environment; the staff was joking around (in english) and made us a part of it. That was so fun. But don’t get me wrong, the staff was as well professional and serious when needed.
Villa Greta is situated above Taormina which leaves you with a spectacular view over the town, sea and Etna. Above the hotel, on a terrace, you will find the restaurant, as well driven by the family. The food is great, and enjoying your meal with the view from here is fantastic. The rooms are comfortable and clean, and have everything you need. No complaints. I strongly recommend Villa Greta to everyone who is looking for a cheap hotel in expensive Taormina and with a nice family staff.
I will definitely go back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AMRomeo
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Great little hotel, good value for money, very friendly staff, good food and only a fifteen minute downhill walk to the main town. Great views from hotel. There are two entrances to hotel, get taxi to drop you to the top road entrance as there are 94 steps up to reception from the bottom entrance.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Although it is quite far up the hills (abt 10 min walk to piazza/main square but try not to get lost), the views of the coast & Mt Etna makes up for it. Have dinner at the hotel 1 night and you can enjoy sunset and the night lights. Very romantic. The hosts could speak v good English and were also very helpful with my questions on tours & bus info. Do make time for the beach and there's a shuttle to Lido La Dolce Vita for 8 euros (includes umbrella) per pax. Absolute beach paradise.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Well this is a strange one, But if you have been to Taormina, You will understand, The whole town, is built up the side of a mountain, With roads that make the Swiss Alps seem Flat !!!. When we found what we thought was the Hotel Villa Greta, All we saw was a small garden gate, and a pretty crummy sign, So Obviously got the wrong place you'd think, so we carried on around the Mega twisty road.
One Kilometer later, on the left we saw another door, by a weird bus stop looking thing, with a sign saying Hotel Villa Greta. After asking a bewildered local, we were informed,
Yes they were both the same !! And the hotel was in between. So down what would be 3 or 4 floors, we found the reception. How to describe the place? Higgle dy Piggly dy, Shack like, With steel steps in places, like on a Ferry !!. The Views are Superb, All the Bay, and Etna, The rooms Basic, Internet V unreliable, we had 5 mins worth . Breakfast Ok, Staff OK, But as not English, No Help what so ever. The Room Locks are CRAP 1 lever type, and when asked about the safe, we got dumb looks. At 50/60 euro not too bad. Sure is a place to remember.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank levace
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Villa Greta is an excellent budget hotel in Taormina. The staff were friendly & helpful and our room was spotless. The view from our balcony across the town & of Mt. Etna was sensational. The hotel is sited on several levels on a steep site and so sadly is not suitable for any one with walking problems. We pre-booked car parking (which is very limited) but did not have an issue either when we parked on the top road, but we were off season. Breakfast was plentiful if not a little quirky! It's the first time I've been offered decorated cupcakes at 8.30 a.m. But the home made blood orange conserve was wonderful.

Room Tip: The upgraded rooms have large balconies with an awning which meant we could sit outside during sprin...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I have travelled extensively in over 100 countries and rarely give a negative review but this site is all about honesty so I must speak the truth. Due to an emergency with a sick pet at home I had to change my plans and travel alone so I booked Room 23 at Hotel Greta. I took the bus from Catania airport to Taormina and then a taxi- a steep 15 euros (no meter).

The hotel is certainly in a spectacular setting although difficult to appreciate due to the rain and for anyone with mobility issues due to stairs etc. it would be problematic. The room was very spartan and certainly could have done with a simple coat of paint. No English language channels in 2013 but channels in Spanish, German etc and as much trash Italian TV as you like.

The following morning I decide to return to Catania as it was still pouring rain. The woman who served breakfast was I believe Indian and did her best. I explained that I would need a taxi or at least a bus timetable but she could provide no assistance and no manager or anyone else was around- thankfully I wasn't having a medical emergency or I might not be writing this review.

My only viable option was to wait outside in the rain at the busstop in the hope that a bus or taxi MIGHt COME ALONG- eventually after 40 minutes, myself and luggage totally soaked two very kind Swiss womwn gave me a ride to the station.

I am totally disgusted with this treatment- my poor sick dog in Ireland is receiving far better care- SHAME ON YOU HOTEL GRETA

Room Tip: find somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo