“Wonderful stay”

Hotel Villa Carlotta
Ranked #2 of 87 Hotels in Taormina
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Villa Carlotta is one of the best hotels I have stayed in. The property is a lovely building with a beautiful garden and swimming pool. The breakfast is exceptional and the terrace has an amazing panoramic view of Mount Etna and the Ionian Sea, perfect for an aperitivo in the evening.
The staff are attentive and proffesional, providing outstanding service with genuine warmth.
The location is perfect. 5 minutes walk from the center of Taormina and across the road from the bus stop for Catania aeroporto.
I would recommend Villa Carlotta as the first choice if somebody was thinking of staying in Taormina and will definately be returning there myself in the near future.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tinylittledevil
Write a ReviewReviews (1,724)

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Here is some discussion of Taormina geography which I didn't appreciate before coming.

Some hotels are on the water, and have (or should have) resort-like amenities. There is very little action on the seafront, so your hotel will wind up being 90% of your experience.

Some hotels are in the town proper, which is on top of the mountain. This is what most people mean when they refer to Taormina. It is a medieval town of reasonable size, with lots of restaurants and varied shopping of the type that average people can afford. The big cultural attraction, the Greek Theatre, is at the northeast end of town. Overall, I found Taormina more agreeable than Capri, which has fewer restaurants and exclusively high-end shopping that ordinary mortals can't do more than look at from outside the shop windows.

Just below the town proper are a few other hotels, which are walking distance to the town (10-15 minutes upslope) but quite a bit quieter. Villa Carlotta is in this category.

My room was nicely furnished and comfortable, except for the bathroom, which like many bathrooms in Italy was designed by an interior designer with no common sense at all. Not to be too graphic, using the toilet required some contortion and sitting in an unusual angle, and instead of a practical shower stall, they had the standard-issue very narrow bathtub with a partial glass splash-guard instead of a proper enclosure or curtain. I mention these because the bathroom deficiencies stood out in contrast to the nice bedroom.

In every other respect the hotel was very pleasant. Their rooftop terrace has a view of the sea and of Mt. Etna, and serves an appealing breakfast buffet with some Sicilian specialties. Staff are helpful and efficient. Internet was weak but serviceable.

If you don't mind the uphill climb to town (as I did not), Villa Carlotta is a fine choice.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
11  Thank MannyG2000
villacarlotta, Owner at Hotel Villa Carlotta, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Dear MannyG,
I would like to thank you for taking some time to post this positive review and for the many praises about your recent stay at our Taormina boutique hotel Villa Carlotta .
Although I fully respect your opinion, I regret I have to totally disagree with you.
I would like to say that Taormina started doing tourism about 150 years ago (The Italian Grand Tour) so I have to say that the description of our "geography" is useless as the millions visitors we have know Taormina very well.
Your title , excuse me, is totally misleading as Villa Carlotta is definetely into the town center of Taormina and located at about 7 minutes walk to the pedestrian historical town. The so called upslope walk is indeed a pleasant easy walk that everybody including children, elderly people, wheelchair people or baby strollers have no problem at all to manage.Please check all previous reviews and have this confirmed.
Also let me tell you that your comment about our Italian designers' bathroom are very very personal, in many years of business none has ever complained about their lay-out.
Sorry but sometimes we have to restore the reality and truth.
Kind regards,
Mr. Andrea Quartucci

Reviewed November 15, 2013

The Villa Carlotta is a luxury boutique hotel with stunning views of the Mediterranean Sea and Mount Etna, within a short walk of Taormina town center. My husband and I recently had the pleasure of staying at this exclusive Sicilian Villa in October. We stayed at Villa Carlotta two years ago and just "HAD" to return!
Villa Carlotta is a family-run Villa, a Villa we cannot get out of our minds. There is so much to write about – the staff, rooms, views, pool and the FOOD!!!
The staff at Villa Carlotta treats you like family from the moment you arrive. The owners Andrea and Rosaria Quartucci are truly amazing people that want to give you the ultimate Sicilian experience (thank you Olga, Simone, Ricardo, Alberto, Maria, Natalie, Shevin, Dilan, Marco and amazing Chef David and pastry Chef Salvatore and the rest of the staff).
The rooms are absolutely beautiful from the decor, linens, comfortable beds and cleanliness to the spectacular views of the turquoise Mediterranean Sea. Waking up to the sunrise with the vibrant hues was incredible. Swimming and relaxing by the outdoor pool was so delightful after the perfect day of exploring the magnificent Greco Theater and walking around the charming town of Taormina, both of which are a short walk from the Villa. The Taormina town center has so much to offer – Piazza del Duomo, shopping and people watching along Corso Umberto and so much more.
There are also many delightful common areas around the Villa where you can take in the views of the sea and Mt. Etna or read a book in the library with a glass of wine or an espresso. There is nothing more glorious than eating breakfast on the roof top terrace of the Villa Carlotta where one can see the majestic Mt. Etna and the Sea. The breakfast is incredible with so many choices from traditional Sicilian and Italian cuisine. I am still dreaming of those breakfasts. One afternoon we were honored to partake in a cooking lesson from Chef David. We learned to make some delicious dishes and participate in the preparation and presentation while enjoying delicious Sicilian wine. Later that evening, we had the most amazing dining experience out on the terrace accompanied by a full moon. They use nothing but the freshest ingredients preparing their Sicilian dishes. The locally caught fish and pistachio crusted cannoli were highlights of the dinner. Thank you Chef David. Fantastico!
My husband and I are planning another trip to Sicily and, yes, we are going back to Villa Carlotta, back to our home away from home.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We carefully selected this hotel for a special birthday celebration and family holiday so arrived with high expectations. It exceeded all our hopes in every way. The location is ideal, perched high above the bay with views out to sea and Mount Etna, conveniently between the steps or cable car to Isola Bella and the town centre. Throughout the hotel everything has been carefully thought about from the selection of unique pieces of furniture to various different places to sit and enjoy the garden, pool, books or view. Breakfast is excellent but so too is dinner on the rooftop terrace looking across the bay. We were especially delighted with the chef's birthday cake on the big day and special ragu sauce made for the children, ravenous from a day's excursion volcano climbing. Aside from our beautiful room and all the luxuries of this intimate boutique place, we could not believe how wonderful the staff are. Not only are they kind and attentive but they genuinely made us feel that we were welcome and part of a very happily run family experience. Most world class hotels are slick, anonymous places where you slip in and out of a seamless but faceless affair. At Villa Carlotta you are greeted with warmth and made to feel like royalty throughout your stay. An experience of a lifetime to be repeated as often as possible!

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite which suited two adults with two children under ten perfectly.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
villacarlotta, Front Office Manager at Hotel Villa Carlotta, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Dear Tamara,
it is not easy to express our gratitude and satisfaction after reding your generous and glorious review.
Thank you for pointing out the many services we are able to provide to our guests, we try to offer a travelling life time experience rather than a simple hotel stay, people do not purchase a room and a meal at Hotel Villa Carlotta Taormina but a real human experience fulfilled by many magical moments.
We all still remember your fantastic well behaved children and you and your husband so that we look forward to seeing you again in 2014 . I am happy to hear you found your Suite as beautiful and confortable for the whole family.
All the best from my self, all Villa Carlotta staff and Mr Quartucci, the G.M.

Riccardo C., front office manager

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed here as a family in October.

The hotel, has the most stunning views of the sea and the bay. We chose this hotel due to the reviews on TA and also because it has a pool and is just a 10 minute walk to the town.

The staff on reception were very helpful and cheery.

The breakfast was every good, I've never seen such a large choice of food!

Excellent stay and the weather was beautiful.

The hotel is most definatley worth its Certificate of Excellence.

Don't forget your mozzi spray.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Within a moment of entering the lobby, a bit harried from driving ourselves on small, winding, unfamiliar roads in the dark, we were greeted by Simona at the front desk. She said, "Please, put down your things. We will take care of everything for you. We have a glass of wine and snack waiting for you on the terrace where Olga will tell you about our hotel". Really? Wow. I could feel the stress start to leave my body. And the service and experience only got better from there. The terrace is beautiful with gorgeous views of Taormina and the sea. Our spacious and beautifully decorated room had the same views. The staff was always ready with a warm smile and helpful information and the building/grounds were very interesting and beautiful. There are two peaceful study/salon type rooms available for lounging with a good book and a glass of wine. The lounge on the top floor also has the same panoramic view as the terrace. There are several levels of lounge area on patios and a lovely pool. I would describe the breakfast as sumptuous, with a large array of warm and cold selections, savory and sweet. The location is within easy walking distance from the center of town. There really was nothing that wasn't a ten out of ten. I would come back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is a boutique hotel with approx. 23 rooms just about two minutes downhill from the botanical gardens - about a ten minute walk to the greek theatre. The hotel was in every respect 10/10. Service, grounds, facilities, location - can't think of anything that was less than perfect. I don't say that often, but I don't hesitate here.

The only thing I found to complain about - and I had to search pretty hard to find a complaint - was that the power goes off in the room every time you leave making it problematic to recharge your iPad. Small thing indeed (by the way - I eventually figured out that you can unplug the TV as that socket stays live even when you are out!).

Our room was a junior suite on the 2nd floor. From our window we looked down over the gardens below, the pool and beyond the sea. Other rooms below had walk-out patios. The view was fabulous and panoramic over Taormina bay.

Rooms (Jr. Suite) large and comfortable. Bathroom as well. You might find the bathtub a bit challenging to use for a tub (as opposed to the rain shower it also contains) given that it is a bit narrow. Small issue that did not concern me.

The breakfast should go by another name - feast perhaps would do it justice. It is served on the third floor with a terrace having a panoramic view. Kill me if I ever tire of that view. It might be helpful to bring a hat or sunglasses on sunny days as the terrace faces north and east and thus gets a lot of the rising sun in the morning. Views out over Taormina bay on to the mainland. From one side of the terrace, Etna is clearly in view even if its peak is somewhat obscured by a large tree at a neighboring hotel. The food - fresh juices, fresh bread and buns, five or six kinds of cheese, yoghurt, ham and salami, perfectly scrambled eggs (slow cooked), various savory pies, sweet ones, fruit. Beautifully presented in a staggeringly beautiful setting. If something is wanting, I cant imagine what it is. Service friendly to a fault and multiligual.

In the hotel gardens can be found Byzantine-era "cubuli" (essentially condominium-style tombs carved into the rock) as well as some more in exposed in the wall in the 1st floor lounge. There is a beautiful outdoor pool with plenty of recliners and shade umbrellas. An aerie on the 3rd floor to retreat with a book. WiFi works well throughout and was plenty strong enough to enable VOIP calls home whenever we wanted. I have posted a few pictures of the view from the hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple