“Unable to obtain reliable Information”

Circumetnea Railway
Ranked #27 of 102 things to do in Taormina
Michigan
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“Unable to obtain reliable Information”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We did not make this trip, even though my companoion and I spent 10 days, just to the North, in Taorrmina and we have been in Ionian Sicily, as well, last year. We did, over the course of two days, spend several hours on-line, attempting to obtain needful rail and bus connections to make a "circumnavigation" of Etna on this rail line ( the website is useless ) with a planned overnight stop in Randazzo. Our best efforts yielded no reliable information. Like the "cable car" from Taormina to the beach below, no one seems to have a clue as to why it, too, is not operating. Even from the official Tourist Office there was a lack of genuine information, outside of schedules for rail and bus that lacked any reasonable daily coordination? I have run into this "problem" way too many times in Sicily, including a five year closure of the archeological museum in Palermo. I am reminded of a popular saying among the locals in Fidel's Cuba, "Nadie sabe nada!" that is, "Nobody knows nothing!" Unspoken: We do not wish to speculate. I received much the same response when I questioned the lack of a coordinated public transportation system in Messina and Catania provinces. Well, I will speculate! Applying Occum's Razor: Who might stand to profit by inefficient public travel infrastructure? Who "owns" the most direct, yet expensive means of transportation; tours and taxis? Mafia?

Visited March 2014
5 Thank MichiganZumbido

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Catania, Italy
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Good service but no information for tourists”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

The railway is definitely worth going for to enjoy wonderful views on Etna. However, it's not an easy task for a tourist to find any information in English. The trains are pretty old but run according to the schedule and are clean, I actually liked the 'retro' effect of the old train. One minus for me is that it does not complete the circle so that you have to change transport two times to arrive where you started (in case you parked the car there).

Visited October 2013
10 Thank Oksana_Barkhat
Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Not getatable”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We did this trip a few years ago and though not particularly user friendly was possible. We attempted it again this year and the time table simply didn't work. What a shame. It was a wonderful experience before.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank islandlover99
Pinner Middlesex
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Could be an excellent ride, dependent on the season”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I traveled from Taormina Giardini railway station (we had to walk there from Mazzaro because buses are so unreliable) to Catania Centrale from where we traveled to Catania Borgo by Metro - cost 1 Euro, the Circumetnea railway station is just across the road. We traveled the whole journey to Giarre Riposto from where we traveled back to Taormina Giardini then walked back to our hotel in Mazzaro.
the Circumetnea journey was interesting but as our journey was in late September some of the views were obsrtucted by trees. Nevertheless the trip was worthwhile as quite a variation of scenery can be enjoyed, probably even more so in early spring when fewer leaves are on the trees.the whole journey lasted just over 3 hours, 3 hours well spent, good value for money, 14.5 Euro per person.

Visited September 2013
10 Thank De-ache-ess
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A little disappointing”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Spent a day exploring the area around Etna via the little train. There was virtually no info on the leaflet given with the ticket just photos but no information to tell you which stop to get off to look at the views in the pictures. The train doesn't actually get as near to the top as I thought it would so you need a good camera with zoom to get any decent pictures. Trains were all on time but not very frequent so you need to plan your day carefully. As per the rest of Sicily that I visited I feel the Italian Tourism minister or department need to spend a little time and money promoting their lovely island by way of more leaflets and info on the various attractions. The seats on the train are a snug squeeze for 2 so try not to sit next to an overweight person or you will be pretty squashed!

Visited September 2013