Taormina is a gorgeous and fun town with a multitude of hotels to choose from. Villa Belvedere is a great place to stay while visiting. It's right on the outskirts of the busy city center--about a five minute walk from the Corso Umberto (the main street)
We booked last minute and got one of the last rooms available (I think in the whole town!) so we did not have any sort of view whatsoever. I believe we paid too much for a room without a view, though, but my fault for not booking earlier. Our window was right at street level, so we couldn't even open our blinds unless we wanted to speak to everyone walking by!
The room was nice and clean; I've stayed in more spacious rooms but also much smaller rooms, too...bathroom was large with a nice shower. Good water pressure and plenty of hot water.
We only visited the pool area once; there's way too much to do in Taormina to sit by a pool! We ate lunch there our first day and it was quite good. The pool area is very relaxing and seems enjoyable if you want to hang out. I don't think it's open all that late in the day, though-we would have enjoyed having a drink down by the pool in the afternoon, but I do not think it was open.
The breakfast each morning was quite good; there was a great array of things to choose from including scrambled eggs, bacon as well as quiche and sweet cakes and fresh fruit. Breakfast is served inside, when they do have a lovely patio where you could eat instead (but there is no convenient door to the patio from the breakfast area so no one sits out there). They have an amazing view from the breakfast room, but only two or three tables get to enjoy the view from the windows.
The front desk staff is quite helpful and sits down with you as soon as you arrive to explain the lay of the land and offer suggestions of what to do and where to go.
The parking lot for the hotel is tiny and down a very steep hill-I would not recommend keeping a car here! There is a car park a little bit up the street that is much easier to get and out of, but even that being said, I wouldn't recommend renting a car in Taormina-the roads are extremely difficult to navigate!! We returned from a day trip to the wine country at dusk and we spent two hours driving around trying to return to the hotel (some roads are pedestrian only, some are one way and there are no signs!)
Bottom line: Expensive for not having a view of this beautiful area, but I would consider staying here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Villa Belvedere is a delightful and romantic boutique hotel situated at 5 minutes walking from the center of Taormina. It is an ideal hotel for couples who are looking for a charm and relaxing oasis surrounded by a lovely garden always in bloom. With an amazing view of "Baia di Naxos" and the mount Etna Villa Belvedere its a perfect location for your Sicilian holidays. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and HRS so you can book your Hotel Villa Belvedere reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Belvedere Hotel Taormina
- Hotel Belvedere Taormina
- Hotel Villa Belvedere Taormina, Sicily