We stayed here for 6 nights after spending 4 nights in Palermo. The hotel is small & with limited facilities but it is described as a "Pensione" so this is to be expected. The rooms and all areas are extremely clean, the staff are very helpful and attempt to help whenever asked. Nothing seems too much trouble for them. The breakfast was very good and can be taken sitting in t5he garden are which is very pleasant and shaded by palm trees and other foliage. We had a room with a sea view which was very nice to look out on. We had a tiny balcony which just and no more took two chairs and a very small table. However we were unable to use it because there were two nests of house-martins immediately above it and the chairs were covered in bird droppings ! The delight of seeing these amazing birds at such close quarters more than made up for the inconvenience and I am so pleased that the hotel leave these nests alone.
The room itself was adequate, no more than that. It was quite small and we did not like the sliding door with a glass panel that lead to the bathroom. The door was very noisy when opened and closed and I cannot understand why there was a need for a glass panel. The shower worked well but was on the small side. Toiletries were replenished on a daily basis & the room and bathroom were kept very clean. We were on the first floor and although we are reasonably fit we would not have liked to have been on the higher floors because, as mentioned in many reviews, there isn't a lift. This creates a noise problem as guest pull their cases from step to step and create a lot of noise. There is a lot of noise from adjacent rooms particularly when toilets are flushed and as there are no slow closure mechanisms on the room doors there is a lot of door slamming from inconsiderate guest.
The location of the hotel is very good with the main bus station being about 50 metres down the hill and the centre of Taormina a 5 to 10 minute walk away. One reviewer described it as being "literally across the road" but it is in fact a bit of a drag up quite a steep hill and could be a problem for anyone with mobility difficulties.
The prices in the hotel for drinks are very good and considerably cheaper than most places in the town.
Briefly moving on to the resort of Taormina.....it is very beautiful but expensive to the point of being a rip off in some cases. There are numerous places to eat and have a drink but be a bit careful as some can be double the price of others for what appears to be very similar food. Just to give one example, the popular drink Limoncello ranged in price from €2 to €11.5 for a small glass and the expensive one was in a fairly ordinary looking bar.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Pensione Svizzera is a small charming hotel ideally located in Via Pirandello, the most central panoramic road of Taormina, where you'll find yourself. Only 4 minutes walk from the city centre and Corso Umberto, Taormina's main drag next to the cable-car that brings down to Mazzaro, Taormina's most popular beach, as well as to the busterminal leading to the white-sandy beaches in the surroundings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HRS so you can book your Hotel La Pensione Svizzera reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Pensione Svizzera Taormina
- La Pensione Svizzera Hotel Taormina
- Hotel La Pensione Svizzera Taormina, Sicily