“Mt Etna and Taormina”

Taormina Tourist Service - Tours
Ranked #8 of 34 Tours in Taormina
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover with me the historical centre of Taormina. We will take a walk and I will tell you anything about the main monuments of this lovely spot but also about Sicily and its long history and the customs of its inhabitants. I will also let you know everything about the Mount Etna, the view of which made Taormina so popular. Just come and I will be glad to show you other sites, provide new historical, social cultural perspective, and if you wish, highlight local food and wine as well.
san francisco
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Mt Etna and Taormina”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Our group was made up of 7 seniors in 80s and 90s and one in her 50s. We carried a wheel chair with us. Chiara picked us up at the pier and we drove to Mt. Etna, along the way, she gave us treasure trove of information, not only about Mt. Etna, also its difference from other types of volcanoes. We then went to Taormina for lunch. Chiara recommended a local restaurant, great service, some dishes were good, some so-so. I thought the price was a bit high but the most important thing is she planned ahead, we didn't have to worry about where to go. After lunch, she ordered taxi to take part of the group to Roman Theatre and some of us strolled with her to the theatre. She bought the tickets ahead of time so we did not have to wait in line. The walk through the ruins was difficult for some in our group but her talk was again informative and full of interesting stories. I am most impressed with her planning ahead and took the initiatives to make appropriate decisions. I will go back to Sicily with other friends and I will definitely hire Chiara to take us around.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Cathy L
ChiaraRozzi, Owner at Taormina Tourist Service - Tours, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Glad that you brought a nice memory of your short visit on Sicily back home...!
Sorry for the work in progress during the visit of the Greek-Roman theatre, I know that for some of you it was a long day...
Hope to see you soon with more time at disposal, maybe during a longer holiday on this beautiful island...!

• Greek first
Seattle, WA
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Plenty of Tourist Traps, but Still Fantastic”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Returning to Sicily, we headed next to the famous town of Taormina, a mountaintop tourist trap high above the Mediterranean Sea. But tourist traps are popular for a reason and the site was indeed spectacular and the seasonal hordes were still at sufferable levels. I had picked up a tiny bit of Italian over the week and I used it when I went to buy a ticket to visit the ruins of the Greek theater. “Ciao, Bella!” I said the old crone at the ticket window as I passed my seven Euros through the opening. She looked at me with a toothless grin and rang up a receipt for zero. “Grati,” she said (Free). Surely, I had charmed the old girl, since she could not possible have mistaken me for 65 years old, at which age admission is indeed free for all. The greek theater was amazing, with spectaculur views of the coast and of Mt Etna.

We elected not to hike to Castelmara, a town above Taormina perched atop a mountain like the head of a pin that looked like it should be occupied by flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz. We headed instead for the snow-covered lodge on the eastern flank of Mt. Etna. The roads were still dusted with ash from the eruption three days ago, but the lava flows had been limited to the south side of the mountain.

Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing knowledge of history”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife and I initially went on a tour of Taormina with Chiara, including a visit to the Teatro Greco, and were so impressed we later hired her to take us round the Villa Romana del Casale in Piazza Armerina (where she is one of a number of fully accredited guides).

Chiara is obviously passionate about the history and culture of Sicily, and it really comes across in her enthusiastic explanations of even the smallest details. We took the tour of Taormina on our first day in Sicily, and from that got a real feel for the place that certainly enhanced our enjoyment of the town over the following days. As for our trip to Piazza Armerina (following which we took a short detour on the way home to Enna), Chiara was happy to drive us in our hire car all the way from Taormina and still had the energy to take us round and explain every single one of the beautiful mosaics on display.

The fact that Chiara was able to impart all this amazing knowledge in what is not even her "second" language (Chiara is first and foremost an excellent German speaker, and also offers tours in French and Spanish) was extremely impressive. She clearly enjoys speaking foreign languages, and made lots of effort to learn new things while she was with us to ensure she is able to communicate every detail to her clients.

All in all, we found her not only a thorough and informative host, but also a delight to be with during the day and a half we had with her.

Visited April 2013
ChiaraRozzi, Manager at Taormina Tourist Service - Tours, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear family Whitaker,

it is exactly thank to guests like you that after 25 years I still enjoy my job and have fun with it...!
I will try to do my best to keep on learning, in order to have new and hopefully interesting things to tell in the future...!

Best wishes
Siena, Italy
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Chiara Knows Taormina and More”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We hired Chiara for a tour of the Teatro Greco in Taormina. She insisted meeting us in town to give us additional history of the town as well. She exceeded our expectations as a guide, we were amazed at her vast knowledge and ability to communicate the history in an almost story like way, which was easy for us to understand and appreciate. We are native English speakers, and her grasp of the English language amazed us. I would hire her as a guide again, when we return.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank debinitaly5
ChiaraRozzi, Owner at Taormina Tourist Service - Tours, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your gratifying words. I am looking forward to guiding your next group soon...!
Kind regards
Lafayette, California
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Chiara is fabulous”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Our small group went to Sicily for the first time together on a cruise. Chiara was our guide and she was fabulous. Originally from the North of Italy - she is well educated and has done much homework to understand Sicily, its ancestry, culture and current status. We learned so much and saw the coastline and the volcano - from current state to centuries past and Chiara added value at every point along the way. She provided color commentary from BC to AD and included recent events - even recent politics that we would enjoy. The driver was spectacular as well - we felt safe at all times and he had some of the hairiest turns I've ever seen. I highly recommend Chiara - she is a student of her current surroundings, understands Italian politics - and you should take her to lunch - that was my favorite ... she lets her hair down a bit.

Grazie mille Chiara - we wish you and your girls the best! Walt, Mary, Sheila and Ray

Visited November 2012
ChiaraRozzi, Owner at Taormina Tourist Service - Tours, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
I remember very well our lunch in Taormina !
It was so different for me to have the chance to express my personal opinions and hopes about this land to foreign people....! By the way, the change is coming really...! Thank you so much for your compliments, it was a pleasure guiding your group...!