“Simple, inexpensive lunch--great canoli”
Review of Shaker Bar

Shaker Bar
Ranked #6 of 6 Coffee & Tea in Taormina
Cuisines: Italian, Bar, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Boerne, Texas
“Simple, inexpensive lunch--great canoli”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stopped here after looking at several other cafes that were far more expensive and offered a lot more food than we wanted. We sat inside at one of 4 or 5 tables, there were more table outside but they were all occupied by a large cruise tour group. We ordered a ham/cheese panini, slice of Margherita pizza and a coke--cold and refreshing, first Coke we'd had in a while. The pizza was good, with a crispy crust and tangy sauce, with just enough cheese. The panini was excellent. Maybe this is microwaved food but it didn't seem like it--both items were fresh tasting and crisp, not soggy like microwaved food usually is. I thought the service was very good, not overbearing but they came to the table at all the right times. For dessert I had been eyeing the canoli in the bakery case, and was devastated when a shopper came in and bought the last one. I asked the man behind the counter if they had any more and he said, sit I make you one. So while I sat at the table, he took the canoli shell/tube and filled it with sweet, creamy ricotta filling, and brought it over to me. My husband didn't think he liked canoli but after he saw mine he had to have a taste and he was hooked. The canoli shell is something like a waffle cone but crisper and sweeter, the filling sweet, smooth and slightly chilled. There are plenty of canoli stands throughout Taormina where they will fill the shell with your choice of gelato--bet that's good, with two of my favorite tastes combined in one decadent treat. As we prepared to leave, they brought us a couple of things to taste--their almond granita and a strawberry granita. Both are like soft but very intensely flavored Italian ices. It was ok but give me gelato any day. Our experience at Shaker Bar was very positive--it wasn't the best meal we've ever had but it was more than sufficient for what we needed on that day.

• Visited May 2014

• Polish first
Brasilia, DF
“Cosy place with good food and a gorgeous ceiling”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

When we finished our visit to the Greek Amphitheatre, we were hungry but the restaurants weren't yet open for dinner.
At the Shaker Bar we had very good dishes with wine. A young man called Marco waited on us most friendly.
At the end, he kindly offered us a glass of wine aromatized with almond (vino de mandorle) and Sicilian lemon water ice (granita al limone), two delightful Sicilian specialties.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Celestefaisk
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Rip Off”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We had a drink there and spent 8 euros. I gave the waiter a 50 Euro note and after a while he came back with 2 Euros change. I told him I gave him 50, but he said I gave him only 10 euros.
I was sure I only had 2 50 Euro notes in my wallet, so I protested loudly. Then 2 men who had been sitting a few metres away, came to the waiter's aid and told me they had seen me handing over a 10 Euro note. Yeah, right. It was all a set up! I went to the police station next door to complain and lay charges. Off course the waiter denied the charge and the owner of the cafe said he had witnesses. I had my partner as a witness, but the criminals know the tourists can't do anything, because if you lay charges in Italy you have to appear in court in about 3 months time or hire a lawyer. Don't go there. They are rip off artists. I add a photo of the waiter who ripped me off.

• Visited October 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Microwaved food”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Over priced food and so were the drinks however the service is very good. However, obviously, they serve you terrible food

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank IamtheonlyDave
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
“Nice spot for a break”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

On a roasting hot day in Taormina, we wanted some shade and a cold drink. We were beckoned in by the head waiter of the Shaker Bar, and sat on one of the undercover tables by the square. We had a nice cold Coke, and a traditional lemon granita. Nice location in this beautiful town for a rest stop, and just what we needed.

The service was prompt and friendly. We never ate there, so can't comment on the food. Recommended for a coffee or a cold drink if you are in Taormina.

• Visited June 2013