“By far the BEST experience!”
Review of Continente Sicilia

Continente Sicilia
Ranked #1 of 36 Tours in Taormina
More attraction details
Owner description: Custom Made Nature Trips to Etna, Alcantara, Nebrodi, Madonie, Eolian Islands ... and more sicilian Gems!Guided Nature Expeditions ... and spectacular night excursions to view one of nature’s most extraordinary phenomena ... The Volcanic Eruption!Gastronomic Tours to get a taste of sicilian wine and delicacies.Local Artisan Crafts.
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My husband and I had planned our vacation to Sicily for this past July. When we read all the positive feedback on Continente Sicilia we did no hesitate to contact Davide in order to book a full-day excursion to the top of Mt. Etna. Davide was prompt in his replies and provided us with various options for excursions not only to Mt. Etna but the surrounding areas. We could not be happier with our experience as Davide made our trip one of the best ever! He is passionate about Sicily and it shows in all he does. His knowledge of Mt. Etna was unmatched and he made our tour personable and exciting! We enjoyed breathtaking views of Mt. Etna and the caters of past, explored a lava tub and lava flow which was quite remarkable and ended the day with a wonderful wine tasting and hike at the Alcantara Gorge. We even met a friendly snake on our journey!

Davide made us feel in capable hands from his first email. We not only coordinated our Mt. Etna excursion, but we also planned another day trip to the surrounding areas of Messina and Savoca which was delightful as well - especially the monestary in Savoca!

If you are planning a trip to Sicily and read this review - do yourself a favor and contact Davide...you won't regret it!

4  Thank MessinaHood
"walking shoes"
"wine tasting"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed July 24, 2012

Thanks to the Tripadvisor suggestions, we have contacted Davide for one day excursion on the Etna volcano. Fantastic experience: interesting, enjoyable and intriguing. We are so glad of not having fallen into the trap of the touristic coach fully organized excursion. What we liked most is the ability of Davide to adapt the program to the wishes and preference of the participants. What to add? With more Davide around, Italy would be a far better place for tourists...

6  Thank FFelixxs4
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We booked a day tour of Mount Etna with Continente Sicilia this July (2012).

Davide was a fantastic guide. He is polite, friendly, extremely knowledgeable, enthusiastic and fun! He knows the area so well, and takes you to parts of the mountain that are away from the crowds. He clearly cares a lot about Sicily, his home, and that enthusiasm shows through as he guides you.

I would definitely recommend Davide to anyone thinking of travelling to Etna and the surrounding area.

One note to mention. When I booked, I was under the impression that the tour would be a private one. I guess this is just my misunderstanding, and besides the couple we travelled with were very nice! It's worth checking though.

Thanks Davide! Hope to see you again,

Ed and Katharine

5  Thank Edward A
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We booked a full day trip with Davide of Continent Sicilia (in the second week of May 2012) to tour Mt. Etna and various areas surrounding the volcano. First off, Davide was very responsive over email, and quickly replied to requests for pricing and information - it was an easy trip to schedule. His english is also excellent, making it very easy to communicate with him. The next thing that I really liked was that he offered to pick us up at our B&B, which was very helpful for us because we were staying in Taormina (which is not close to the southern access point for Mt. Etna), and we didn't have a rental car. Davide was on time with the pick up, and shared lots of great information about Italian culture, Sicilian culture (and the differences between the two), answered questions about the surrounding region, and talked about Mt. Etna and some of the history of its eruptions. Also, it was nice to be driven around in his SUV all day which was quite spacious and comfortable. On the way to the mountain, we stopped at a local grocery store to pick up some tasty sandwiches and fruit, which we would later eat for lunch.

The tour itself was spectacular, and was certainly one of the highlights of our month-long trip to Italy. From the southern access point, we took the gondola up to the top, and then boarded buses that took us all the way up to 2900 metres! As we ascended the mountain, Davide was excellent at pointing out various features of the landscape, lava flow formations, and discussing the history of the various eruptions. It was at this stage of the trip that Davide's passion for the mountain really started to show - you could tell how excited he was to tell us the volcano's history, and share as much info as he could. His intrinsic interest in the subject really added to the experience.

After making the ascent up the southern face, we came down the gondola and had a great lunch at a lower level crater, near the gondola access and the main parking area.

We then took a drive down and around the mountain, to the northern access point. From there we climbed the mountain again, and parked at a refuge before setting off on a hike. As we hiked, Davide was great at pointing out various types of vegetation, flowers and plants. At this point we learned that he had been a park ranger at Isola Bella in Taormina for 7 years, and much of his knowledge of the local natural environment began to show. Eventually we found an access point to an underground cave which we explored - it was absolutely incredible, had never done anything like it. Hard to describe, but you squirm into an access point at what looks like a rock wall. Then you start hiking down into the earth, inside of a tube in which lava had flown in a previous eruption. Just incredible.

We eventually hiked back to the refuge, and by this time it was around 7pm. Davide had said he would take us to the Alcantara Gorge as well, but earlier in the day the gondola had broken and we had to wait to descend the southern face of Mt. Etna - this had delayed the afternoon portion of our trip. Despite the fact he was sick, and I'm sure hungry and tired, he still wanted to take us to the gorge. One of the other tourists in our group wanted to go home to eat dinner, saying she was very satisfied with the trip but just very tired, and so Davide took us home. I appreciated that he still wanted to honour his original commitment to go to Alcantara, even though it was late.

On the way home, Davide answered as many more questions about other interesting places to visit in Sicily.

I ended up giving him a 50 euro tip, because my wife and I were so happy with the day. So much information, and Davide was so friendly and helpful. We saw so much, and I am so grateful we booked with him. I would HIGHLY recommend him to other tourists, especially english speakers. Truly first class, and professional.

7  Thank Tim J