“An Oasis of serenity amongst the bustle of Taormina”

Metropole Taormina - Maison d'Hotes
Ranked #114 of 304 Restaurants in Taormina
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Have disembarked our cruise ship in Messina and driven the 45 mins to Taormina, the views certainly didn't disappoint, however the touristic nature of this village with gift shop after gift shop soon becomes tiresome. About half way along the main street, just before the arch lies the Metropole Hotel, and oasis of calm and serenity with a Michelin starred restaurant to boot the views from the terrace are stunning, over the beaches and surrounding coast line below. The staff are friendly and courteous (unlike the other 'luxury' hotel near the roman ruins), despite our t-shirts and shorts they couldn't be more welcoming. The lunch menu was simple and well presented, the wine list as you would expect is prolific and unless you are an expert in Sicilian wines I would let the waiters choose for you.
The experience doesn't come cheap but the view and serenity are worth it.

Reviewed May 19, 2012

Loved this hotel! Fantastic service, central, safe and very elegant, without being stuffy.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

We spent 3 days in Taormina last September for our honeymoon. We decided to have an evening meal somewhere extravagant, that would be special and something to remember.

The Metropole offers a beautiful setting for a romantic meal, the restaurant is with stunning views of the bay and the styling is luxurious yet comfortable. However we felt very disapointed with the food and were expecting so much more taste and flair especially as we were paying quite a lot of money for the experience. Our food was bland and in comparison to the evening meal we had at our hotel (Villa Carlotta) it didn't compare in our opinion.

Although our waiter offered excellent table service we found him to be cold and unfriendly. Even after we explained politely to him that we do not speak Italian he continued to speak in Italian as well as English which felt like he was doing it to make us feel uncomfortable rather that him being unable to converse in English (which he did perfectly well with other customers)

We would definately not return.

2  Thank WishyWoo
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I was very disappointed by my experience at this seemingly extravagant restaurant. My husband and I decided to try it because we had heard that it was run by a renown chef that had been awarded a Michelin star, but the food we received was far from noteworthy. We both ordered the fish menu, which consisted of 7 plates, none of which I particularly enjoyed. As an out of menu apetizer, they brought us a small serving of tiny raw fish (neonata in italian) which was fresh but tastless. This was followed by the apetizer forseen by the fish menu, which consisted of two raw shrimp from Mazzara, which are famous for their rich flavor, on a bed of mixed greens lacking dressing. Next we tasted a chickpea soup with four clams, and though the clams were fresh, the chickpea soup was extremely bland. A portion of cod-filled tortellini on a bed of basil pesto followed, which further disappointed for the basil pesto completely overwhelmed the delicate fish flavor, ruining the uniquness of the tortellini. Next we received a tuna filet with vegetables, which was dry, unseasoned and utterly insipid. We terminated our meal with two deserts, as forseen by the pre-established meny that we had chosen: first a cup of vanilla ice cream with wild berries which was good, but nothing that I can't buy at a supermarket and arrange at home. Lastly, lemon sorbet with two small hand-made riccota-filled cannoli which I unfortunately did not like because I found the ricotta to be too bitter in comparison to the ricotta that is usually served with cannoli in the typical sicilian pastries.
Though I ate just fine, I still remain very disappointed by the lack of creativity and novel combinations, especially considering the prices and the expectations that such a luxurious hotel ineluctably creates in one's mind. I have personally eaten the same food at a much more affordable price in many other Sicilian restaurants. The only part worth defending was the special five star service consisting in exceptional elegance and courtesy on behalf of the staff and the beautiful view. The latter, however, was not very visibile at night, so I reccomend going for lunch if you are willing to squander your money on mediocre food.

5  Thank Kitkat865
Reviewed January 25, 2012

The outside patio with heat lamps, couches and comfy table and chairs that make taking in the unobstructed bay views from the Taromina hillside make this place a find and must visit location.

No bad wines served here and each bottle comes with an array of appetizers (free) to include olives, fresh fish, nuts, and Italian meats all bite size and meant for sharing. Not to mention it makes you more thirsty for more wine. The view alone is worth the visit. Menu otherwise is fairly pricey but the selection sounded scrumptious. Wish I stayed to try them but the group chose elsewhere (cheaper).