“Unpleasant experience”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We usually avoid touristy places such as this, but it was late, we were very hungry, so in we went. It was a mistake. The restaurant is well located, with a lovely veranda and great views. The food was reasonable, although certainly not prepared from scratch. Fair enough, we weren't expecting a gourmet experience. When the bill came, we noticed that the "coperta", that irritating gimmick to fleece tourists, was added to the total despite the fact that we had send away their sad looking bread and whatever else accompanied it. When I questioned the charge (4 Euros), the explanation given was the cost for "the use of napkins and cutlery". After raising a fuss, the manager removed the charge, but not in good will. We left the restaurant under his and the waiter's mumblings, and as a Portuguese speaker I understood the gist of their words: certainly not a message of friendliness. That was our only bad experience in Sicily, and hope other hungry travelers don't make the same mistake.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

We booked the night before for this restaurant for our last night, and specifically were promised a table at the edge of the terrace overlooking the bay, which was our reason for choosing the restaurant in the first place. We were given a table one row in which meant the only view was of the sky. Our starter came quickly and was nice enough - sort of italian cheese on toast. Our pizzas were the worst pizzas I have ever eaten in any country - our local pizza express would have been ashamed of them. It appeared that the bases had been cooked in advance, and the toppings slapped on top - only partially covering the base, and then 10 seconds in the oven to warm them up. By the time I was a quarter through my pizza, the cheese had resolidified into shoe leather. The staff with one exception never smiled, and the maitre d and one of the waiters seemed to continually slightly disagree about everything. We had to ask twice for a second glass of wine, and by the time we had soldiered our way through the pizza we were not inclined to stay for desert. Overall the worst experience we had in two weeks in Taormina. Maybe we were unlucky but no-one seemed to stay long. Also the terrace is partially covered so when people were smoking it was quite obtrusive.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Excellent restaurant in Taormina centre very close to Piazza Duomo. Starters are very good and the quantities are big. Do not miss the "lasagna alla norma"! it's made with lasagna pasta , aubergines, tomato sauce, basil, sicilian "ricotta infornata" cheese.. really delicious! I had the dinner with friends and we were sitting on a terrace with a nice sight on the sea below..
I will come back to Cisterna del Moro next time!

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Enjoyed a really delicious pizza on the terrace here one evening - a Caprese with black olives and uncooked mozzarella - YUM. Cheerful, energetic service, a really lovely terrace and a nice busy atmosphere. Reasonably priced as I recall - I'd go back!

Reviewed July 19, 2012

We went there just before it got crowded around 7:30 pm. First we started with bruschettas which would taste better if you would prepare them yourself. Then I had vegetarian lasagna which were ok but a bit to oily and my boyfriend had very watery canelonis. For those meals plus 2 sodas we payed 40 EUR which we found overpriced for that quality. The view from the terrace is very beautiful.