“Perfect Location and Fantastic Service”
Review of Panoramic Hotel

Panoramic Hotel
Ranked #11 of 87 Hotels in Taormina
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Not long come back from an amazing stay at the Panoramic Hotel. From start to finish it was absolutely fantastic. I drove from Catania Airport (not taking the easy route) and so was very relieved to arrive at the hotel to find that they will park the car for you and get it out when required if you give them 5 minutes notice.

The reception staff for most of our visit was Antonio. He was incredibly helpful for the whole trip, even giving advice on the best time to visit Etna and drawing out detailed directions for you. As part of our stay we had a free bottle of Prosecco which we opted to have by the pool. Nothing appeared to be too much trouble.

We were staying in the family suite on the first floor of the hotel. This include a huge double bed, two bathrooms and a sofa bed (which I slept on), which was more comfortable than many normal hotel beds I have slept on. It also had two balconys overlooking the sea.

The breakfast was lovely, with lots of choice of juices, breads, cakes, croissants, fruits, hams, cheeses etc... and you take this on the terrace overlooking the sea. The pool is at the top of the hotel with plenty of loungers (so no fighting for space), which again has a fantastic view over the sea. During the day you can order food which will be brought to you by the very helpful staff (I will make particular mention to Gabriele who was helpful and polite throughout our whole trip).

Opposite the hotel is two fantastic restaurants - both with a very good menu and again looking over the sea. A short walk down some steps takes you to the beach and a short walk to the left of the hotel takes you to the cable car up to Taormina, with a wealth of shops and restaurants as well as the lovely Roman-Greek Theatre. (this is 3 euros each way and it's best to have coins).

Overall I couldn't fault this hotel and would love to one day return. It is safe to say none of us wanted to leave!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We'll be sadly checking out of the Panoramic Hotel tomorrow and have been very pleased with every aspect of our stay. The view is amazing, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. The breakfast comes with the room price, is delicious, and served on a gorgeous outside terrace. The rooms are simple but very clean. One English TV station would be nice for winding down at night, but as I am in Italy, I certainly can't fault them for that. You won't be disaapointed!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelchick_ma
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Our friends recommended this hotel and we were not disappointed.
The hotel is right across from Isole Bella ...and the beach.
We have a car...so easy parking is a must...and they Valet for you....
So,perfect after a day of hectic driving around Sicily.
The cable car to Taormina is a 5 min walk...couldn't be easier.
Pietro and Antonio at the front desk were superb!!!!!!!!!
All there suggestions were right on.....
We stayed in a suite ...so we had lots of room, showers were great, beds hard( but that's Italy),
Street is noisy in the AM if you sleep with window open(not me) and a wonderful rooftop pool.
I would stay here again

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Just returned from 10 days of understated excellence at the Hotel Panoramic.
From the welcome to the leaving all the staff did their best to help you enjoy your stay .

The rooms were very clean and very comfortable, some traffic noise in the morning but with the sliding patio doors shut sleep was not affected.

The view is superb from every room and the breakfast included was everything you could wish for. The fine location of the hotel made the beach and the town very easy to access.

Taormina is such a delight to visit,Hotel Panoramic a great choice for your stay.

Room Tip: Try and book 3rd floor rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank antoine1946
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I travelled to Sicily with two friends - all of us 20s/30s. After an interesting drive to the hotel (watch out for the crazy, bordering on idiotic/suicidal, motorcyclists and the odd parked car (woops)) we were welcomed to the hotel by a fabulous team of friendly and helpful staff.

This hotel is superb! We had the family room which is massive and has two large balconies with a face on view of Isola Bella. I have never had such a view! The room has 2 bathrooms one of which my friend described as the 'Crystal Maze' because it was huge. The rooms have air con, adequate storage and a safe. There is a mini bar which was not too expensive but we did not use it. The cleaners did an excellent job every day.

There is a rooftop pool with views and plenty of comfortable loungers. There is also another level with loungers, tables and a bar where the views are again stunning. The area is exceptional and clean. It is serviced by Gabrielle who was very helpful, eager to please and cute! We loved him!

We did order drinks and food by the pool which was well presented and tasty. The prices are reasonable and the portions generous - we tried the bruschetta and parma ham which was very good value. Each day they offered a special with a drink for between 6 to 10 euros. We had a complimentary bottle of Prosecco served by the pool!

Breakfast was great with eating areas overlooking the bay. The usual banquet that hotels tend to serve but I thought that overall it was of a better quality, especially the croissants. Gabrielle again appeared and was very cheery when he brought our coffees.

As the location was so good (and the prospect of driving the hire car not so desirable) we did spend quite a lot of our time by the pool and down on the beach because it was so nice and relaxing.

The beach around Isola Bella is a stone beach so you need good footwear for a walk. I had aqua shoes when I went into the sea which were useful. The sea was warm, clear and clean. I am a keen snorkeler and did so a couple of times - the problem is I am a bit of a wimp and upon seeing one (very tiny) jellyfish I got out immediately (my friend was like a rocket out of the water)! No one else seemed bothered and I certainly wouldn't want to put anyone off going in because I did not see anyone get stung and as said it was only one that I saw, which I suppose it not unusual because there is a lot of marine live there. The only other comment would be that you need to be able to walk up a lot of steps for this beach as that is the only way back up - if you can do it though you really must check it out because it's worth it. You can sit on the rocks or hire a lounger for 5 euros. There is a good snack bar/restaurant on the beach.

There are plenty of restaurants in the area of the hotel. In fact directly opposite are 2 that we tried (one is Michelin Rated) and they were fabulous!! We tried fish, sides and pasta dishes without complaint. The views are again great. Next to the hotel is a bar and gelateria (I think it was the best ice cream I had actually) along with a few shops (beach stuff, wine, water).

The guys at the hotel park the car for you in the car park (which is like jigsaw lol) and get it out for you on 5 minutes notice (thankfully!) so that was all stress free. The cable car is a 5 minute walk and at this time of the year runs until 1 am. It is 3 euros each way or 10 per day for unlimited access.

We travelled up to the upper town of Taormina several times. It is a typically winding and quaint Italian town. There are plenty of shops and good views including a good one of Mount Etna from the main square. I think that the back streets are best for a meal.There are what seemed like hundreds of restaurants, pastry shops and ice cream sellers to choose from. We tried a bit of everything - on the holiday we didn't have a bad meal. I don't think that was luck. I've seen a lot of Italy and the food generally is of a better quality (and portion size) here. I also found the people to be friendlier. You will find all nationalities here from Aussies, Americans to Europeans.

The amphitheatre is worth a visit but I would go in the early evening because it is very exposed and therefore bloody hot. It closes 1 hour before sunset. The opportunity to take in the views is overwhelming and it is great for people watching. We were there for about 1 hr 30 minutes taking photos which is more than enough time unless maybe you take a picnic etc... Good footwear is a must.

We did the trip to Mount Etna on our own steam. I was the designated driver and it went without incident thanks to the directions and maps provided by Antonio at the Panoramic who was also friendly and rather handsome. He also lived near Etna and said he would tell us if it was worth going on the day because cloud cover ruins it. Antonio will sort out any questions or problems that you have with urgency.

The drive is about 1 hour from the hotel and the roads were very quiet. The road up is like a race track, narrow with sharp blind bends. I took out a fair amount of vegetation along the way up and encountered about 70 goats crossing the road on the way down ;-) You pay a few euros to park and then 57 to go up all inclusive. The cable car was not working when we went so the queues were horrendous. The Americans, British and Germans were queuing but the rest of the Europeans were a complete bloody nightmare (although it gave us a good laugh). There was no concept of personal space!

Mt. Etna did not disappoint. They aren't joking about the temperatures though it was 30 degrees on the ground but I had 2 hoodies, gloves and a bandana on and I needed it. I wore proper walking boots with ski sock which again I recommend. We were in luck as it was a clear day - I loved it! It was very windy when we went so if children go you need to keep a hold of them. It would also be quite easy to slip so anyone who is a bit unsteady needs to be careful because there are no railings etc around the craters. The websites recommend warm clothing and decent footwear but if you are going I recommend wrap around sunglasses or even goggles because the ash ended up in all of our eyes as we only wore normal sunglasses. You can grab a snack up at the top; first base and the bottom. The key with this trip is only go on a clear day otherwise it will be spoilt. We were very lucky - as wee went on our own steam we were able to choose the day on the morning with the added assurance from Antonio.

Overall an amazing holiday, fabulous hotel and great place to visit! If you go to Taormina make sure you stay at the Panoramic Hotel otherwise you will be missing out!

Room Tip: Book the family room on the first floor!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank SazBowen
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

The hotel has nice clean rooms best of all each room comes with a balcony with a view of the beautiful isola bella. It is also conveniently very close to the funicular and an abundance of good restaurants....wat realllllly sets this place apart is the staff they are amazingly friendly nd helpful a 5 star service for sure! They even helped me suprise my gf for her bday. Thank you so much for your hospitality.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Just spent 10 fabulous days in this beautiful hotel. All staff in this hotel makes your stay a relaxing one. Service is great and great personalities from the hotel staff especially (Gabriele). This hotel has a magnificent view and is in a perfect location to beach and 5 min walk to cable car which brings you to Taormina. Spotless bedrooms with balcony and all rooms have a sea view. We were in room 201 and had an extra sitting area outside with 2 loungers which was perfect to sit out and share a bottle of wine. Breakfast was lovely but could be varied a little more. This hotel is a perfect hotel for a relaxing holiday..

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple