“Location better than service and food”
Review of Grand Duke

Grand Duke
Ranked #215 of 278 Restaurants in Taormina
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Tried to get a table one evening at eight but it was full. Booked the next day and got a table at the windows with beautiful view. Entrance from the bustling Corso Umberto but very nice and calm downstairs. The food was so-so. Meat better than seafood surprisingly enough. Recommended local wine good and not too expensive. Overall good but you could probably get better.

2  Thank aka130813

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Recommended to go here by local staff but a bit average. Pizza is a good size, order one to share I would recommend. Plenty of wasps around. Watched how they cook the pizzas which was ok. Other than that I think you could better on tripadvisor.

1  Thank centre600
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Gran Duca may be something of an institution in Taormina and was possibly something special in the 1950s but is very average now. They run an extremely slick operation with a large number of waiting staff, running around, but they are clearly geared to get diners in and out. The two Maitre d's were amusingly like caricatures of middle-aged Italian playboys, but were very brusque. The menu was hackneyed and the food and wine expensive. We felt under pressure to eat up and move on. The seating is in terraces overlooking the sea (indoor when we visited although i'm sure the windows open up) so I'm sure there's a great view but, if you want great food, visit L'Incontro instead.

1  Thank Lazzagear
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We took a day tour to Taomina and had some free time on our own in the afternoon. Our tour guide highly recommended this restaurant. It was a big mistake! Not only the food is below average the service was really lousy! It's a shame the restaurant is located right in the heart of the town with panoramic view in the open area in the back and a beautiful courtyard at the entry. The problem we first encountered was the maitre'd who was quite rude and the waitstaff unfriendly. When we arrived there were 4 empty tables by the window. We were told we could not have any of those tables because they were set for 4 people. Okay, then when I asked the waiter if he could provide us an extra chair for us to put my husband's pretty large camera equipment bag and my large shoulder bag and the big straw hat, he turned to look at the maitre'd and this guy rushed over and told us "no". He said I could put all that on the floor. How ridiculous when there is no one sitting next to us and all these chairs were available. We should have gotten up at that moment and left. Regret we didn't do that. The food was below average and expensive for the quality. AVOID THIS PLACE!

Reviewed July 19, 2010

Hello All, I was here on 26 June 2010 for a girlfriends birthday - group of 3 altogether.

First, correct spelling is GRANDUCA. We dined on a Saturday night and half the restaurant was set up for a wedding party. We booked for 8pm. We finally got our table by 9pm. At least we were offered a glass of champagne as we stood there like shags on a rock.

The food was EXCELLENT. I had the very typical Pasta Con Le Sarde, pasta with sardines. This is my favourite Sicilian dish and it was the best I had every eaten. I then ordered the stuffed sardines for main which were very good, but my friend ordered the char grilled swordfish roulards which were simply divine. I highly highly recommend this dish to you.

The problem is not the food, the restaurant was so overcrowded and the 5 waiters including the manager were hovering around our table trying to push us out as soon as we finished eating. This is not the experience you want for a friends birthday who is only in town for one night. Since that night I heard they have a very bad reputation even with the locals on high turnover movement of people esp on Saturday night. They dont want anyone relaxing and taking time when there is a queue of people out the door. Time and tables are money and you need to get out once you finish eating and they do not hide this fact!!

I suggest you only go here on say, Monday night or perhaps at lunch time when it is not busy and you can take your time. They do have the most glorious terrace overlooking the coastline down towards Giardini Naxos and it is very pleasant to sit there.

We had 2 courses each, entree and main, 1 bottle wine, 1 bottle water and 1 beer and bill was EUR129.

1  Thank YasmineinSydney