Al Saraceno
Ranked #11 of 279 Restaurants in Taormina
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The restaurant was recommended to us by the owner of our B&B nearby, and we weren't disappointed. We arrived in Taormina late in the evening, and stopped in for a pizza and a bottle of the house wine. We were happy to go back the next night; I had the risotto with pumpkin and sausage followed by the tuna with red onion. Both excellent!

The service was also very good, and the location in the hills overlooking Taormina is a great setting.

1  Thank AirMiles22
Write a ReviewReviews (1,324)

Reviewed September 13, 2012

My friend Prag and I had dinner here on 3 Aug 2012. Best to go up a bit before sunset so you can make the most of the truely spectacular views of Mt Etna and the Giardini-Naxos coastline. It was totally magic. Make sure you book early and request front row table.

The service here was very good. Can't fault it.

(1) I had Linguine con Ricci (pasta with sea urchins). This was good. It is one of my favourite dishes. They could have been a bit more generous with the sea urchins. EUR14 (Compared to Osteria Nero D'Avola - Nero D'Avola was much better and more generous - but no views at Nero D'Avola which is near the San Domenico Hotel)

(2) Then I had fresh (stuffed) sardines, breaded and served with cherry tomatoes. It was bit dry but OK. It needed the tomatoes to make it moist. I would not order that again. EUR15

(3) Prag had the "Groper Ravioli with Prawn Sauce". This was the WINNER. Tasted lovely. Generous serve. (gosh it's annoying when your companion orders a better meal than you ha ha) EUR15 from memory.

(4) Prag then had the Sea Bass with potato. It looked a bit dry and was a very small portion for EUR20. He said it was OK.

(5) We had quite a few drinks - nice house red wine at EUR5 a glass. No need to order the fancy stuff. It was very good by the glass. We had a couple of other drinks - limoncello and Amaretto etc. The total bill was EUR116 for 2.

It was definitely worth it for the VIEW. I would say the food is 7/10 (or just have a double serve of the groper ravioli and it would have been 9/10 ha ha)

(You can also order pizza here)

Yes, I would go back for the VIEW for sure but Osteria Nero D'Avola had much better food. I say try both ;-)

2  Thank YasmineinSydney
Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

We fancied a change from the town so walked up from Villa Angela. Food, service and wine were excellent. As I write this we've got 3 nights left in Sicily; one of those will be to eat here again. Far far better food than in the town.

1  Thank Jilllian
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We dined here four times during a week's holiday having went there the first night staying at Villa Angela - we liked it so much, we kept going back!

The food: excellent everytime, from pasta and pizza to fish and super desserts.

The view; as many have noted, fantastic - book ahead to make sure you get a table by the edge of the roof terrace and watch the sun go down and, if you're lucky, the red hue at the top of Etna!

Service; always greeted with a smile. Staff remmebered what you liked to drink - we came home with a bottle of their recommended Plumbago wine which we're keeping for a special occassion (or a really bad winter's night to remember Sicily by!).

Price; better than holiday Spain to be honest.

It was lovely to eat here, where the heat was not as oppressive in Taomina centre, where you were unrushed through your meal and where the food was routinely excellent.

Definately, top restaurant (in so many ways!) in Taormina

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Wow what a fab place to eat! The view, spectacular and the food amazing! During our two week holiday, we ate here most of the time. My husband tried most of the menu and loved all the sea food choices! If pizza is your thing, then they make the best in town! The kids loved them too! The steak I had was cooked exactly to order with a delicious peppered sauce. We were made so welcome by all the staff and owners which is why we returned so many times. Guarantee you will love this picturesque dining experience! Definitely return when back in Taormina!

1  Thank Sarah B