“Best hostel in Sicily”

LoLHostel Siracusa
Some nice place in
“Best hostel in Sicily”
Reviewed August 13, 2009

We stayed in this hostel for 2 nights. Everything has been newly renovated. Our room was really clean. There was a nice breakfest with fresh croissant, an stylish court yard, internet for 2 euros (3 USD) an hour and really friendly and helpfull staff. After one week in sicily and 5 different hotels: it was the cheapest but still the best place to stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 31, 2008

We were very impressed with this youth hostel. The staff were all very helpful, internet was great, people were great, room had AC, everything worked, cleanliness was great. It was a bit of a walk into Ortigia, but it was no problem for us at all. Generally this hostel is great!

• Liked — Most things
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
Reviewed September 15, 2008

Just to set the record straight, this stay totally exceeded my expectations of a hostel, and I've just put in some nitpicky things for those readers who would like to EVERYTHING about the place they'll be sleeping.

We stayed at lolhostel in May of this year. It is impeccably clean. You can walk around without flip flops and don't feel like you have to scrub your feet for an hour with steel wool. It is not fancy. There are no couples massages. There are no heart shaped hot tubs. The hand and bath towels feel like kitchen dish towels from Wal-Mart. But I was so happy to have towels. Not to mention sheets & blankets.

The best thing about our room was the shutters. These monstrous window shutters block out every particle of light. We were dead tired from traveling all day and night to get here (Philadelphia-New York-London-Palermo-Catania-Siracusa) and didn't wake up till noon the first 2 days. I guess that could be a bad thing if you want to do a lot of sightseeing, lol.

If, like me & my fiance, you are not a cool, rugged backpacker who can carry his life in a fanny pack, never fear, the hostel is right around the corner from the bus station.

Ortygia is totally walkable - like 10 minutes or so. The Archaeological Park is a little farther but still walkable. We are the most un-outdoorsy, adventurous people alive, and we did it.

At the front desk they have tour books you can borrow, they have internet for a euro or something, and you can buy a huge liter of water for a euro. Wonderfully convenient. Bring some 16oz plastic bottles in your suitcase, fill them from those huge bottles, and you'll save a mint. There's a couple of cafes next door for morning espresso.

Lastly, the downstairs is mostly under renovation, and if we ever get a chance to go back I can't wait to see what they've done. We won't be staying in a fancy hotel on our return trip--lolhostel is much more than adequate.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, convenience, friendliness
  • Disliked — Loved everything!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank demitassedream
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 18, 2008

travelled around sicily beginning of may.
lol hostel in siracusa probably best hostel ever stayed in. it's pretty new and we got to be the first people to stay in our room - which had an en-suite - fully equipped with linens, duvets, pillows, etc - even had a 'terrace-like roof-top to go out to. staff absolutely lovely and so helpful. on our day of dep where we had stay around all day to catch a bus in teh evening, it wasn't a problem to leave our stuff, hang around there - use the internet etc...would recommend anyone to stay - plus great rates & location - easy to walk over to ortigya - and price lowest we paid throughout our trip (apart from a campsite).

• Liked — staff & cleanliness of room
  • Disliked — lack of city maps
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Berlin
Reviewed May 9, 2008

We have been in Syracuse at the end of April 2008.
The city is delicious, small, safe and very lively at night (especially Ortigia), doubtlessly the best base if you want to visit East Sicily. To my taste much better than Taormina. People are more friendly and it is less expensive.
I would also suggest to avoid Catania (dirty and scaring, apart from Mount Etna that has to be visited).
Haven't seen Palermo but, as far as I could see, on the East coast Siracusa is the best if you love nature, history and nightlife and if you dislike places built to get money from tourists and want to discover the true Sicily and mingle with locals.
Good connection from Catania Airport. A bus every hour to Siracusa and it takes one hour to get there.
Once there we had the luck to meet a couple of nice Italian guys and they gave us a lift by car to the beach of Marcheza (or Marchesa?). The sea was incredibily clean and there was nobody around!
We also went to Fontanibianche and Vendicari, a natural reserve with the best beach I have ever seen in my life.
If you have time and if you love nature and swimming don't forget to go to Cavagrande and Pantalica and if you are fond of history visit the Archaeological Park with the greek theatre and the greek Museum (haven't seen anything similar even in Greece).
The hostel was great! The location is ok, as it is very close to the central station at a walking distance form Ortigia, the old town. For 18 eur per person you stay in a 4 bed dorm with bathroom and air conditioned, which is a bonus for a hostel.
Everything is brand new, beds, mattresses and linen are clean and comfortable, I loved the design, and the staff is more than friendly and hepful.
Internet connection was fast and costed 2 euro per hour, which is ok, as elsewhere we have found connection only for 3-4 euro per hour.
There is a free wifi connection in the hostel but we did not bring the laptop with us :(
Before discovering by chance this hostel, we had stayed in a bed and breakfast (nice room) but had to pay 60 eur per night in low season for a double room (we couldn't find any cheaper b&b in the whole town) and they did not have air conditioning and any internet connection!
The only disadvantage in lolhostel was that the kitchen area was closed for refurbishment, and they say the works will end around Sept 08, apparently they will make a big bar, which will make this place simply perfect.
Will definitely return in Siracusa and in LOL.
Greetz from Stephan

• Liked — Staff, Cleanliness, Design, Comfort
  • Disliked — no kitchen
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
North East, USA
Reviewed February 11, 2008

Although I would expect nothing less from any Sicilian, Johnny (the manager) and the front desk personnel here are absolutely the best people I met in 4 weeks in Europe. I stayed here with three friends. We had to travel to my family's hometown of Canicattini Bagni and stayed here only one night by sheer luck. I believe we slept in the first hostel beds ever available for rent (they were just completing renovations after a recent purchase)!!

They had rediculously clean rooms (around 20 Euros), hot water!, a fantastic location nearby the train station. For the price (it is such a short walk to ortigia, maybe 5-8 mins?) you cannot find a better spot unless you have family near by. I want to emphasize that it is near the train station but we never even heard any trains go by. It is on a quaint street and a good market is near by.

Johnny, after working all day, asked my friends and I if we wanted to join him for dinner and see the city... are you kidding me!? Where in America or would you possibly be escorted by a hotel manager to anywhere but to be shown your room? I had one of the best nights out of my trip, we are between 23-25 and had an absolute blast with the night life we found.

The staff all know the area extremely well and are keen to give advice when asked. All speak English quite well. If you're unsure of where to stay, you've just found your place, I put my name on it. I would suggest LoLhostel Siracusa to any age group (i haven't seen the hotel rooms but i'm sure they are very nice) or type of traveler. What a great city! Can't wait to visit the beautiful nearby beaches again. I would hate to come back here and find it is too busy to stay, but that is highly likely considering what you get for your dollar.

• Liked — the management, location, knowledge of staff, cleanliness, safety
  • Disliked — the place was brand new!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends