“Good stopover”

Ranked #44 of 75 Hotels in Syracuse
Brisbane, Australia
“Good stopover”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Hotel Como is perfectly located for a stopover for people travelling with public transport. It's opposite the station and just around the corner from the bus stop. The area around the station is very rundown and even though it might not necessarily be dangerous I would not like to walk around there alone at night in winter. But in summer it was fine. The hotel looks recently renovated and the room, though basic, was very comfortable. Although travelling alone I had a double room. The bed was perfect for me though the pillows were terrible. Service was courteous and very efficient. Breakfast was basic but adequate. I'd read reviews that mentioned the smell of cigarette smoke so when I booked I asked for a non-smoking room and it was fine.

It was about a 30 minute walk to the archeological area and 15-20 minutes to the start of Ortygia. If you are visiting Siracusa for a few days' holiday, I would definitely recommend staying on Ortygia as it's much nicer, but for what I wanted (one night stopover while travelling around Sicily by bus) it was perfect.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Neve97

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Malta
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Como Hotel is situated facing the train station and just round the corner of the Bus terminus. We travelled to this hotel from the airport by bus and on arriving, it was very convenient to find ourselves so near to the hotel. The hotel BADLY needs a facelift as from outside it looks awful. However once you get inside, there is ALOT of difference. The staff are all very nice and friendly. Our room and shower were very clean and we also had the airconditioner. We visited all places in Syracuse and Ortigia on foot. We could easily travel to Noto, Modica and Ragusa by buses from the terminus near the hotel. Breakfast was good and when we asked, they also kindly gave us some packed breakfast, as we had to leave the hotel early two times. On the whole it is VERY GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY. Though near railway station, no noise disturbed us as trains are not frequent.

Room Tip: We opted for a room on the ground floor as there is no lift to the first floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Travellover482013
Adelaide
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

If you don't like the smell of cigarette smoke this is not the hotel for you

I was upgraded because I asked for a non smoking room and the room I was shown stunk. It was also incredibly small for the length of time I was staying.

The next room, a non smoking room with ashtray, smelt not as bad and it was clean, comfortable, a three starred room but with a 5 star view of the sea and sunset. After a couple of days with window left open the smell went.

I was there for five nights, due to circumstances, and the staff are fantastic and surely the hotel deserves more stars for their friendly, helpful, considerate service. They made my stay and i enjoyed my time there because they helped me a lot with bookings to move on. There is a computer to use down stairs with free wifi and I had free wifi in my room.

However, the smoke smell, for me, was a put off but I do understand a lot of their clients are train drivers who have stop overs and smoke. Often the lobby was overwhelming with the smell and I don't understand how the staffs health is not protected.

Breakfast was adequate, croissant, coffee and cornflakes.

Location is good if u need to be near the bus and train station. It's a ten minute hike into Ortygia and that's a great place. It's a 20 min walk to the Roman ruins.

I feel like I am betraying the staff by only giving three stars but I think management needs to deal with the cigarette smoke .

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank huntinginthejungle
Bendigo, Australia
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Tripadvisor came through again with some good options. Hotel Como is very well located for train or bus travel, 2 and 4 minutes respectively. It is a simple, clean, friendly hotel. My single room was small, clean; it had a small clean bathroom and a good three-quarter sized bed. Good shower. Breakfast was simple, ample and good - nothing hot or heavy but what I needed to start the day. Wifi was reliable.

As in most things, it is the staff that make the difference. Davide and Vincenzo could not have been more helpful, friendly and competent. They simplified my stay enormously. Vincenzo wrote copious notes on my city map on options for sites, eateries and routes.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Barnsley
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was easy to find with ample on road parking being opposite the station. Friendly staff and nice big room with aircon and decent size bathroom with hairdryer. Good breakfast with fresh pastries and nice coffee. Only downside was a bad smell in the corridor, like smelly socks and old damp washing mixed with cabbage! It didn't affect the room fortunately. Some noise from traffic early in the morning. Not far to walk to Ortiga or to the Greco archeological site ( couple of miles on foot).

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Baarn, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This hotel is simply great. The staff is very helpful and friendly. Rooms are airconditioned and clean. Breakfast is also good, fresh croissants. This hotel is very good if you must catch an early train. Just cross the street and you are at the railwaystation. Only downside is that you must walk at least 10 minutes to get to the citycentre. And the rates are very affordable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank A.Brouwer
wirral,uk
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights,02/06/13 to 06/06/13. Although the hotel is in a neglected area of Syracuse it does not lack anything....breakfast is adequate,room very clean,bus terminal 5 minutes walk round the corner,opposite the railway station with its carpark.Only ten minutes walk to the old city of Ortigia and centre of the city.We must say a big thank you to the reception staff especially David,who went above the call of duty to sort out a situation for us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple