“Tranquil and awe inspiring”

Latomie dei Cappuccini
Ranked #38 of 121 things to do in Syracuse
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Tranquil and awe inspiring”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I visited this site on a Saturday morning, the only other people there were a small group of about 8 people with a guide. The quarry was originally worked by Athenian prisoners of war ca. 418BC, in the Middle Ages it became the property of the Franciscans who turned it into a garden. The site is extensive with huge caves (one of them is now a small theatre) where the limestone was quarried, it is extremely peaceful but also rather spooky. Opening times are limited (I think mornings only), it would be a great place to bring a picnic and a book.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Margaret A

Stockport, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Dreamlike”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I promised the guides I'd write a review of my visit in August 2013 - sorry it has taken this long.

I'd seen the Latomie from the Hotel Villa Politi which stands above what I will call the 'gardens'. I really wanted to have a closer look but it's rather hard to find the entrance, which is; turn left out of hotel and walk to roundabout. Then look left and find entrance opposite the petrol station. Ticket booth is inside entrance.

My wife and I were given a tour by a young man who said he didn't speak English but actually spoke easily enough for an informative tour. The gardens themselves are unlike anything I have seen. Like something from a picture book about another world. The history of the gardens is something you can learn about once you're there, but I would encourage anyone to visit and enjoy the lush green vegetation and strange vines hanging over caves and rock formations.

It's an unique attraction and one of the best things we saw in Syracuse.

Visited August 2013