We stayed for 2 nights in May as part of a Tauck Tour. The WiFi was included in our package and this worked in the foyer and lounge on the ground floor, we knew that it would not work in our room which was on the 4th floor.
As the elevator was small and slow we decided to use the grand marble staircase for walking up and down to our room. I accumulated many steps on my Fitbit doing this but not all people could cope with constantly climbing 8 large marble staircases. The breakfast room required going down the flights and going through an adjoining tunnel to the next building and then climbing more flights of stairs, so it was important to allow plenty of time (there was another elevator here too).
Our room had an excellent view of the water, however, in the bathroom, the shower was in the bath and there was just a plastic shower curtain. This would stick to you if you put it in the shower/bath, and, if you put it outside the bath the floor and toilet became covered in water. There was no drain in the floor, so we had to use numerous towels to clean up the flooding.
Also, the bath had a high side making it difficult to climb in and out of the bath safely.
We had difficulty flushing the toilet. It required force with the thumb in exactly the right place to make it work.
The staff were very good coping with keeping the bathroom in order and we thank them very much for arranging to have our laundry done.
Noise at night was a real problem. Outside is the meeting place for all the teenagers in Ortigia, especially on Friday and Saturday nights when we were there.
Above our room was the Roof Garden function room. We think there was a wedding necessitating the constant movement of chairs which kept us awake.
I walked the flight of stairs to the Roof Garden (5th floor level) the next day for a cup of tea. It has amazing views over the water, however, it gets very hot under the retractable style roof.
Service by the staff was very good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The magnificent neoclassical facade of the Des Etrangers Hotel & Spa dominates the harbour of Siracusa in Sicily, from its position on the island of Ortigia. This five-star historical hotel has the elegance and style typical of the grand European hotels and features refined balconies overlooking the sea. Step in style into the grand entrance hall and admire the precious marble floors, the stucco works and gold decor of the walls and high ceilings. This luxury hotel offers world class services in a unique environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, HotelsforEveryone, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Des Etrangers Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Des Etrangers Hotel Syracuse
- Des Etrangers Hotel And Spa
- Des Etrangers Et Miramare Hotel
- Des Etrangers Hotel & Spa Sicily/Syracuse, Italy