“Good Hotel, Staff and Location”
Review of Hotel Gutkowski

Hotel Gutkowski
Ranked #31 of 75 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed July 25, 2014

The Hotel is not easy to find even with a SAT NAV due to the one way roads on Syracuse. Howver once found its easy to relocate as the `island' is not very big.

If you are driving you can either park opposite the hotel (if a space is free) for free or back up the road (one way) for free. The road is the seaview road.

The hotel provides easy access on foot to all parts of the `island' or old town and daily market.
To get to the new part of `mainland' syracuse you may need a bus or taxi if you have not got a car.

The Hotel was comfortable old worldy and the breakfasts very good continental style. The staff were very helpful and welcoming. Some rooms have a great sea view across the road.

My only complaint was about the noise in the street on friday night. Young moped riders up and down the road and some locals singing their way home from whereever.

I would think the hotel is as good as it gets for facilities, ease of parking, location etc. on the `island'.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room and avoid staying at weekends.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 19, 2014

The rooms are clean, simple and quietly comfortable, no frills. We had a sea view which was a wonderful way to wake up on the first night of our holiday. The only downside of this is that the road is in front of the sea so it's not entirely peaceful. I would try to get the room on the top of the building opening on to the terrace. Breakfast was fine though I think it would be nice to find some way serve it up on the terrace.
The real gem of this place is Bistrot Neo Gut, the separately run restaurant (reviewed elsewhere on this site) which was some of the best Italian food I have ever eaten.
So my feeling as someone in the restaurant business, is that this is a comfortable Hotel, run by people who understand design but who are somewhat reluctant to widen the hospitality to food.
We were recommended other restaurants on our arrival which weren't half as good and I know this is because the owner doesn't want to appear to be pushing people into the restaurant. But when you have a jewel, why keep it hidden?
And breakfast on the terrace - with a little more effort: home made yoghurt, farm cheeses and charcuterie - would be sensational.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Arriving in Ortigia, GPS gave us a hard time reaching Hotel Gutkowski as it wanted us to drive the wrong way on one way streets, but when we got there, we found free parking across the street by the sea. We didn't want to move the car during our entire stay of three days though as parking is rare in Ortigia unless you pay for it in the Talete garage, which is a five-minute walk away though something like a euro per hour. This is not a fault of the hotel but just the nature of parking in town. Gutkowski is well situated to walk all over Ortigia. It's less than ten minutes to the daily market and the same to reach the center of town, and we enjoyed these strolls through winding residential streets. Getting to "mainland" Siracusa does require a bus, taxi, or willingness to walk 40 minutes, though this is true no matter where you stay in Ortigia.

We stayed on the second floor in the main building in a room that reminded us of the Greek islands in terms of decor. I'm not sure what people mean when they call it "minimalist." It isn't opulent but reflects an antique, Mediterranean island style. We didn't have a sea view but had easy (and generally private) access to the rooftop patio where we ate lunch alone and had a beautiful view of the ocean across the street.

Breakfast had a good selection of items: pastries, fruit, cereal. staff were friendly and helpful. The previous residents of our room had taken the keys with them to Rome, but staff provided us a second set. Usually the keys here are hooked to a massive wooden heart keychain--not sure how you'd put that in your pocket, but we didn't have to figure it out. We will be back again when we visit Ortigia in the future.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2014

The good first:
Excellent location
Helpful Woman at front desk when we checked it and checked out. Lots of helpful advice and directions.
Bikes available for borrowing (bring your helmet).
Good restaurant (not cheap though) with good service.
Negative:
A different clerk gave me an extra key to room without including key to entry door. I was locked out for over an hour after midnight....had to ask Italian Police for help. While a simple mistake by the male clerk, it could have costed me a night of sleep...fortunately only 90 minutes were wasted pounding on the door to get it! Had this not happened I would have given 4.5 stars.
Neutral: The triple room with no seaview is very basic but then for the price (140E)....it's what should be expected for this nice section of Ortigia. It's also near parking. Lastly, It was not noisey like the seaview rooms have been reported to be. Also the bathroom was large. While overall it was acceptable, next time I think I will stay with Carolyn in her quaint 1 room B&B!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank JimA1
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I loved Syracuse and the Hotel Gutkowski! The location of the hotel was ideal as it was in the old quarter of Syracuse so everything was easily walkable. The hotel has a cool vibe--it's minimalistic, but also a bit shabby chic at the same time. And the breakfasts are absolutely lovely! I would stay at the hotel again in a heartbeat and I hope to make it back there some day. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: We didn't have a sea view, but those that do looked beautiful!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We stayed five nights in this delightful hotel. The location is perfect and the staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. The rooms (both double but in our case in single occupation) were more than adequate, simple but tasteful; one was on the front and the other on a side alley. We needed easy access and there is a lift, an additional asset. There is also a nice terrace where you can have a granita in the early evening.
The breakfast is excellent. We also recommend the restaurant, Gut Bistro, which is run separately: twice we had dinner there and were not disappointed; the staff was equally friendly , even helping us to find a parking place. We chatted to some of the other guests and they all seem to enjoy the place.

Room Tip: We were in the main building; I cannot judge the other one but it looks very similar.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank sebastian70
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Booked a double room in DECEMBER last. Specifically asked for a sea view. Arrived to find that they had made an error with my booking, but was assured that after the first night my "sea view" room would be available. The room we did have for the first night had not been cleaned properly- there was a half bottle of water still in the minibar from the previous occupant along with toiletries. On the second day we returned in the afternoon to be shown into a room that had a strip of sea visible over a brick wall and a car park. Paula was less than concerned about my disappointment. The photos on their website would indicate a single site, with front rooms having unobstructed views. Beware that the hotel is in two sites, close together, but quite distinctly different in aspect. This of course was not communicated to me when I made my booking. I have spent the last 3 years studying very hard, with a trip to Sicily as my reward. Perhaps my desire to have the perfect holiday heightened my expectations, but the hotel website and booking communications did not alter those expectations.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple