“Great location and simple but characterful design.”
Review of Hotel Gutkowski

Hotel Gutkowski
Ranked #25 of 74 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This was a great place for part of our family summer holiday as it was in a great location, only a short car journey from stunning nature reserve beaches and with an amazing market just around the corner from your front door, what more could you want?

We visited with 2 teens and a 10 year old and we all had a very enjoyable experience with fantastic weather and delightful staff. It really is more than you could expect for their price!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Alex C
There are newer reviews for Hotel Gutkowski

Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is a small boutique hotel in two buildings close together. We were away from the main reception and had a room overlooking the sea. The room was very clean, bright and very comfortable, with a great view. There was no noticeable traffic view. The bathroom was perfect. The staff were very friendly, and gave useful advice about where to eat. The breakfast was just what we wanted. Overall, I would definitely recommend it - book ahead. We used iescape.com.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view are bright, spacious and worht asking for.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Located on the seafront of Ortigia this small hotel offers a great view. The best place to enjoy the panorama is the terrace. It is divided in two separate buildings 30 meters apart, one for the rooms and the other for the reception and the breakfast room. It is within walking distance of all the sites of Ortigia where it is no problem to walk the streets and the alleys even at night. Parking is available on the lungomare.

Our room had a sea view which on one side was great, but on the other side had the huge disagreement to be terribly noisy as the traffic never stops on the lungomare and the soundproofing is nonexistent. It was like having the bed on the sidewalk. Room was small and deprived of any decoration: the only item on the walls was a flat TV with no international channels. Furniture was of odds and ends and nightstand looked like Ikea. Bathroom was small and basic, well in line with the room. WiFi available in the lobby. Breakfast was frugal and could be more elaborate: juices and pastries only. Service was good but nothing exceptional.

To account for the location and the friendly service we'll give it an average minus, not to mention a room rate too expensive by 10 percent at least.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chagoule
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I was there for six nights. I arrived at 11:15 pm for my first night, and upon entering the room found a large, deep puddle of water covering most of the bathroom floor. I called the clerk up, and he figured the water had come from the air conditioning unit. He promised that the problem would be fixed the next day. The 'solution' turned out to be that they disconnected the air conditioner. Every day I was there, I pointed out that the air conditioner wasn't working; every day I received smiling assurances that the problem would be fixed that day. It never was. Alas, the inability of the hotel staff to solve the problem of no air conditioning during a Sicilian summer knocks down the rating, even though other aspects of my stay were fine. If your room at the Gutkowski has a problem, don't expect a solution from the staff.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lthoth
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Have just returned from Sicily and spent three nights in this hotel. It consists of 2 buildings almost next to each other. The rooms were spacious, characterfull and very clean. The reception and breakfast room were in the other block but this was no problem. Basic but adequate breakfast, large comfy bed and Aircon set at perfect temperature. Would definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I don't know if I am more sensitive towards this wonderful hotel after my very unpleasant experience with another hotel in Syracuse, but I truly, really loved it.
In fact it was the first hotel I put my eyes on when searching accommodation in Syracuse. But due to some changes in my trip schedule I was so stupid to cancel it (and lose the room with a sea view) because they couldn't give me the same room for both nights I was staying. Stupid, stupid me :). But lesson learned and now I want to share it with you.
I stayed only 1 night, in a room with backyard view, but I didn't mind a bit. I loved everything: the design, the furniture, the lights, the harmony, the smells, the atmosphere, the staff, the breakfast. Everything.
Maybe the breakfast could have been more complex, maybe it would have been nice to have internet up in the room... and other little things like those. But it doesn't matter! You can feel that this hotel was made with passion and heart. And that is what makes it cozy, friendly, calm and simply wonderful.

Room Tip: I suppose the rooms with the sea view are the nicest ones.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Wip_11
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This lovely hotel is ideally placed for the sea and the old city. We stayed in room 11 which does not have a sea view , but does have a bougainvillea on a balcony, and the sound of the sea comes wafting in on the breeze. The place is spotlessly clean, the breakfast is excellent and the staff were helpful and efficient. Stay there. You will love it!

Room Tip: Room 11 avoids the ping of the lift, and also has a private balcony,
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple