“Tourist trap”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
London, United Kingdom
“Tourist trap”
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I should have known. No prices on show. Wine was poor (snacks were nice though), can of Fanta was hotter than my coffee (not a comment on the coffee - the Fanta was red hot). Almost fell over when the bill came. Classic tourist trap. ANYWHERE but here

• Polish first
North Lincolnshire, UK
“Biggest rip-off in Sicily”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

If I'm going to be changed €8 for a couple of double expressos, I like to be told in advance. This cynical little tourist trap doesn't have any menus on the tables - nor does the chart on the wall include any prices. So there's no way of knowing that you're about to have the most expensive expresso of your entire holiday. It wasn't even a particularly good coffee. When I challenged the guy, he was totally unabashed - "that's what it costs...". Moral of the story - always consult your TripAdvisor app before you sit down!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank MFPNLincs
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff, great location and oh boy- brioche con gelato for breakfast!”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We went to Caffe Minerva several times over our stay in Syracuse- it's a lovely location just off Via Roma, with really friendly staff. The owner speaks fluent English and Italian, and gave me some great advice for breakfast choices. The cornetto with ricotta filling are good, but try the brioche con gelato- (I loved the pistachio flavour!) it was delicious.

Service was really good- I felt very taken care of. Thanks also for the advice regarding my (now apparent) mosquito bite allergy!

• Visited September 2013
Brussels, Belgium
“Complete ripoff - attenti grande fregatura”
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Stopped for a Granita with my kids at the Antico Caffe Minerva which looked appealing from the outside with a Tipadvisor "seal of approval" sticker on the door which gave us additional comfort. Granita was nothing special as were the brioches. Service reasonably fast and cordial by the waiter. When I asked for the bill, I was shocked to see an amount nearly double what we would have paid in the other bars of the duomo square (a half granita for the kids charged at €3 for e.g.). The initial bill was given on a receipt without any fiscal validity with a clear intent to evade taxes (for which a client is also liable to pay a fine if caught outside the establishment). Place to be absolutely avoided, and this coming from a local who has a house in Ortigia. Tripadvisor should investigate how its seal of approval sticker is being used in a place with such a low review score

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Massimo Q
Alkmaar, The Netherlands
“Friendly English speaking staff and finally a nice sugar free Freddo:)”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This was a nice alternative of the cafes at the Piazza Duomo of Ortygia where sometimes can be really crowded. We decided to try the Brioche there and I had a sugar free Freddo coffee, which was just great. Everywhere before I have ordered Freddo without sugar they brought it so sweet that I could not drink it. The lady was so friendly and attentive. She spoke fluent English and Italian as well. Maybe they fired this bad guy robbing all people around spring time /reviews based/, because everyone there was so friendly and we had no problem with the bill or whatsoever.

• Visited July 2013