“Lives up to the standard”
Review of Caseificio Borderi

Caseificio Borderi
Ranked #1 of 671 Restaurants in Syracuse
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: street food of Ortigia. Dairy Borderi serves a wide range of products and typical Sicilian cheeses made by hand. We are in the market of Ortigia, and the place we serve our sandwiches and platters. We carry out the catering service and ship all over the world.
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Yep, this place lives up to the report below. 1st Class. Found it at the end of the market where the owners wife was handing out samples of home made cheese (excellent) so we returned when hungry. On entering the shop we were offered portions of prosciutto , cheeses and even a tumbler of wine and we had not even ordered at that stage!

Excellent panne of Mozzeralla, ham and tomato all served with the service you rarely see these days and excellent value for money

Steve

1  Thank buckrogersHampshire
There are newer reviews for Caseificio Borderi

Reviewed June 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I were wandering the fresh fish & foods market and found this little place. It's essentially a small, family-run deli. We were looking for something cost effective and tasty. We asked if we could have little tastes of their meats and cheeses for lunch instead of ordering sandwiches. Once the owner, Andrea, saw we were truly interested in the food, he pulled out all the stops, having us taste many different meats & cheeses on small pieces of bread. He even gave us some beer & wine to go along with them as well as a cannoli for dessert. We purchased some cheese & olive oil as gifts and they had a vacuum sealing machine & were able to seal our items in plastic to preserve & protect them on our flight home. Highly recommend!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

According to our guides, Salvo Ficara and Adriana Breuer, they beg up at 3am to begin making their ricotta. Their cannoli filling will be the standard by which you judge all other cannolis, not to mention their smoked cheeses. The Tricotta cheese (ricotta infornata) is not to be missed. Do whatever you can to get their little plates served to you. This is a flavor expedition. Their wine pairings are spot on.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We were stopped during our excursion through the market in Ortigia by a very friendly woman who offered us a taste of cheese. Next thing I know, the four of us are laughing, eating, and joking not only with this woman, but with an older gentleman (I think her father) who reminded me so much of my Sicilian grandfather. I've never had so many different things to try at one market store, especially without any pressure whatsoever to buy; it was more like just sharing their wonderful wares. Of course, I ended up with about five pounds of the most amazing cheese I've ever had (fresh mozzarella and baked I-have-no-idea-but-it-was-wonderful). And the cannolis? Please. I think we spent most of our vacation sampling cannolis (and even made some in a delightful cooking class in Naxos) and the cannoli at Caseificio Borderi was hands-down the absolute best we had. I still dream about them. I have no idea how they make them so good, but the ricotta filling was my favorite by far. If I could find a way to have them ship their cannolis to the US, I would in an instant. And I would ship the gentleman (I think the owner) to my mom for her birthday. He made her entire vacation. This place alone makes the trip to Ortigia worth it. Thanks for a great experience!

1  Thank geopchick
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This place makes the tastiest, best-value sandwiches in Siracusa....but the main reason to go there is the "experience" - you get given so many hams, salamis, cheeses etc. to taste that you feel like you've eaten a full meal (for nothing!) by the time you leave! Don't go if you're in a hurry because your sandwich will be prepared in front of you, after a great discussion on the different possibilities on offer. The people who run this place are a perfect advertisement for Sicilian hospitality - incredibly friendly, knowledgeable and amusing. As I said it's the "best show in town"!