Gran Bretagna Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Posta(Syracuse)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Algila Ortigia Charme Hotel(Syracuse)
Hotel Le Muse(Syracuse)
Hotel Gutkowski(Syracuse)
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is the perfect location and the hotel staff were friendly and very helpful. Nice rooms and a great breakfast. We were there on our anniversary and it was just the right, can;t wait to get back there.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I've just spent ten days working in Syracuse and I feel really lucky to have come across this hotel. Apart from the brilliant location, it's one of the friendliest and most welcoming places I've ever stayed in. The staff were wonderful and did their best to make it feel like 'home from home'. I've stayed in more luxurious hotels but can honestly say that this family-run hotel is an absolute gem. The breakfasts are excellent - lots of fresh fruit and the whole place is clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: Rooms looking over the courtyard are much quieter. There's wifi but it doesn't reach the third floor.
Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have read the reviews by other satisfied guests whose experiences were happier than mine. We stayed 5 nights recently in the hotel. Being elderly we were surprised to find that the Reception for the hotel was up a flight of stairs on a mezzonine floor. No help was offered to help carry our luggage to the first floor.

When booking the rooms for ourselves and our daughter and husband, I thought I had asked for one classic room with balcony and one classic room without a balcony. I added that we required "a double bed with en suite bathroom, non-smoking with breakfast"

On arrival we were shown a large room on the first floor at the rear of the hotel which contained three beds, with a shower and lavatory facilities. When we came to pay the bill, we were surprised to find that our room was regarded by the hotel as a suite, (it was just one room with two chairs provided), and charged accordingly. ( On looking at the acknowledgement I see that the hotel had confirmed the booking of a suite and a double superior room.)

Our daughters room (in the front of the hotel) and our room at the back suffered from noise from the nearby bars which were open until the early hours.

Whilst the hotel was able to offer a car parking space outside the front door, it was for most of our stay occupied by staff members.

We felt aggrieved to be charged for a suite when clearly our room could not be described as a suite!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Michael F
Marco C, Proprietario at Gran Bretagna Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

The client asked for a suite and at their departure wanted a discount; they stayed 5 nights and if they had some problem why only at the payment and not before?
The only reason of this notice is due to their cheese-paring.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

I had an excellent experience at hotel Gran Bretagna. The staff are exceedingly kind and helpful and the rooms are comfortable and clean. This was the perfect place for me to bring my students during our study abroad trip in Italy and I plan to stay there again in future years.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We very much enjoyed our stay at Hotel Gran Bretagna. The location in the heart of Ortygia is perfect for seeing the most beautiful and historical parts of Syracuse. Our room was large, pretty and comfortable, with a good wireless internet connection. Best of all, the staff were extremely helpful. They carried our heavy suitcases up the stairs, gave us excellent restaurant recommendations, and responded very kindly when I accidentally left my clothes behind in the wardrobe of our room - they immediately offered to post my clothes to me in Belgium, without even asking me to pay the postage costs. They also served a delicious breakfast (more hearty than the usual Italian espresso and pastry). Very happy with our stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 103, which was very nice
Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple