“Excellent location, cleanliness”

Ranked #45 of 232 Syracuse B&B and Inns
Budapest, Hungary
“Excellent location, cleanliness”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Neat b&b with excellent, central location. Giovanni - born and bread in Syracuse - can provide you with great advice on things to check out in the city. Guests share breakfast table, great occasion to have a chat with other guests. Spacious, clean rooms, free wifi and one common computer. Breathtaking (!!) view of the sea and the city from the terrace.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Aniko328

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Greek first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Stayed in a self catering apartment near the Duomo, not the main B & B. Quiet location with unique atmosphere and security, off a narrow street and through a courtyard. Having a kitchen meant that we were able to visit Ortygia's great markets with fresh produce, cheese etc. but also try some of the great restaurants during a four night stay in Siracusa.
The apartment itself was disappointing. It was inexpensive but could not describe it as good value since it was not very clean, the furniture was tired and worn, and the pillows were long overdue for replacement. No WIFI was another disadvantage, though it meant that we discovered the excellent Bakery Viola on nearby Via Roma, and lingered there over coffee and excellent fresh pastries, with WIFI.
It was good to have efficient airconditioning as the weather was warm and humid and the apartment smelled a bit musty at first, as if it had been closed up for some time.
Towels were good quality and were changed during our stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank adonisb101
Wokingham. Berkshire
Reviewed November 20, 2013

The Globetrotter B & B is situated on the island of Ortigia in Siracusa, once crossing the bridge onto the island you will see the Tempio di Apollo in front of you and with the Corso Matteotti and it's elegant shops off to your right where you will find the Globetrotter B & B 100 metres up on the right and if you walk another 150 metres past you will come to The Piazza Archimede with the fountain of the nymph Arethusa the symbol of Ortigia.
The B&B like a lot of small B&B's (it has 5 rooms) though out Italy you will find that they are situated in a medium/large blocks sometimes offices, apartments or both and here at No 45 you will find the Globetrotter situated on the second floor. Before leaving the U.K. I received an e-mail giving me a mobile telephone number to confirm by SMS my approx arrival time at the B&B. I replied giving my flight number etc and within a very short time I received a reply giving me the departure times of all the express buses around my arrival time from Catarnia airport to Siracusa which was very helpful indeed (by the way the fare is 6.40 Euro)
On arrival in Siracusa I sent an SMS giving my ETA and on my arrival was meet by Alessandra, I went through the usual checking in and paying etc, I was then asked if I would like some information about Ortigia and Siracusa so Alessandra sat me down at the table unfold a large map and then started telling me and marking out places of interest, such as Teatro Greco and Catacombs di San Giovanni being just two plus a fair selection of good restaurants around Ortigia, to say she was helpful would be a complete understatement.
I had a double room which was very tastefully decorated in pastel colours and a fair sized bathroom. My room faced out onto the Corso but it had 2 sets of double doors out onto a very small balcony and these certainly did cut down on most of the outside noise, but being a small compact B&B noise inside did carry a bit. Breakfast was between 08.30 and 10.30 and taken in the same room where you checked in, there is a good selection and most certainly enough to get the day kick started. The B&B is perfectly situated and as Ortigia is only 1Km long and 500m wide it's a great location to stay, and as for eating out you are totally spoilt for choice they are everywhere.
I stayed for 4 nights at the Globetrotter I found it a great place to stay not only for it's location but also great value for money. If I had one criticism it would be that the base of the shower tray could do with a touch of bleach to brighten (clean) it up, you may ask why have I give this B&B 5 out of 5 for cleanliness, well if I drop it to 4 that is 20% of the total marks and I think that is far to much, and unfair, for such a small issue when all is needed to sort it out is a bottle of bleach.
My overall impression of the Globetrotter is a great place to stay, nicely decorated and great value, but also the impression about my stay was greatly helped by the genuine helpfulness and kindness I received from Alessandra to insure that my visit to Ortigia ran smoothly and for a first time visitor to Ortigia a tremendous help it was.
Would I recommend staying here.............................. I Certainly Would !!!!

Chris Leavy.
Independent Traveller.
With 3 Credits in the Rough Guide Travel Books.
(France, Turkey and China).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank ItsLeavy
North Canton, Ohio
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Allessandra was the perfect hostess: warm, kind, friendly, knowledgeable and so helpful! The location of the B&B could not be better...easy access to all sights and attractions in Siracusa! While on a busy street, the room was quiet, comfortable and large with two balconies overlooking the city...a lovely bonus! Breakfast was served at one large table allowing for conversation and a family atmosphere! Our only comment would be that breakfast itself, while good, was not exceptional... however, great value for the price!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cindy B
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Super experience with great hostess who made sure we will see the city the right way. How to park the car, what to see, when, where, etc. Better customer service than 5star hotel. Excellent room with balcony & air conditioning, great value for the money. Thank you, I recommend without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
Reviewed October 1, 2013

The B&B is one of the top value for money in Catania. My single room, with a twin bed, with independent entry, was clean, spacious and confortable. The noise street was not to loud, but gives some sort of "on the road" feeeling: 29 EUR per night. Breakfast is also very good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Wu G
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Allessandra was an excellent hostess and made me feel very welcome, taking the time to point out places of interest on a local map.The room was a good size and the double bed was comfortable and big enough to allow me to stretch out(I am 6'3" tall).I was also grateful for the air conditioning.My room didn't have an en suite bathroom,which I would normally prefer,however,mine was next door to my room,so it wasn't too much of a problem(just make sure you are wearing a dressing gown or towel,as you can meet other guests in the corridor).The bathroom was small,but adequate.Was surprised to discover that there was no shower gel supplied.Breakfast was fine with a good selection to choose from.All in all,I had an enjoyable stay,in a good location, at a good price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo