“Great food, great service, must visit!”

Le Vin de L'assassin Bistrot
Ranked #18 of 687 Restaurants in Syracuse
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Thank you to the team at this Ortigia restaurant.
As a part of one of my latest 'Tours for Independent-thinking Women', we went there as a group of 14 (guaranteed to make some small restaurants quake!)

Not only did they seat us well, they managed to provide excellent meals in a timely manner for all.
I tried 5 times to photograph the chefs as they worked, but each pic came out a blur! Finally we asked them to stop at the end of the evening (see below).

My dinner was succulent scallops cooked with bacon, followed by a large, perfect creme brulee. The wines were well priced and mostly local. I felt that the food was both well prepared and well priced too.
Will definitely eat here again.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,426)

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Visited here on 24th Oct 2013 and 27th Oct. a year after our previous visit. The restaurant is still as good as ever. Beef bourguignonne was fantastic tender and full of flavouri it came with lovely crispy potato wedges and creamed cabbage. I also had duck and my partner tuna twice, all dishes were excellent. Staff were friendly, efficient and knowledgable. The wine list was excellent too.
B.T. Glasgow.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Just a few yards from our apartment, and recommended by others, we had to try this one out. We had to eat inside since all the street and courtyard tables had gone, and we were seated by a family table with several children (sometimes a recipe for anguish), but it worked out. The menu is on a chalk board (both sides) which gives a homey flavour. Italian orthography is a bit different, but just make an effort and all will be revealed. Or ask the waiter. I had to have scallops since we're by the sea. Good choice. And indeed all four of us were happy diners, and drinkers. They even knew how to handle a credit card! Not always guaranteed in Sicily.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed in Ortigia for ten days and we were getting fed up of eating pizza or a limited (even though lovely) Sicilian menu. So we booked here. Good choice-varied and interesting and well cooked. They know their wine here and the service was good too. It was more expensive than most other places we ate in but we felt it was worth it. We would recommend to ease a jaded palate or if you fancy a non-Italian treat!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I were really looking forward to eating here. We were seated in the lovely side courtyard which is very pretty. The wine was good as was the service but I am disappointed to say everything else was average. This was the most expensive meal we have on our 10 day stay in Ortigia...and it was the least enjoyable. The snails were good and the goats cheese starter was also nice - but nothing amazing. For mains we had lobster - which was lovely but on the side was rice which tasted as if it was out of a microwave bag.. My husband had steak tartare which came with cream cheese...which he did not personally like. As we were eating French we thought that the desserts would be an experience. My husband had pear tarte tartin - a rare dessert for him and I had the crème brulee....the tartin was soggy on the bottom and my crème brulee was distinctly average. This is my only critical review of all of our meals in Ortigia and I don't relish leaving such negative feedback.....but, all of our other meals which cost us just over half of the price of this meal were more enjoyable and definitely better value. Service and location good but food average and overpriced.