“So close to the top mark, but please smoke outside!”

Le Vin de L'assassin Bistrot
Ranked #16 of 671 Restaurants in Syracuse
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We spent Christmas week in Syracuse, just around the corner from this small restaurant. We had dinner here twice and we loved it. The food was very good, the service was excellent and the open kitchen provided entertainment. The place was full both times, so it is a popular place, The only things that was not perfect was that we think they could have matched the wine with the food a bit better and also some of the dishes were a bit to unimaginative for a place like this. And, as the reviewer before me mentioned, the smoke from the bar in the next room drifted into the dining area. It´s not that cold in Syracuse, not even in December.
That said, I can definitely recommend this place. The duck!

There are newer reviews for Le Vin de L'assassin Bistrot

Reviewed December 19, 2012

What a shame as my husband I dined here after booking at short notice, the food was great but the manager/ owner was smoking in the adjoining room where the wines were kept and the cash register. It got worse as has was allowing customers to join him, being both non smokers our night wa ruined. I don't dislike smokers, but I certainly dislike smokers that are not considerate to those that don't smoke.

2  Thank Dirrello
Reviewed December 17, 2012

This unique restaurant has a special ambiance! The delicious, unique food is complimented by the warm, cosy setting and friendly staff. The food is rich in flavor, bursting with creativity, and is simply yet elegantly presented.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

What a lovely place in Oritiga to eat. The food is special and the ambience is terrific. Great service and flavourful dishes. Highly recommended - make sure you make a reservation then you're in!

Reviewed November 25, 2012

My girlfriend and I were in Siracusa this Thanksgiving weekend and when I asked her where we should eat she opened up Tripadvisor and said, "hey, there's a french bistrot in Siracusa and we should try it". I'm normally not one to eat foreign food in Sicily except Sicilian or Italian but my girlfriend really wanted to try it so we did. We eat out 2-3 times a week and this was one of the best dinners I've had in the past year. It put as big a smile on my face as when I ate at Pino Cuttaia's La Madia a few months ago and that's saying something.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't recall the owner's name but he was fantastic going to great lengths to explain the menu, help us with wine selections, and overall make us feel at home.

The quality of ingredients used in the kitchen were as high a quality as any restaurant I've ever eaten at, absolutely as good as it gets. I started out with a lobster salad, I half lobster still in the shell over a bed of mixed greens with a very tasty vinaigrette over the greens. I'd forgotten how good how a vinaigrette could be when executed properly. Main course was boeuf bourguignon cooked for 5 hours and in it's simplicity was delicious. Again basic peasant fare elevated to something very special. My dessert was ice cream profiteroles with a chocolate sauce that was superb, made inhouse as was everything we enjoyed, the quality of the chocolate used is rarely seen at other restaurants including Michelin starred ones. My other friends all had chosen different menu choices and all four of them thought as I did that this was an excellent meal. Could I get nitpicky and find a fault during the evening, I tried and I failed. Including wine the meal cost about 45 euro a person, very good value for the money. This dinner really put a smile on my face and plan on going back as soon as I can!

I would say that if you're somewhere on the island of Sicily then this is a destination restaurant to take the time to drive to and enjoy. Reservations are a must so call ahead.