“An Unexpected Gem in Siracusa”

Le Vin de L'assassin Bistrot
Ranked #40 of 742 Restaurants in Syracuse
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My girlfriend and I were in Siracusa this Thanksgiving weekend and when I asked her where we should eat she opened up Tripadvisor and said, "hey, there's a french bistrot in Siracusa and we should try it". I'm normally not one to eat foreign food in Sicily except Sicilian or Italian but my girlfriend really wanted to try it so we did. We eat out 2-3 times a week and this was one of the best dinners I've had in the past year. It put as big a smile on my face as when I ate at Pino Cuttaia's La Madia a few months ago and that's saying something.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't recall the owner's name but he was fantastic going to great lengths to explain the menu, help us with wine selections, and overall make us feel at home.

The quality of ingredients used in the kitchen were as high a quality as any restaurant I've ever eaten at, absolutely as good as it gets. I started out with a lobster salad, I half lobster still in the shell over a bed of mixed greens with a very tasty vinaigrette over the greens. I'd forgotten how good how a vinaigrette could be when executed properly. Main course was boeuf bourguignon cooked for 5 hours and in it's simplicity was delicious. Again basic peasant fare elevated to something very special. My dessert was ice cream profiteroles with a chocolate sauce that was superb, made inhouse as was everything we enjoyed, the quality of the chocolate used is rarely seen at other restaurants including Michelin starred ones. My other friends all had chosen different menu choices and all four of them thought as I did that this was an excellent meal. Could I get nitpicky and find a fault during the evening, I tried and I failed. Including wine the meal cost about 45 euro a person, very good value for the money. This dinner really put a smile on my face and plan on going back as soon as I can!

I would say that if you're somewhere on the island of Sicily then this is a destination restaurant to take the time to drive to and enjoy. Reservations are a must so call ahead.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,603)

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We arrived without a booking but despite the inside being booked out we were offered a table outside. Several other diners were being fitted in this way. It was atmospheric and we were well looked after despite the business. We both had entre and main courses. Partner who loves his duck choose the Duck with honey. This turned out to be a breast which he says is one of the best he has had - tender and delicious. I had scallops which had come from France but they were really well handled, simple with bacon and a spicy sweet sauce with a little risotto with basil. it was delicious. The goat cheese spring rolls were simple but tasty with some fried basil on the side which spiced them up. Partner had a small half lobster with salad - also tasty but plain probabley the least interesting of the dishes in fact. Service was friendly and helpful (for English only speakers) and didn't mind explaining ingredients and helping with the wine. We felt the main courses were the stand out but the whole experience was very pleasant and a reasonable cost for the type of place and food we thought (around E80 with wine).

Reviewed November 15, 2012

A real find in Syracusa. Start with the broccoli quiche, the nicest and largest portion I have eaten, particularly as a starter. Beouf Borgignon a real treat - lovely beef and great flavours. Be tempted by the dolci - if you have space. Lovely atmosphere, charming waitress and helpful host.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

We found this restaurant through the Rough Guide. The food was simply delicious and the staff were efficient and welcoming.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We walked past, looked in and we were warmly welcomed! Really friendly staff and we had a super meal. Seemed like a local place, nicely off the more touristy path and much more enjoyable as a result. Thoroughly recommended