“Good value, tastefully renovated and great location (but be careful about where you park your car)”

Royal Maniace Hotel
Ranked #14 of 74 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

This is a very nice hotel, the quality of the renovation is excellent and the finish of the fixtures and fittings is top notch. I must admit that we found the one way streets of Ortigia very hard to navigate and consequently we ended up parking in a back street nearby as it was the nearest we could get to the hotel. The reception was helpful and although the receptionist did inform us that our car would be fine where we had parked it, we did end up getting a parking ticket! The room was well furnished and the bathroom had a nice selection of products. The wifi was very fast and easy to connect to. The breakfast buffet was one of the better ones that we had in Sicily, a nice selection. Overall a very nice hotel but be careful about where you park your car.

Stayed: March 2014
There are newer reviews for Royal Maniace Hotel

Reviewed March 6, 2014

I have got a room with a small balcony with sea view which was really great. The room was spacious and always clean. Breakfast was not bad at all. I have checked many hotels before making my booking, and Royal Maniace is definitely the best combination of price and quality in Ortigia.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We just got back from 5 nights at the Royal Maniace Hotel - a wonderful experience! Location- picturesque and lovely, easy walking distance to anything on Ortigia. The room- spacious and simply decorated, comfy beds, wonderful marble bathroom, well stocked with amenities. We were on the ground floor, there was a little stone staircase that led to a window overlooking the sea. Breakfast- tons of pastries and cakes, eggs, bacon, fruit, meat, cheeses, yogurt, cereal, breads, juices and coffee to order. The staff- I thought they went above and beyond. I had not called ahead but was offered a nearby parking spot on arrival (which certainly saved me money every day!) the maid went out of her way to keep my overflowing pile of clothes in order, everyone was very cheery and polite. I never heard another guest in the hall or from my room. The best hotel by far of my Sicily adventure.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank katiebugstars
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Royal Maniace Hotel Ortigia, Siracusa Sicily Italy is in a great location right at the seafront of Ortigia Island. With all the one way roads on the island not an easy location to find initially but once you get there (and you can park right in front of the Hotel) you don’t need your vehicle anymore. It’s walking distance from the beautiful historical center and an abundance of nice Restaurants. The two storey old property has been tastefully renovated and has all the amenities a world traveler requires. I recommend you to reserve a room on the first floor with a terrace overlooking Ioniam Sea. The staff was extremely hospitable and also very helpful in recommending Restaurants.

Room Tip: Reserve a room on the first floor with a terrace overlooking Ioniam Sea
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My husband and I just got back from a stay at the Royal Maniace. I had been quite excited about staying at this beautifully restored Hotel right on the sea-front. Sadly, our short stay here was marred for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I had specifically requested a parking space since we would by traveling to Sicily by car and my husband has special needs and could not walk distances. Unfortunately, the receptionist had not kept one of the spaces assigned to the hotel for us, so we went round in circles all over Ortygia for at least 30 minutes and ended up parking at least a hundred metres away. Not a good start at all, especially for my husband and me carrying the luggage etc. I had booked and paid for a seaview room but was hugely disappointed because our room with a tiny balcony was not on the facade but recessed and gave onto a yard full of boxes etc with the sea view beyond it. Not my idea of a sea view room. The room was very large but very coldly decorated, to the point where it felt bare. The sanitary ware in the bathroom was not steady so that I was afraid I might end up on the floor at any minute!The corridors where very depressing and bare, so footsteps and slamming doors echoed noisily throughout the night and early morning. Breakfast was good but sadly enough, when we saw that the Sicilian rikotta had finished and asked for it to be replenished, they surprisingly said they don't have any more....and this was only 9am! Very disappointing for a 4* Hotel. On the whole, I would not rate this hotel as a four star and found our experience to be disappointing and the staff very indifferent.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Cachia
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We arrived at the Maniace kind of late, it was almost 10 pm. The recepcionist was extremely kind and even managed to obtain a special parking permit for us since we were travelling by car and the hotel does not have its own parking (as is the case in most hotels on the Ortigia Island).
The reception area is delightful and classy, yet modern.
We paid for the deluxe sea view room and were not disappointed at all. The room was large, modernly decorated and full of light (this we could see in the morning). It had its own small balcony with two chairs where you could sit and just take in the marvelous sea view. It is well worth paying the extra from a standard room.
We had a very needed and amazing rest. Although the area is full of small restaurantes, bistrots and bars, it is quiet at night and affords good quality sleep.
Un fortunately we overslept past breakfast time so I cannot say anything on this point.
Trully reccomendable if you want to stay on the Ortigia part of the island. My only suggestion would be to open a bar service at night for guests.

Room Tip: Just go for the deluxe room with sea view. It is totally worth the money.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2013

The Royal Maniace Hotel is very well located on the Ortigia island, the historic centre of Siracusa. In the neighborhood you find narrow street, pleasant restaurants and not least the cathedral square, one of the most beautiful piazzas to be found. The hotel is a beautiful refurbishment of an ancient building, with the apsis of an adjoining church literally coming into the breakfast room. The rooms are nice, but not out of the ordinary. A few rooms have sea view, which clearly is a bonus. The bath rooms are nice, but unfortunately there were a couple of technical flaws, like a "difficult" toilet flush and a shower wall fitting that tended to come off. In principle, there is sea access via a ladder from the street, but this was undergoing repari. A great place to spend 2-3 days in Siracusa.

Room Tip: Sea view is great but has a little bit of traffic noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple