We recently stayed three nights at the Algila and had an excellent experience. I liked that the hotel isn't cookie-cutter at all and maintains the charm and unique layout of a historic structure, combined with nice mod cons (two elevators, Bulgari products in the bathrooms, good a/c...)
We had three rooms of varying sizes, among them 401 which opens onto a large roof deck with jacuzzi -- really nice. My single room (301) was small with a very small bathroom / tiny shower -- but was priced to reflect that vs. the other rooms we had -- and was comfortable if simple nonetheless.
The breakfasts were very good, with an appealing array of fruits, cakes, breads, meats, cheeses etc. as well as egg dishes / omelets made to order and served in atmospheric rooms. A dinner in the restaurant -- included in our stay -- was less successful; we were the only people there, and while the service very accommodating, the food was good but not great.
Marcello at the front desk was most hospitable and very patient and helpful with advice about parking, beaches, restaurants etc. -- very professional, energetic and a total pleasure. The hotel also provides thick, freshly-laundered towels and sun umbrellas for beach trips, and bicycles for riding around the magical streets of Ortigia.
I would definitely return to and happily recommend the Algila Hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel is located in an exquisite ancient building on the waterfront of Ortigia, the historic centre of Syracuse. Giving onto the ancient "Mastra Rua," where the Siracusan nobility resided from the 14th century, the hotel is a starting point for cultural itineraries. Its recent restoration maintains the original structure made of three buildings, contributing to its dynamic layout. Rooms are furnished differently with antique furniture, four-poster beds and refined interior decoration with distinctive Sicilian touches and Mediterranean features such as colorful bathrooms tiles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, getaroom.com and Hotel.de so you can book your Algila Ortigia Charme Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Algila Ortigia Charme Syracuse
- Hotel Algila Ortigia Charme
- Algila Ortigia Charme Hotel Sicily/Syracuse, Italy